Which setup is better for my daily driver

vtecmuscle

Hello. I'm very new to this forum and I apologize in advance if this is a repost. In that case you can just link me to the other one. Well I'm trying to lower my ej8 on this wheel I found. I really want the wheels but I dont know if the wheel would be too big for the setup or the setup might be too low that my tires rub. Let me know what ya'll think. Please let me thank you in advance for your help and your opinion. =)

Setup 1

Wheel Spec:

Brand: MSR
Rim Diameter: 17
Rim Width: 7
Offset: 38
Bolt Patter: 4x100

Spring Spec:

Megan Racing Lowering Springs
Lowering rate: 1.75" Front+Rear
Springs Rate: 280F and 230R
With
OEM replacement shocks from Autozone

Setup 2

Wheel Spec:

Rim Diameter: 16

Spring Spec:

Skunk2 Lowering Springs
Drop rate: 2.5"F and 2.25"R
With

PS: The reason I want to get OEM replacement shocks from Autozone is because they come with lifetime warranty so I can get a new one if I blow them but that's just my opinion. Please let me know if you have something better in mind. Also remember this is for a daily driver. I want the appearence to be low at the same time with smoother ride. I've considered coilovers as well but I've heard they are better for trac cars. Since mine is not a trac one I chose springs.

Blood_Shot

Banned
Registered VIP
I daily mine on GC coilovers, as well as Apexi ESV coilovers. Not for track car ONLY, they are for folks who want a quality ride.

vtecmuscle

I daily mine on GC coilovers, as well as Apexi ESV coilovers. Not for track car ONLY, they are for folks who want a quality ride.
Is your ride smooth or is it little bumpier than b4? Which one would you refer? Ground Control or Apexi?

GACivic

NoOb
Registered VIP
I'm pretty sure you'll need aftermarket shocks with the Skunk2 springs. OEM shocks aren't made to be 2.5" lower than normal. I could be wrong though.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I highly recommend to not use OEM replacement shocks, especially if you're lowering more than an inch. It's going to kill them and you'll have a ride quality you will not enjoy. With that being said, neither setup.

I would recommend at least Tokico Illuminas at the very least, if not Koni Yellow's.

Like I tell everyone regarding suspension, never cheap out, do it right the first time and be done with it.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#2 but with koni yellows. instead of OEM replacements.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Setup 1

Wheel Spec:

Rim Diameter: 17

Spring Spec:

Megan Racing Lowering Springs
Lowering rate: 1.75" Front+Rear
Springs Rate: 280F and 230R
With

Setup 2

Wheel Spec:

Rim Diameter: 16

Spring Spec:

Skunk2 Lowering Springs
Drop rate: 2.5"F and 2.25"R
With

PS: The reason I want to get OEM replacement shocks from Autozone is because they come with lifetime warranty so I can get a new one if I blow them but that's just my opinion. Please let me know if you have something better in mind. Also remember this is for a daily driver. I want the appearence to be low at the same time with smoother ride. I've considered coilovers as well but I've heard they are better for trac cars. Since mine is not a trac one I chose springs.
With either of those setups, you will NEED aftermarket shocks. Having the shocks blow out prematurely is just one of the problems. Using OE shocks with those springs will have a horrible ride. The shocks are way under-dampened, esp for the Skunk2 shocks. Which is what causes them to blow out in the first place. The springs are also decrease suspension travel which will affect the shocks. Getting free replacement shocks is great and all, but that just means you'll have to spend the time(time=money) to replace whichever shock is blown. In most cases, you should atleast check your alignment after removing/replacing a suspension component. This could also cost you money in alignments. If your alignment IS off and you don't check it, then your eating money on tires. Which is another thing, the Megan Racing springs you won't need a camber kit, but for the Skunk2 you will because they lower the car too much.

For the Megan Racing springs, you could use Koni STR.T, Eibach shocks, etc.. But for the Skunk2 springs, you should atleast use the Skunk2 Sport Shocks because the spring rates are so high you need an aggressive shock. Tokico Illumina, KYB AGX and Koni Yellow would be other good choices.

