Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Koni Yellow Shocks

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Black99CivicSi

Honda GSR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok I am in the market for some new shocks. Either KYB AGX, Koni Yellow Shocks, or Tokica Illumina's. I want some type of damping but I can't afford the $1,000 + FULL colivers, so I will have to make due with the poor man's type. Any body have any of the named above on their cars? Thanks for your help CC

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you look hard enough you can find skunk2 coil overs for around 500. Got mine for like 480 shipped.

Black99CivicSi

Honda GSR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you look hard enough you can find skunk2 coil overs for around 500. Got mine for like 480 shipped.
damn thats a good deal, JHPUSA.com had them on sell for 589 shipped but their special ended, I have looked at alot of places and the Skunk2 Pro-series ranges from $638 - $673, Where did you get yours at?

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I highly recommened Kyb Agx / Ground Control Coil Over Sleeves, or Koni Yellows and GCs if you can afford them. The Koni's will more than likely be more comfortable on the softer settings than the Kyb and they have great customer service as well. Many, many, many people I know run these on their honda for autoxing and track. Its the prefered strut/shock by almost everyone I know in racing. You should be able to get them online new for a little over 500 I believe.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn thats a good deal, JHPUSA.com had them on sell for 589 shipped but their special ended, I have looked at alot of places and the Skunk2 Pro-series ranges from $638 - $673, Where did you get yours at?
The company I got mine from doesn't exist anymore. I think it was like www.tcautotrend.com

Black99CivicSi

Honda GSR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The company I got mine from doesn't exist anymore. I think it was like www.tcautotrend.com
Dang that sucks, guess i will just have to bit the bullet and pay JHPUSA.com for some Skunk2 coilovers,lol.. do you like them? as in how they ride and handle? any problems out of them or anything? Thanks Blahman and congrats on the moderator position btw :cool:

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Dang that sucks, guess i will just have to bit the bullet and pay JHPUSA.com for some Skunk2 coilovers,lol.. do you like them? as in how they ride and handle? any problems out of them or anything? Thanks Blahman and congrats on the moderator position btw :cool:
Not one problem at all. Love them. If you can afford them, get the Pro-C although pro-S is just as good. Skunk2 products are always more track oriented then street oriented, but I don't have any problems what so ever. Also... don't freak out when you get them cause there are no instructions, the instructions are on the website.

Also, thanks.

ryanM

i have KYB AGX and i havent had any problems.

but if you have the money, get koni yellows.

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what are your intentions for this car? are you looking for nice soft ride or something fairly stiff with decent ride quality??? Budget?

Black99CivicSi

Honda GSR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what are your intentions for this car? are you looking for nice soft ride or something fairly stiff with decent ride quality??? Budget?
Intentions are most daily driven but when street fights open back up at bristol motor speedway i will probably be autox and drag racing. I have factory shcoks and ebay coilovers :roll: that ride like a f**king log wagon, so anything thats better than what it is now, my budget not over umm...700, i had seen Omni coilovers and thought about getting them, Blahman now has me wanting full coilovers,lol, can't decide, I would like to have a dampening but if its not really needed then I will get a skunk2 kit, btwis dampening needed for most daily driving?

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your spending anything over $500+ spend the money on a adj shock setup bro. You'll be more satisfied trust me! If i had $700 to spend and had your intentions, i would pick the following suspension setups.

*spend the extra $100, i mean your spending $7 bills around might as well bro...

rough estimates...
$790- GC (custom spring rates) w/ koni yellows, Add $100+ for GC top hats
$800- AMR, your own custom full coilover with lifetime warranty
$800-Tein SS
$750- PIC apex full coilovers (non adj shocks, but still a very nice DD/track setup, PIC's never disappoint there customers)
$650-$750- FF type II's
$500-$650- Skunk2 slip over coilovers with Tokico Illuminas (best bang for the buck setup)

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm suprised that not more people are suggesting a kyb or koni yellow and ground control setup. If your going to autox it then that setup would prolly be ur best option. Thats what I have and many other competetive cars have as well. The nice thing as well is that you can corner weight it which helps alot w/ handling for autox. Also, you can change the ride height as well. You can do this w/ other setups from skunk2 etc... but honestly I really think that ground control makes better spring combos. Plus for a small added cost you can get custom spring rates if you want something a little stiffer.

90B16Ed

At Your Mom's House
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The KYB and GC is a really good setup, I will admit. A friend of mine had them on his Accord and that was amazing. I had Skunk2 with Tokco's. I would say either or. I love both setups. I guess it comes to money and your personal preference.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I still don't understand with all the full coil overs out there, and the price of sleeves and shocks together almost reaching the same prices. Why anyone would suggest sleeves. Sleeves will never be better then full coil overs... I mean, you hit a big bump tjhe sleeve is going to jump, sure it will reset itself right away but why not skip the head ache.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^ You make a good point about hitting a bump, but I've had mine for almost a year now and havent had any problems whatsoever and cant remember ever having that problem and I've driven atleast 12-15k on these. I haven't used the skunk2 setup or the tein, but honestly I still am a little hesitant to buy them b/c out of all the people I know that autox and race, I can't remember hearing many people say they were running them. I'm sure theyre good quality, but like I said, there is a reason why so many people that race, be it autox or track day, that use Konis; great customer service, great adjustability, great warranty, and they do custom valving as well. If you were to get a coilover I would go w/ a high end one and those wont be cheap. That is say PIC etc... A full coilover is a little overkill for what it sounds like your looking for.

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The KYB and GC is a really good setup, I will admit. A friend of mine had them on his Accord and that was amazing. I had Skunk2 with Tokco's. I would say either or. I love both setups. I guess it comes to money and your personal preference.
the GC/agx setup is okay, but still very soft. Unless you order custom rates, which is $100 per pair of springs. Even then, the AGX's aren't made to withstand high spring rates.

I'm running the agx's with 10k/8k and they are a tad bit underdampened. I have the shocks on full stiff all around too.