wtf is E 79?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Turned on my 360 to play some forza this morning and see this...

any suggestions? the xbox is over 3 years old.. warranty is long gone. :x

reyscivic

5th gen owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
use this. i did when it happened to me. I repair them.

reyscivic

5th gen owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
--==Console Reset Codes==--
Clear All Installed Game Updates and Console Cache

1. Go to the "system" blade
2. Select "memory"
3. Press Y on the HD symbol
4. Press X,X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X
5. A message will appear saying: "Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?"
6. Select Yes

Clear Any Failed system updates that cause the console to error.

1. With the console off, press and hold the sync up button (the small white one)
2. While holding the sync button press the power button to turn on the console
3. Continue to hold the sync button until the Console has booted up completely.
4. During the boot process the console should clear any failed updates, allowing you to use it normally.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats a hard drive error. Try removing the hard drive and see if it plays without it. If it does, disconnect your wireless adaptor or network cable and plug the hard drive back in then turn on the xbox. Look for any failed updates or incomplete file downloads and delete them. Reset the xbox, and you should be good.

For some reason the xbox doesn't like being online when there are failed downloads or updates on the drive.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thanks guys i'll give it a try. the weird thing is the 2nd time i turned it on it made it to the home screen then froze. then the 3rd time i turned it on it froze during the launch sequence and never made it to the homepage. the 4th time and it came up with the E79 code again...

98civb18c

Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks guys i'll give it a try. the weird thing is the 2nd time i turned it on it made it to the home screen then froze. then the 3rd time i turned it on it froze during the launch sequence and never made it to the homepage. the 4th time and it came up with the E79 code again...
your 360 has finally become defective. Time to buy another one. If your interested, send me your old 360. My brother mods them he said it needs a mother board swap.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Clear Any Failed system updates that cause the console to error.

1. With the console off, press and hold the sync up button (the small white one)
2. While holding the sync button press the power button to turn on the console
3. Continue to hold the sync button until the Console has booted up completely.
4. During the boot process the console should clear any failed updates, allowing you to use it normally.
i just did this and got red ring :shock: :x :evil:

FML

uhm so i guess the question now is, if i buy a bare 360 without a harddrive what do i need to do to get my xbl account ported over?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
buy a ps3. bam problem solved :lol:

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I think you just need to sign in on the new xbox, then it will save the account.

reyscivic

5th gen owner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Red ring will come and go with it. Its a hard drive error that you have. it will uninstall previous updates and game updates also.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
no. i've never done anything to this 360 to cause the RROD. it sits on my desk, doesnt get moved, stays cool, and all i ever play is forza and gta4. so why 3 years later does it do this? :???:

raz18

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dang.. i opened this expecting some unheard of new BMW...

Jeegz

Did sum1 say mud??
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just get the new one and be done with it. I had the e79 one. It sucks there isnt a way to fix it. Its a hardware failure.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
E79 isn't always a hardware failure. You might try extracting the firmware from your dvd drive and re flashing the dvd drive. Your firmware might be corrupt.