I personally never suggest anything from Megan Racing. I would suggest Eibach Pro-Kit, H&R Sports or Tein S.Techs. Just like the Megan Racing springs, the Eibach Pro-Kit and H&R Sports require you to use aftermarket shocks due to their higher spring rates. However, the Tein S.Techs work well with OE shocks since they have softer spring rates and get you at about the same height as the others. So if you're dead set on using OE shocks and getting fairly low, those would be your best option.

As for the wheels, that's more of a personal choice on your end. I'd say go with 16's since they look better, are generally cheaper and buying tires for them would also generally be cheaper. Just IMO.

Decipher

Registered VIP
What exactly do people mean when they say that blown OE shocks will have a "horrible" ride or a ride that "you will not enjoy"? Are y'all saying that in regard to the particular setups he's mentioned, or across the board?

I'm just asking because I'm pretty sure that my factory shocks are blown (due to the fact that I've been riding on them for about a year now with a 2.5" drop) but the ride has been satisfactory, better than expected in fact. My ride is almost identical to the feel of how I remember the factory springs... quick dampening, quick recovery, not bouncy or springy, not too stiff. I go over potholes on the interstate @ 80mph and it's just the initial bounce, then it's recovered. I've been in cars with brand name coil-overs or springs/performance struts and the ride was always harsh, stiff and jittery. That was what I didn't want for my car, and I've been really happy with the ride that I've had on these springs with my factory struts.

Should I believe that my shocks aren't blown after sustaining and enduring a 2.5" drop for a year? If that's the case, what can I expect when they DO blow that is so "horrible" or not enjoyable?

Or are the shocks in fact blown, but I'm still enjoying a smooth and comfy ride due to the spring-rate of the particular lowering springs I have? Because isn't spring-rate the most important factor in determining how the ride will feel? The car's weight is physically sitting on the springs, not the struts... the shocks just buffer and dampen the bounce when the springs are acted upon. Or am I wrong?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What exactly do people mean when they say that blown OE shocks will have a "horrible" ride or a ride that "you will not enjoy"? Are y'all saying that in regard to the particular setups he's mentioned, or across the board?
It is not specific to any spring/shock combination. Even good expensive name brands could be setup to blow out the shocks. It has to do with spring rate and how the shocks themselves are valved.

OE shocks are valved to only be used with springs with a rate less than around (guesstimate)250lbs/in and a reasonable ride height. A lot of aftermarket springs have rates higher than that and drop the car enough to reduce the amount of shaft travel.

The basic job of the shocks is to control the movement of the suspension. Without the shocks, the car would bounce almost uncontrollably and unpredictably. Take a spring on its own and bounce a weight on it, it'll compress then decompress continuously until eventually the spring loses it's energy and comes to a rest. This is pretty much what happens when the shocks are blown, though on a smaller scale since energy is being absorbed through other suspension components so it's not necessarily crazy. Essentially the shocks are no longer able to control the movement of the suspension. This can potentially be dangerous if you're an idiot and drive around with all 4 shocks blown. You could easily lose control of your car..

When you use aftermarket springs with a much higher spring rate than the OE springs on OE shocks, the shocks are now under-dampened. They can still control the movement of the suspension, but not at an adequate rate. The shocks basically can't keep up with the rate at which the suspension is moving in order to control it properly. So you end up bouncing around MORE than you really should. This also hurts performance if you are racing.

I'm just asking because I'm pretty sure that my factory shocks are blown (due to the fact that I've been riding on them for about a year now with a 2.5" drop) but the ride has been satisfactory, better than expected in fact. My ride is almost identical to the feel of how I remember the factory springs... quick dampening, quick recovery, not bouncy or springy, not too stiff. I go over potholes on the interstate @ 80mph and it's just the initial bounce, then it's recovered. I've been in cars with brand name coil-overs or springs/performance struts and the ride was always harsh, stiff and jittery. That was what I didn't want for my car, and I've been really happy with the ride that I've had on these springs on my factory struts.
What is leading you to say your shocks are blown, other than time? There is really no specific time line, spring rate, ride height, etc.. that will determine when a shock will blow out. It is just known that if the spring rate is too high for the shock, it will eventually blow out sooner than it really should if you used the proper spring rates.

