Why not Fram oil filters?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
one time i had a fram filter that i took off the vehicle, then put the new one on, and finished the oil change.

when i started the car, all kinds of f**ked up noises were coming from the engine. i turned it off to check the problem

the fram filter that i took off left the o ring stuck to the tranny and i didnt know it. when i put the new one on, it was a crappy seal and oil leaked everwhere

oem ftw.
Don't blame Fram because you forgot to check to make sure the seal came off with the filter. That's your mistake. Not Fram's. I hate people who blame company's products for their own mistakes.

Rawkout

5+ Year Member
just installed my second fram sythetic oil filter today...last one worked fine for me.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ive been using the fram tough guard filters on my ls/vtec. part num 7317 i believe. havent had any complaints. i really cant justify paying top dollar for an oil filter that gets 3k miles worth of use on a daily driver :what:

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't understand why anyone would use a Fram.
With all the info and tests out there, they are the only ones said to stay away from.
There are plenty of filters 10 times better for the about the same price.
Some even cheaper.
Just because you don't notice a difference don't think there's not one.
that's foolish stubborness, what's it take, for your engine to
have a problem before you want something better for it.
I've heard knocking engines stop knocking just because the Fram filter was taken off
and replaced with a better one.
The Fram restricts oil flow, period.
You're not going to notice the difference usually, but it's there.
Why would anyone risk it?
But then I've known people that's never changed their oil and said they've never had a problem.
So that must make it alright, maybe you should all do that too!
At least that'll save you some money, buying a Fram won't.:cool:

Go to the end and read "filters to avoid"

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html

Last edited:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't understand why anyone would use a Fram.
With all the info and tests out there, they are the only ones said to stay away from.
There are plenty of filters 10 times better for the about the same price.
Some even cheaper.
Just because you don't notice a difference don't think there's not one.
that's foolish stubborness, what's it take, for your engine to
have a problem before you want something better for it.
I've heard knocking engines stop knocking just because the Fram filter was taken off
and replaced with a better one.
The Fram restricts oil flow, period.
You're not going to notice the difference usually, but it's there.
Why would anyone risk it?
But then I've known people that's never changed their oil and said they've never had a problem.
So that must make it alright, maybe you should all do that too!
At least that'll save you some money, buying a Fram won't.:cool:

Go to the end and read "filters to avoid"

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilters.html
So I guess my experience and my brothers experience (previous and only other owner of my car) with my car and the 200,9xx miles on it that has seen Fram for almost all of it is just a bunch of nonsense?

Fram works. Are there better alternatives? Sure, from a factual and technical point. But does it work fine? Yes.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So I guess my experience and my brothers experience (previous and only other owner of my car) with my car and the 200,9xx miles on it that has seen Fram for almost all of it is just a bunch of nonsense?

Fram works. Are there better alternatives? Sure, from a factual and technical point. But does it work fine? Yes.
:word:

ive never had an oil related problem using fram filters. maybe i just always buy good ones and everybody else gets lemons :lol:

TopGear_

┌∩┐ (◣_◢) ┌∩┐
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:word:

ive never had an oil related problem using fram filters. maybe i just always buy good ones and everybody else gets lemons :lol:
for real. I've used nothing but fram for the past 5 years and haven't had any problems.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anyone ever tried quakerstate filters before? If so, how do they hold up?
I wont run that crap oil so I wouldn't run the filter either....

Now to what everyone else is saying, the POINT is that there is a CHANCE you will have problems. Sure you may NEVER have an issue, it has just been proven with even several links of this post that they are crap filters, they use CARDBOARD to hold it together! It has been proven that it can fall apart and leave partical's in your oil POSSIBLY causing a problem. No one has said No matter what it will mess up.

Fram is a poorly made filter and is recommended to not be used, if you want to risk it go for it, but IF that day comes, you will wish you would of spent the extra dollar.

You get what you pay for, you take care of your car it will take care of YOU simple as that....

kaepos

I'm a Registered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you take care of your car it will take care of YOU simple as that....
Cars are 100% proven to break down at some point, otherwise there would be no need for junkyards =)

I don't use fram though. The last time I did, it was stuck so hard I had to crush it to get enough of a grip to torque it off... and then I got covered in oil because I couldn't dodge it.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cars are 100% proven to break down at some point, otherwise there would be no need for junkyards =)

I don't use fram though. The last time I did, it was stuck so hard I had to crush it to get enough of a grip to torque it off... and then I got covered in oil because I couldn't dodge it.
Well I never said that they don't lol and THANK GOD for junk yards! But yes I have had to do that with a few Filters as well! The joy of doing oil for other people god KNOWS who or where that filter was installed at!

http://www.jakesgarage.ca/2008/12/oil-filters-more-than-you-ever-wanted.html

Here is another GREAT link on the CRAPPY FRAM! It shows very detailed pictures and info, the guy even took a bosch and a Fram down to the paper and stretched it to show the Fram was WAY shorter than the Bosch....

Everyone, it is your car, do what you please, changing the oil every 3k helps no matter what, but I feel that there is ENOUGH proof here that Fram has a chance of screwing up your car, or having problems with filtration.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i want to see what the inside of an extended guard fram filter looks like, that's the ones i always get from walmart cuz they have the grippy base.. :lol:

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
back in Guatemala, my older brother tells me, he use to take used oil filters and use them as wheels for home made go karts. the concept actually works well, and all the sloping roads was an advantage.

kaepos

I'm a Registered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I pulled a transmission filter off of an old saturn coupe once thinking that was the oil filter. When red fluid came out, I must have had the most confused look on my face. I had never seen a tranny filter on a car before then :roll:

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol. we had this debate come up on a local board a few months back. a guy cut open a fram filter and an oem honda filter. guess what? same exact thing internally