WTF? My car idle surges when I move the steering wheel

legend1011

Banned
:???:

Hey, I'm hoping that this is an easy fix (an adjustment or something). I have noticed it since I bought it, but just lately it has been rather annoying.

When I move the steering wheel (mainly in park i think) with the car running, my idles surges up and then shoots back down. How can moving the steering wheel change the RPM's of my car. It is rather annoying and I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Please any ideas? The only thing I can think of is belt adjustment? , but I'm not sure.

--<EM1>--

boosted ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
whats the rpm range?

first, its really not good to try and turn the wheel while in park. it puts alot of strain on parts. and second. the power steering pump runs off the motor. i think i read that since the pump runs off the motor, its taking very little power to operate, but since youre forcing it to work harder, thats what happens

legend1011

Banned
well, I'm not sitting there turning the wheel back and forth for the fun of it:lol: . I just turn the wheel to turn out (in a parking lot for example) or to turn away from the curb. It idles up to like 2500- RPM or so (I am guessing at the moment). It has me puzzled.:???:

I've had power steering cars in the past including a Honda 4th gen and a Honda 7th gen and neither of them had done this... I just barely turn the wheel a tad and the idle goes up to 2500 RPM temporarily then shoots back down once I release the wheel

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow it's normal to go up like 1000rpms put up to 2500? There's gotta be something wrong.

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its completely normal...i dunno about 2500 rpms...mine goes up about 300 to 400 when i turn the wheel....

reason being: the PS pump is operated by a belt connected to the crankshaft.
when you turn the wheel (at idle) it activates the pump to flush fluid through the lines so its easy to turn....thus slowing the crankshaft which has to turn the belt....and the sensors and such do not like it when the rpms somewhat die down a bit...so it turns the motor a little faster to compensate for the loss of rotation....if this didn't happen....the motor would almost stall ...

so in the end...its normal...don't worry about it...but i really don't know about it being 2500rpms...unless your est. was off ....