Everyone's definition of a comfortable ride is different. I would find it hard to believe that springs with a 2.5" drop on OE shocks would be any bit of a comfortable ride.

In order to be that low, the springs SHOULD have a significantly higher spring rate. Since the Skunk2 springs lower about the same as the springs you have, lets compare. The Skunk2 springs have a rate of 500lbs/in front and 300lbs/in rear. Note that these springs are PROGRESSIVE, just like yours likely are. This means the initial rate is softer and progressively gets stiffer to the 500/300 numbers as you corner hard. The reason the Skunk2 springs have such high rates is because they lower the car so much. The lower you go, the higher the spring rate that is needed to prevent the car from scraping, sagging, etc..
I can only assume that the springs you have would be progressive, which is more likely why the ride may seem decent to you. The rates are also probably lower than the Skunk2 springs, which also helps with ride quality. However, I highly doubt the springs you have would have rates lower than say 300lbs/in. Being that low and have such a soft rate, you would definitely be bottoming out your car and slamming into your bump stops. Which if that's happening, I wouldn't consider the ride to be smooth.

I can tell you that I have Tokico lower springs on OE 140k mile shocks on my daily driver '99 Civic. Lowers the car probably around 1.6" all around. I am unsure of the rates for these springs, but they are definitely not a whole lot stiffer than stock. Best guesstimate would be something like 200-220lbs/in front and 115-135lbs/in rear. On some big dips in the road, the car will bottom out and hit the bumps stops, which I did cut down. The ride quality is excellent, if I didn't tell you, you probably wouldn't know it's on aftermarket springs. Everyone who's ridden in the car hasn't said anything lol. For your car to be almost a full inch lower than mine on OE shocks, I would find it hard to believe that it could have nearly the same spring rate and not bottom out all the time.. All while maintaining a decent ride. Just doesn't make sense.

Should I believe that my shocks aren't blown after sustaining and enduring a 2.5" drop for a year? If that's the case, what can I expect when they DO blow that is so "horrible" or not enjoyable?
There are a few ways to determine if a shock is blown. One is to obviously feel the car when driving it. If the car is bouncing around oddly and feels "loose", chances are a shock(s) are done. Another is to visually check by looking at the shocks. If you see fluid surrounding the shocks, that means the seal for the shaft has gone and there is no longer fluid within the shock to control movement. Another easy way is to do the "Bounce Test".

"BOUNCE TEST
Before you visually inspect the suspension, do a simple bounce test to tell if the shocks or struts are weak. A bounce test is not a very scientific test because it requires a certain amount of judgment. Worn shock absorbers and struts that allow more than one or two gyrations after rocking the bumper up and down and letting go have reached the end of the road and should be replaced. But what about the "marginal" dampers that still soak up some of the bounce, but not as well as new ones? They should probably be replaced, too, to restore like-new handling and ride control."

Taken from this website. http://www.aa1car.com/library/ride1.htm <- plenty of good info. Read it.

Or are the shocks in fact blown, but I'm still enjoying a smooth and comfy ride due to the spring-rate of the particular lowering springs I have? Because isn't spring-rate the most important factor in determining how the ride will feel? The cars weight is physically sitting on the springs, not the struts... the shocks just buffer and dampen the bounce when the springs are acted upon. Or am I wrong?
When a shock is blown, it is usually pretty noticeable. Even more so if you are using aftermarket springs. And I doubt your rates are really comfy, though that is subjective...

Spring rate plays a role in determining how your ride quality will be, but that's just one part of it. The proper shocks matched to the spring rate you use really determines ride quality. There are other factors such as how low you are, what other suspension components you are using(ie: hard bushings, spherical bushings, etc..). Tire size, sidewall stiffness, and compound also aid in ride quality.

