Won't start.

Johnny Bolen

I have a 1993 Civic with a 1.6l. I parked it one day and it hasn't started since. I noticed the fuel pump wasn't coming on so I soldered the main fuse. Pump still didn't come on so I have a friend at a part store. He loaned me a new one. Still, the pump did not come on. When I jump 1 to 7 it comes on. When I jump 5 to 7 the pump comes on with the key on. I believe it was 5 to 7 can't remember now it's been a week. The pump is new also. I've checked all the fuses. 31, 24, I don't remember now but two under the hood and one under the dash. When I sprayed starting fluid into the intake it would fire. Just outta curiosity, I'm getting power to the distributor but don't seem to be getting spark. I have a new coil. I have a new ignitor. new cap, new rotor button, plugs and wires. Checked for spark at the coil and nothing. Checked for spark at all four plugs and nothing. Why would it sputter when I spray fluid in the intake? What am I doing wrong? Please help.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you checked the main relay?

MiniMeRatrod

Respected
thermostate housing ground, main possitive cable and battery grounds gave me the same issue

Last edited:

Johnny Bolen

Yes I've checked the main relay. Even had a new one in it. When I jump the relay harness the fuel pump comes on. Not with the relay in it tho. I have checked the ground at the thermostat housing. I have power always with lights, radio, etc and the battery terminals are clean. It is new. The alternator is new also.

Johnny Bolen

So I'm still having issues. Here's what I know/done.
Parked the car and is hasn't started since.
1. I've checked all the fuses. All are fine.
2. I've checked the main relay. Re soldered the old. Plugged in a new main relay and still nothing. I returned the new relay.
3. I have power to the distributor. I have no spark. I have replaced the coil, cap, rotor button, plugs, wires, and coil. The distributor also has new seals because there was some oil in it.
4. When I turn the key, the main relay doesn't click and the fuel pump doesn't run. When I jump the main relay with a wire the fuel pump will run. 1 to 7 and 5 to 7 with key on I unbolted the fuel line from the filter and I have good pressure.
5. I have checked and I do have power to the main relay. Yellow/black and yellow blue. Forgive me I might be off on the colors. Both did read a little over 12v
6 CEL doesn't not blink when I jumper the service check wire by the ECU. The CEL light stays on solid.
7. I have tried the fuse pull and unplug ECU to reset and nothing.
8. I have pulled ECU to check for any obvious burn marks on traces, resistors, capacitors, etc. and it looks fine.
9. I have checked the grounding points on chassis and by the thermostat housing.
10. Here's where it gets weird. I sprayed some starting fluid into the intake. The car sputtered for a few seconds. Why if no spark?
Please help anyone. No idea is a bad idea. I'm at wits end.

Johnny Bolen

10. Just out of curiosity, I turned the key on. Checked voltage at MAP sensor. .3 volts DC at input and .3 volts DC at output. Shouldn't this be at 5 volts DC input and less than 5volts DC at output? I have continuity at ground. Does this mean a bad/faulty ECU?