wheel offset

chiliredDX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wheel offset questions...

i am in the process of ordering some Rota RB 15x7s for my 92 EH2 and need to know whether i should go with the 30mm offset or 40mm offset.

how about for starters, what is offset and what is the offset, if any on my stock setup?

what will a 30mm/40mm do for the look and ride?

chiliredDX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wheel offset
The wheel's offset is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. To determine wheel offset:

* Position the wheel on a flat surface and measure its overall width.
* Divide the overall width by two, then subtract this result from the backspace value.

Offset = Backspace - (Rim Width ÷ 2)

The offset of a wheel can be one of the following three settings:

Zero offset:
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive offset:
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front-wheel drive cars.

Negative offset:
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheel's centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically negative offset.

Zenray

7@WOT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just out of curisoity is there any benefit to running wheels with a negative offset on a front wheel drive car? Feel free to bash if i asked a stupid question

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
first off all, check this thread out...it helped me to understand a lil better:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/printthread.php?t=12533

second, from another thread I found it sounds like there would be a benefit to negatively offset wheels in the front, itd be giving you a wider tire which in turn = better handling? someone correct me if im wrong, but thats what I got from it.

Zenray

7@WOT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sk8shorty017 said:
first off all, check this thread out...it helped me to understand a lil better:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/printthread.php?t=12533

second, from another thread I found it sounds like there would be a benefit to negatively offset wheels in the front, itd be giving you a wider tire which in turn = better handling? someone correct me if im wrong, but thats what I got from it.
Thx very helpful. I was wondering the same thing which is why i asked the question. I read in a thread some where that it could possibly increase handling, if i went a lower offset and i was thinking about spacers and what that could do to my handling?

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, it sounds as though that with a negative offset, the wheels are further away from the car, so like imagine the handling of 2 tires 1 ft apart and then imagine the handling youd get with 2 tires 7ft apart or so... i believe it kinda of has to do with spreading the "force" of the road over a greater area or distance, which in turn gives you better handling, if that makes sense.

Zenray

7@WOT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It makes sense. Any one around here actually tried it? Wanted to know exactly what their offset was and it they had any probelms with rubbing or anything else I had thought of.

chiliredDX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, after reading that thread, im thinking a 30mm offset is the way to go... however, still not quite comfortable.

went to the sticky with the website that allows you to check out various tire combinations with wheel offset/size.

feeling much better about those 30mm offsets

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
stock civics are +42 to +45mm the lower the number the more the wheel and tire will stick out