You are right with the dampening of the shocks not having a drastic effect on how stiff the ride is. However, say you keep your OE springs and throw on Koni Yellows. You now have over dampened shocks for the spring rates. It is OK, not as bad as having an under-dampened shock. BUT, you will notice the ride quality suffer such that it feels like the suspension "hits harder" when you hit bumps/dips in the road. So again in that sense the shocks play a key role in ride quality.

But, generally yes, the higher the spring rate, the less comfortable the ride should be.

/long a$$ reply;)

Decipher

Registered VIP
It is not specific to any spring/shock combination. Even good expensive name brands could be setup to blow out the shocks. It has to do with spring rate and how the shocks themselves are valved.

OE shocks are valved to only be used with springs with a rate less than around (guesstimate)250lbs/in and a reasonable ride height. A lot of aftermarket springs have rates higher than that and drop the car enough to reduce the amount of shaft travel.

The basic job of the shocks is to control the movement of the suspension. Without the shocks, the car would bounce almost uncontrollably and unpredictably. Take a spring on its own and bounce a weight on it, it'll compress then decompress continuously until eventually the spring loses it's energy and comes to a rest. This is pretty much what happens when the shocks are blown, though on a smaller scale since energy is being absorbed through other suspension components so it's not necessarily crazy. Essentially the shocks are no longer able to control the movement of the suspension. This can potentially be dangerous if you're an idiot and drive around with all 4 shocks blown. You could easily lose control of your car..

When you use aftermarket springs with a much higher spring rate than the OE springs on OE shocks, the shocks are now under-dampened. They can still control the movement of the suspension, but not at an adequate rate. The shocks basically can't keep up with the rate at which the suspension is moving in order to control it properly. So you end up bouncing around MORE than you really should. This also hurts performance if you are racing.

What is leading you to say your shocks are blown, other than time? There is really no specific time line, spring rate, ride height, etc.. that will determine when a shock will blow out. It is just known that if the spring rate is too high for the shock, it will eventually blow out sooner than it really should if you used the proper spring rates.

Everyone's definition of a comfortable ride is different. I would find it hard to believe that springs with a 2.5" drop on OE shocks would be any bit of a comfortable ride.

In order to be that low, the springs SHOULD have a significantly higher spring rate. Since the Skunk2 springs lower about the same as the springs you have, lets compare. The Skunk2 springs have a rate of 500lbs/in front and 300lbs/in rear. Note that these springs are PROGRESSIVE, just like yours likely are. This means the initial rate is softer and progressively gets stiffer to the 500/300 numbers as you corner hard. The reason the Skunk2 springs have such high rates is because they lower the car so much. The lower you go, the higher the spring rate that is needed to prevent the car from scraping, sagging, etc..
I can only assume that the springs you have would be progressive, which is more likely why the ride may seem decent to you. The rates are also probably lower than the Skunk2 springs, which also helps with ride quality. However, I highly doubt the springs you have would have rates lower than say 300lbs/in. Being that low and have such a soft rate, you would definitely be bottoming out your car and slamming into your bump stops. Which if that's happening, I wouldn't consider the ride to be smooth.

I can tell you that I have Tokico lower springs on OE 140k mile shocks on my daily driver '99 Civic. Lowers the car probably around 1.6" all around. I am unsure of the rates for these springs, but they are definitely not a whole lot stiffer than stock. Best guesstimate would be something like 200-220lbs/in front and 115-135lbs/in rear. On some big dips in the road, the car will bottom out and hit the bumps stops, which I did cut down. The ride quality is excellent, if I didn't tell you, you probably wouldn't know it's on aftermarket springs. Everyone who's ridden in the car hasn't said anything lol. For your car to be almost a full inch lower than mine on OE shocks, I would find it hard to believe that it could have nearly the same spring rate and not bottom out all the time.. All while maintaining a decent ride. Just doesn't make sense.

