Which engine oil is the best for my civic?

Tengty

Teng Ty
Hey, i was wondering which engine oil is best for my civic to work well? I drive a 97 lx civic with d16y7, no any upgrade, all in stock!

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
I don't know what brands of oil are over where you are at, but generally, a good 5W30 is a good weight combo. It has a very wide temperature spectrum.

Also, I don't know if you are able to get these oils, but oils with the ILSAC GF-4 Starburst (It should be on the front of the bottle) are going to be the best oils you can get.

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I always used Castrol Synthetic 5w30. Never had any problems. Seems to make the car idle smoother. I run it on my S4 too.

ekracer_83

hardcore rice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
since your car is just stock with y7, just get conventional oil.

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
mobil 1 synthetic if it's good enough for corvettes and vipers it's good enough for your little 4 banger

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Don't use synthetic unless you already use it. Otherwise use conventional until after you build the engine or something. Because using synthetic after using alot of conventional oil that "gunk" that it gets off could very well clog up valves and ports anywhere. I've seen it happened over 5 times. Just my 0.02

I'm running conventional til after I tear open the block, clean everything up and do a slight build.

evilrilla2

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I always get the one on sale on Autozone, oil is oil. However, lately i made a switch to syntethic blend, its a mixture of regular oil and synthetic. Do not go all synthetic though. It iwill mess up your motor. I made the switch because I want my engine to reach 220,000 miles. The bottle says it is guaranteed. So I stack up when that is on sale.

Jayskie

5+ Year Member
I go 50/50 (conventional and synthetic) every 3-4,000 miles after I was hearing engine a bit louder every 3,000 miles or so. Kind of let me know when it was time for oil change. Now, engine runs very smooth.

C0mradeAlex

5+ Year Member
10w30 is what i would recommend. Old civics like it thicker. For what brand you should buy. I recommend any regular motor oil brand long as it isn't Pennzoil.

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
only if i had a £ for everytime i seen this question asked.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
10w30 is what i would recommend. Old civics like it thicker. For what brand you should buy. I recommend any regular motor oil brand long as it isn't Pennzoil.
why not pennzoil?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i've gone through a lot of oil brands/weights/types, and finally settled on mobile 5000 10w-30. my motor just likes it i guess so i've been using it 3 years now

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dislike Pennzoil because it and jiffy lube are the same company.
ok. whats your grudge with jiffy lube/pennzoil? not flaming you im personally a fan of castrol gtx im just curious