Which alarm?

Which alarm/start combo?

• Total voters

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am looking for an alarm/remote start combo since I am going to have to commute everyday to my clinical for school early in the morning and I don't wanna freeze. I was looking at the Viper 790vx, Audiovox Prestige aps996 and aps997 and the compustar 2wfm-s. It is safe to install the Viper and Prestige on a manual cuz I can't find anything saying no, but I know the compustar has a different specific brain for the manual. If you have any of these can you give some feedback.

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the viper will need a neutral safety switch installed as well as the audiovox I beleive. Neither of those two companies offer a nss built into their alarms.
Now compustar has an on board nss built into some of their models.

A nss cost $140.00 so I would go compustar

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn that is crazy. A guy at the shop in my town said you can get the part for 20-40 buckk, but I don't know how hard it would be to install.

Panathrasher

5+ Year Member
I have the original Clifford Matrix system and I love it. The Viper system is the same thing with Viper logo on it. If you want more alarm info look at www.directed.com they make viper, clifford, python and a few others.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
compustar, all the way. I love their products.

civic_tj

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a couple friends with compustar and they all seem to like it!

Jas0n

What's up dogz!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
we install viper and compustar in the shop but it seems that compustar remotes fail a lot, Viper is the system to go with no problems at all, and is one of the top line brands in the US as far as I know.

HP Civic 2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have the Viper...only complaint I have is the range kinda sucks...The pager is great and all, if you are within viewing distance...

With that said, I have heard many great things about the compustar as far as range goes...so I guess you have to weigh out the pros and cons of each...

boricuacvc

El Gistro Mami!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
u can install the vipers on stick shift vehicles, but it is definitely not safe.

TJ92Civic

WeRd
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a Compustar, and the 2 way remote stopped working right, it would send the signal, but would not recieve. Had GREAT range. And the Compustar uses one brain for auto or manual, if you are putting it into an auto, there is a little wire loop that you cut. And the one that I had would leave the car running, after you take the key out, then when you get out and shut the door it would shut the car off, and arm it. That way it knows it is in nuetral, and it wont remote start if the alarm goes off, or any doors are opened.

tim

Grendel

Banned
My Python doesn't remove the NSS has odd features*rolls window down* but was free I'm pretty happy with it.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
just curious, how does a remote-start system work for a manual tranny car?

cujo613

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its pretty simple when you stop the vehicle you
1. hit the brake
2. pull the e brake
3. use the transmitter to keep the car running.....with nss outboard systems.
4. put the car in neutral.
5. when you get out of the car and close the door the system recognizes that you are not an idiot who just left his car in gear because you just left a car with the engine running. It shuts down the engine and readys it for autostart.

any entry into the vehicle after this process will not let it start

Rick James

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Panathrasher said:
I have the original Clifford Matrix system and I love it. The Viper system is the same thing with Viper logo on it. If you want more alarm info look at www.directed.com they make viper, clifford, python and a few others.
i have the new 10.5x and am very pleased wiht it

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think I am getting the compustar if I can find it somewhere where they don't charge an arm and a leg.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
and these are two way pager alarms right? how much do they run?