Worst Week Ever! (Clutch Issues)

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
WARNING! WALL OF TEXT!

so here's the story, about three weeks ago, my buddy tyrone took my civic for a spin and afterwards he told me that my clutch didn't feel right. he said it was grabbing a little too low, and it felt like there was some air in the line.
so we opened up the clutch fluid resevoir to investigate and the fluid was so dirty it was solid black! with visible sediments floating around :mad:

we decided to flush the line, using a vaccum activated hand pump (don't know the name) that sucks the fluid from the slave cyl. bleeder screw and collects the fluid in a catch can. shortly after doing so, we find out that the master cyl is leaking slightly, we found some black residue around the interior of the firewall, the interior portion of the piston rod, and a little bit on the carpeting.

we assume that flushing the line was probably a bad idea, cause any dirt that was in the fluid was probably providing the little seal that it had left, and we figured that the master was going to get progressively worse and was going to need to be replaced in the near future.

as the next 2-3 weeks went by, the clutch was being a *****. it would act up in traffic and not want to go into gear, and i had to raise the clutch travel every few days to compensate for it.

this past wednesday (8/26/09), i drive to an from work (70 miles round trip from home) with no problems. i get home, chill out for a half hour, then head to my second job (3 miles round trip from home). on the way to my second job i get stuck at a light about 2 blocks from work cause i can't get it into 1st gear. after many failed attempts i shut off the engine, put it into 1st, restart the engine and get the car moving so i can barely make it to work.

when i get out of work about 6 hrs later i hope that i can make it home but i can't get it moving at all. most would think the master cylinder is done right?

the next day (thursday 8/27/09) i buy a new master cyl, install it, bleed the line, but the clutch doesnt feel right. theres way too much free play, and the last half of the travel it is extremely hard to press down. after playing around with the clutch for a few minutes i hear a "POP" noise and the pedal goes right down to the floor and stays there. the slave piston had popped out and leaked fluid everywhere. so now we figure just a coincidence, and the slave had seen its days (but it had been replaced about a year ago? - we were really confused)

so the following day (friday 8/28/09) i buy a new slave cyl, put it in, bleed the line, and THE PISTON POPS OUT AGAIN! at this point im just angry, frustrated, and confused. after talking to several people about this, we come to the conclusion that its not a hydrualic issue, but a mechanical issue having to do with the throwout bearing, pressure plate, or clutch fork.

so i get it towed to my house this past saturday :(

and finally once the rain breaks im able to quickly drop the trans yesterday with the help of some buddies. after dropping it, we find this:

yep, thats a broken clutch fork. anything like this ever happen to anybody before?

can anyone hook me up with a clutch fork and throwout bearing for a d16y7 stock trans? lol

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow thats a new one, I've seen slightly bent, but not broken..

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my guess is it was slightly cracked and it progressively became worse over time, and when we were bleeding it it bent/broke it far back enough so the slave piston popped out.

i ordered a new one from the dealer, $56, should be in tomorrow. getting a new throwout bearing from autozone, $20, should be good to go tomorrow night!

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sweet.. well at least it was a relatively cheap fix.. hope the repair goes well

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I used to alot, but not since that kid got his delsol stolen while he was there... I stay a little more local but I plan on going to the SJ sonic meet in september. I think its in monroeville??? but I normally go to fudds,or random little meets unless there is an event like Street wars.. my car isn't really anything to look at so...

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
o i was planning on going this tuesday...but someone got their car stolen there? ehhh idk if i wanna go now lol

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
o i was planning on going this tuesday...but someone got their car stolen there? ehhh idk if i wanna go now lol
haha my point exactly, me, obk, and a few others tend to stay around the turnersville, deptford, williamstown area.. possibly philly at times

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
some of my friends go out their all the time though, i heard theres so many cars.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
once i get my trans back in, let me know of any south jersey meets i feel like takin a cruise down there sometime. im not that far north im in central NJ

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
200+ on a regular basis, went out in the middle of january because I was in teh area.. still 80 or more cars lol... but you feel like a fish in a shark tank now...

worried about your car getting jacked

cops surround the lot, in bank parking lots, at lights, at the entrance ramp to 295, all along 70/73.. all waiting for a reason to break it up... 200+ cars and 20-30 tickets per tuesday lol

Edit: yeah man definitely come down. there aren't really any DB's here.. and the ones we know we don't invite lol

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
once i get my trans back in, let me know of any south jersey meets i feel like takin a cruise down there sometime. im not that far north im in central NJ
you gotta come down to ac sometime...and we can meet up

200+ on a regular basis, went out in the middle of january because I was in teh area.. still 80 or more cars lol... but you feel like a fish in a shark tank now...

worried about your car getting jacked

cops surround the lot, in bank parking lots, at lights, at the entrance ramp to 295, all along 70/73.. all waiting for a reason to break it up... 200+ cars and 20-30 tickets per tuesday lol

Edit: yeah man definitely come down. there aren't really any DB's here.. and the ones we know we don't invite lol
damn...tough decision...

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah it really is a double edged sword lol... I just decide to take the cautious approach.. #2 stolen car in the USA lol (down from #1 due to the 94 accord wtf!?)