Why does the VTEC engage so late?

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
On my 97 EX stock D16Y8, I wanted to know once an forall exactly when VTEC engages because you can't hear/feel it on this SOHC. So I put in a VTEC light (inconspicuously though).

VTEC comes in like 5500-5700 RPM... when redline is like 6500.

Why so late? There's less than 1000 RPM where the higher profile is active. That doesn't seem that useful. Why did the Honda engineer choose that point? How about something like 4.5k or something... or at least 5k. As it is, unless you're racing your car, VTEC will almost never be used. And I thought Honda was designing for the daily driver.

Granted the power curve as it is is fairly smooth, but would have wanted more aggressive VTEC at > 4.5k.

Anyone have an idea why it wasn't designed to engage earlier?

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
my vtec on my d16z6 engages at 4900 rpm and my redline is 7200. i can hear my vtec and even feel it in 2nd gear.

Last edited:

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mine engages at 5500 rpms till redline (8000 rpm)

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
you can always get a vafcII and a blank ecu. then you could program it to do anything you want

Noeladams

Keyboard Cowboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can hear mine some with my d16y8 but I would like to find out how to lower it to about 4.5 or something.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
the points for vtec engagement (acceleration) and disengagement (deceleration) can be alterered with a vafc, with the greddy profec, and thru several other options

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i'm going to get a bigger cam soon, currently i'm more than happy with my engagement points but as anfrey said it can be dropped. there are even less expensive vtec controllers on the market, google it up :D

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i believe the fields controller might be cheaper than the apexi

2kstreetcivic

Runnin to Redline
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ya...kinda dumb it ingages so late..but just switch it..not really worth it in my opinion if you dont have some engine mods..but I would love have mine kick in at 4 grand..that woud be sweet...you would still be in vtec when you shifted..

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
from what i recall, vtec disengages at 4800

zville00SI

CC's Smart ASS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The vtec on sohc d series engines are called the vtec-e, or the economy vtec. This vtec is designed for the economy car. The reason it kicks in so late is so that it is only used when needed. You don't want an economy car with vtec kicking in at 3 grand rpm's. The vtec on the b16's etc... are vtec dohc, which is the more hard hitting vtec. This vtec is less designed for economy, rather it is designed for performance. I believe there are 4 different kinds of vtec, and I just explained two of them. I hope this helps.

Vallejo_raider

i am mr. fobster
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
then how about for the 7thgens? there sohc vtec? something with the vtec-e? also how about on those k series engines, whats the i-vtec? intelligent-vtec?

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
zville00SI said:
The vtec on sohc d series engines are called the vtec-e, or the economy vtec. This vtec is designed for the economy car. The reason it kicks in so late is so that it is only used when needed. You don't want an economy car with vtec kicking in at 3 grand rpm's. The vtec on the b16's etc... are vtec dohc, which is the more hard hitting vtec. This vtec is less designed for economy, rather it is designed for performance. I believe there are 4 different kinds of vtec, and I just explained two of them. I hope this helps.
that is not true for all d16s. i have what is known as VTEC-II according to honda. at least for 6gens, VTEC-E was only available on the HX trim.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i'm speaking USDM civics, of course.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
btw, what does "???????????????" mean? and why does it say kia rio! down there? roflmao

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anfrey said:
btw, what does "???????????????" mean? and why does it say kia rio! down there? roflmao

I was just commenting on your comment about the HX.

kia rio? im just trying to represent for the loser fellow with the kia turbo. haha

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
lol... i guess it didn't come out... i didn't mean to put a bunch of question marks there. i was curious about the japanese text

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My D16Y8 is not a VTEC-e. VTEC-e (as said earlier) was only on the HX in the 6th generation, and it engaged much sooner because it was going from the essentially single valve intake to 2.

I know I can mod the point with a controller, but I want to know why Honda chose to put it in a near useless point. Now, if the cam was really agressive, then I understand why it would wait until 5500. But it's not (looking at the power curve), so I don't get it.

Anyone know?

[civic]

Moderfucker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
anfrey said:
lol... i guess it didn't come out... i didn't mean to put a bunch of question marks there. i was curious about the japanese text
It means eat sushi...no i dont know what it means either.