Wire harness = blown lights?

pcmofo

5+ Year Member
I ordered head lights that were recommended to me by another user here. the Titanium XTi series. Wow they are great but in less than 48 hours after installing them one of them blew out. I was able to RMA them easily but the company said that they have never had a problem with anyone blowing them before. I have replaced bulbs for projectors and professional studio lighting before so I know how to handle light bulbs so it was not a install error. Could they be right in saying that my wiring could not handle the current draw and somehow blew the bulb? Do I need to upgrade my headlight wiring to prevent them from blowing in the future? if so is this hard and where can I get the parts needed. Thanks for your help.

pcmofo

5+ Year Member
I talked to a friend of mine who also owns a 6th gen civic. He told me that sometimes people upgrade head light bulbs and the rear connector melts from too much current. I have not heard of the bulb blowing from too much current. Can anyone help me out?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did you touch the actual glass of the bulb a lot? Cause doing so can cause the bulbs to blow prematurely.

pcmofo

5+ Year Member
did you touch the actual glass of the bulb a lot? Cause doing so can cause the bulbs to blow prematurely.
Not at all. As I said above I have experience handling expensive bulbs and took care to only touch the metal edge at the base.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there are different wattage of bulbs. I put some iPIAAs in my car i think they were 85w. they were bright as hell, but melted my connectors. It did blow both of the bulbs at the same time. I got replacements for them from PIAA but in 65w.

i think those numbers are what i used. This was about 5 years ago, so its a lil fuzzy for me. lol

pcmofo

5+ Year Member
there are different wattage of bulbs. I put some iPIAAs in my car i think they were 85w. they were bright as hell, but melted my connectors. It did blow both of the bulbs at the same time. I got replacements for them from PIAA but in 65w.

i think those numbers are what i used. This was about 5 years ago, so its a lil fuzzy for me. lol
I got the IPF super low beam xIPF Super J Beam X-Ti -Titanium Super White 4400K from www.importone.com and it says they are like 65w/120w which must be high/low beam

Still they dont mention needing replacement harnesses or sell them....

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got the IPF super low beam xIPF Super J Beam X-Ti -Titanium Super White 4400K from www.importone.com and it says they are like 65w/120w which must be high/low beam

Still they dont mention needing replacement harnesses or sell them....
the 120 is what gets you.

i think its supposed to be lower than that.

pcmofo

5+ Year Member
the 120 is what gets you.

i think its supposed to be lower than that.
I see they do sell heavy duty harnesses... but it looks like just 6" of thicker cable and connectors.... how does 6" make a difference in the bulb blowing? dont you need the whole length of the wire to be heavy duty?

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i added a new harness to mine and it was thicker, and i never had problems after that. i dont know why its like that, but somehow it works.

check your old bulbs that you pulled out and see what the wattage is on them for hight and low.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it will melt the wiring long before the actual bulb blows. if you used hi wattage bulb that is. otherwise, coated bulbs are just cheaply made, ive had some last a few months, some barely lasted a few hours lol. its the bulb, not the power delivery. they get hot, the coating traps more heat, and it blows out. heck even the sylvania coated bulb only have maybe 150 hours rated life, compared to stock bulbs at 500 hrs and long life at 1000 hrs.