There are a few ways to determine if a shock is blown. One is to obviously feel the car when driving it. If the car is bouncing around oddly and feels "loose", chances are a shock(s) are done. Another is to visually check by looking at the shocks. If you see fluid surrounding the shocks, that means the seal for the shaft has gone and there is no longer fluid within the shock to control movement. Another easy way is to do the "Bounce Test".

"BOUNCE TEST
Before you visually inspect the suspension, do a simple bounce test to tell if the shocks or struts are weak. A bounce test is not a very scientific test because it requires a certain amount of judgment. Worn shock absorbers and struts that allow more than one or two gyrations after rocking the bumper up and down and letting go have reached the end of the road and should be replaced. But what about the "marginal" dampers that still soak up some of the bounce, but not as well as new ones? They should probably be replaced, too, to restore like-new handling and ride control."

Taken from this website. http://www.aa1car.com/library/ride1.htm <- plenty of good info. Read it.

When a shock is blown, it is usually pretty noticeable. Even more so if you are using aftermarket springs. And I doubt your rates are really comfy, though that is subjective...

Spring rate plays a role in determining how your ride quality will be, but that's just one part of it. The proper shocks matched to the spring rate you use really determines ride quality. There are other factors such as how low you are, what other suspension components you are using(ie: hard bushings, spherical bushings, etc..). Tire size, sidewall stiffness, and compound also aid in ride quality.

You are right with the dampening of the shocks not having a drastic effect on how stiff the ride is. However, say you keep your OE springs and throw on Koni Yellows. You now have over dampened shocks for the spring rates. It is OK, not as bad as having an under-dampened shock. BUT, you will notice the ride quality suffer such that it feels like the suspension "hits harder" when you hit bumps/dips in the road. So again in that sense the shocks play a key role in ride quality.

But, generally yes, the higher the spring rate, the less comfortable the ride should be.

/long a$$ reply;)

Yea, I'm going to check them next time I get the car up in the air. I really hope they aren't blown and that the springs I have are just a good match for them, because I really don't want to change anything.

I couldn't ask for a more balanced feel and ride... I drive around in the city for my job and get on the interstate probably 10 - 15 times a day as well. And I often drive hard, pushing the car to its limits when cornering on exits and back roads with S turns(which there are a lot of out here in the mountains). I have never bottomed out, and the only reason I ever scrape(which isn't often, because I know how to drive) is because my exhaust hangs about 1" lower than it's supposed to in the middle.

vtecmuscle

"BOUNCE TEST

/long a$$ reply;)
Sir, you are a GENIUS. Lot of info and all the things i need to know for what I need to look for now. So I guess I'm gonna save up some and go with the either skunk2 springs+shocks or Eibach springs with tokico illumina. No more OE shocks or if i do I guess I'm gonna go with Tien S tech. Either way all the setups are gonna run me around 500-600 and since I plan on doing nothing to the car till school is over gives me the perfect opportunity to save some. Thanks again for your info.

vtecmuscle

I'm just asking because I'm pretty sure that my factory shocks are blown (due to the fact that I've been riding on them for about a year now with a 2.5" drop) but the ride has been satisfactory, better than expected in fact. My ride is almost identical to the feel of how I remember the factory springs... quick dampening, quick recovery, not bouncy or springy, not too stiff. I go over potholes on the interstate @ 80mph and it's just the initial bounce, then it's recovered. I've been in cars with brand name coil-overs or springs/performance struts and the ride was always harsh, stiff and jittery. That was what I didn't want for my car, and I've been really happy with the ride that I've had on these springs with my factory struts.

Or are the shocks in fact blown, but I'm still enjoying a smooth and comfy ride due to the spring-rate of the particular lowering springs I have? Because isn't spring-rate the most important factor in determining how the ride will feel? The car's weight is physically sitting on the springs, not the struts... the shocks just buffer and dampen the bounce when the springs are acted upon. Or am I wrong?
dude thank you for all these questions. Cleared up a lot of things for me and gave me new insight to the situation.