Wrong oil filter ... how bad CAN it be?

Will the deeper filter cause a problem for my engine?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarkFlame

Been a while since I logged on. Have had no issues with my '98 LX, until I did a bonehead thing today ...

LONG story short:

I accidentally put a larger filter on the Civic than the one specified. It is deeper from the threaded end to the domed end, but the same diameter, threads, gasket, etc. I filled the oil up to the proper level after running it a second - took a full 4 quarts. The deeper filter installed just fine, no access problems, no threading problems, no leaks, nothing appears to be wrong, it's just a deeper filter.

My question is: Will this deeper filter harm the engine?

Now, short story LONG:

I have been having a lube station do my oil changes for a while - not inability, just lack of time & no desire to get dirty with it. But, I broke down and did it myself. I went to AutoZone & picked up two filters, one for my '98 Civic LX, and another for my Chevy Silverado. They were different parts when I looked them up on the AutoZone app on my cell phone, in the store, so I got the 2 different filters. I got home & set them down until I could get to changing the oil. That was a week ago.

Today, I looked at the 2 filters and did not remember which filter went on which vehicle, so I did the logical thing ... I looked them up on the AutoZone app. Well, both vehicles showed the same filter this time. I thought something might be wrong, so I shut down the app, rebooted the phone, & tried it again ... with the same results. They both show the S3675XL STP extended life oil filter. So, I put that one on while my wife was delivering the children to their grandparents, intending to do the truck when she returned with it.

While I was waiting for her return, I came inside & checked from my desktop, only to find that the shallower filter is the right one for my Civic, and the deeper one is for the truck.

Thanks for all thoughts, answers, and replies!

David
San Antonio, TX

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Id check the specs of each filter & compare their oil pressure & flow ratings. But why not just swap filters while using a clean drip pan then pour back in whatever oil drains out?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
The depth of the filter won't cause any problems. As long as it fits the threads and seals and fits in the space where the filter goes you're fine. Many filter manufacturers use different sizes. If in doubt go buy OE for peace of mind.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There are tons of different options for filters. Some for the same vehicle can vary greatly in size

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The size isnt the issue but the oil pressure and flow specs. I would imagine there to be some sort of difference from civic specs to a large pick-up, but I have no clue if the difference is considerable. Even then, it'd likely take alot of driving to become an issue. Again, just take 20 minutes to swap in the proper filter and have no worry.

dancam

Registered VIP
Cross reference each filter to WIX. then go on their website and look up the specs. They are the only manufacturer i have found that does this. Quite handy. Look for differences in: burst pressure, flow rate in gpm, and most importantly the bypass valve pressure spec. The first 2 are usually similar enough across all filters that would fit on the same car but te last one is the one to watch out for. I wouldnt use a filter that was more than 2-3 psi different higher or lower unless you understand what will happen and are prepared for tht.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No harm done, a slightly higher oil pressure will not harm anything (unless you were previously running higher pressures from something like a ported and shimmed oil pump), if it's to high it can blow out seals as far as I know.