Why not Fram oil filters?

Black94TSi

5+ Year Member
I actually just picked up a bosh for my car today. I hear they are built like the purolator one filters.

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I usually use Purolator but have Fram on right now. I heard Fram uses a cardboard inside or something like that.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I actually just picked up a bosh for my car today. I hear they are built like the purolator one filters.
The newer Bosch are just like Purolaters. Not the older ones (Pre 2008) I think I read.

I usually use Purolator but have Fram on right now. I heard Fram uses a cardboard inside or something like that.
They do. The end cap is cardboard. But like I said, I've never had a problem with them.

I think I might switch to a Mobil 1 filter this time around and see if that makes any difference. Not that it matters at this point since I'm over 200,000 but worth a try seeing any differences.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive been running a fram filter in my coupe since i bought it in 04. s**t....i've had no issues using a fram filter on my turbo motor

Black94TSi

5+ Year Member
Great, I just stripped out my drain bolt today while doing my oil. WOO HOO!

Time to find an over sized bolt to go in there.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Great, I just stripped out my drain bolt today while doing my oil. WOO HOO!

Time to find an over sized bolt to go in there.
re tap the threads with a size slightly bigger.

dx driver 99

5+ Year Member
Thanks for all the info, I have been doing a fair amount of research. I just figured I would get other civic owners opinions seeing as how thats what I drive.

Question though.... to get OEM filters, would I just go to my local Honda dealership and go to the parts deptarment and ask for a couple of filters or something? If so how much does your average OEM one cost.... Im from Canada so I asume most of your reply will be in USD but ill just convert it.

Black94TSi

5+ Year Member
re tap the threads with a size slightly bigger.
I got one of the next size up bolts and it sort of self taps itself in the hole. Its holding right now, but its leaking a little bit. I have to losen it up and put some sealer on there or something. I'm afraid to put any torque on the bolt now. :???:

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Fram Filters are made with inferior components, there has been numerous people having increased valve train noise with Fram filters. Yeah you could be the lucky one that NEVER has a problem, but its the same price, or even a dollar or 2 difference so why take the chance? They use cardboard endcaps which can easily leak and cheap bypass valves which are known to stick open. I personally stopped running Fram in probably 2000 or so when I found out that people were having problems with the filter falling apart and partical's floating in the oil.

Be the true test, go buy a Fram and a good filter like Mobil 1, Puralator Pure One, or even K and N, and hack it up with a hack saw and look at the difference inside.

BTW don't EVER touch Penzoil either, JUNK OIL all the way..... Again you may NEVER have a problem, but do you EVER hear about people having issues with Castrol or Mobil 1?

Good Luck.

TippinOver

reppin the 2StockCrew
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
one time i had a fram filter that i took off the vehicle, then put the new one on, and finished the oil change.

when i started the car, all kinds of f**ked up noises were coming from the engine. i turned it off to check the problem

the fram filter that i took off left the o ring stuck to the tranny and i didnt know it. when i put the new one on, it was a crappy seal and oil leaked everwhere

oem ftw.

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
honda filters > all

they have some sort of valve I believe that is only available w/OEM. Sorry i don't remember more just the premise.
x2!!!

lucky i know people that work at honda dealership, be getting any kind of parts for cheap.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
All you have to do to get parts cheaper at the dealer is say you work somewhere like say some local Mechanic shop, or some Body shop. They might ask for address and phone number.... So bring that with you if you can just some random shop. But then you get the prices of that shop! My uncle owns a shop so I use his info! =)

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It might be 30% depends on dealer, I use it anywhere I go, even Car Quest =)

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honda filters aren't expensive to begin with.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
FILTER, OIL info $9.15 001 CHEAP if you ask me for a OEM filter, and you know if ANYTHING happened with that filter Honda would be more likely to stand behind it then Autozone!