wut else can i do for power,97 sohc.non v-tec

Xris

5+ Year Member
new to the scene. got my hatch a couple weeks ago.
installed cold air intake, headers, high flow cat, and exhaust.i want more power without doing an engine swap or goin turbo just yet. heard about doin a mini-me. d16 head and manifold. how much power hp will this increase?
other options?
thanks

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not anything worth it. non turbo, your lookin at 150 max at the crank for horsepower, thats if you do internals and all.

JSWhaler

5+ Year Member
mini me is a good option for 20ish hp., but to show that hp you need an ex tranny. I would either go the minime route then turbo, or just F it and do a complete swap.

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont need an ex tranny to show that power. 20 hp is noticable. the dx tranny is longer and is better for economy. the ex tranny is shorter so it;ll accelerate faster, but just doing the minime head swap which will add vtec to your motor is noticable. thats like a 20% increase in power

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
swap. or do the mini me (with a y8 or z6 vtec head). i have one for sale. click the link in my sig.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
put a type r sticker and an 11 foot wing on it

oh wait i forgot the times we live in

slam it on some rotas, put a lip kit on it, and a duckbill spoiler. The price of all these parts must come close to or exceed the value of the car itsself, or cost more than a DOHC engine swap would have, because its what all the "cool kids" are doing these days.

ok now for the real advice. If you dont want to swap, which i highly reccomend, just the basic i/h/e and then maybe nitrous .... but relaise that its not gonna be super fast

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
boost it.

i started with a y7. did the mini-me swap which was nice at the time. then boosted it. once you go FI you'll never want to go back.

if you want to do the mini-me get a z6 head and a y8 mani. the z6 head will flow better and also likes timing. then put together a hmt kit for under a grand and you'll spank stock and lightly modded dohc with no problem.

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Xris said:
thanx for the suggestions
120? y so cheap, y u parting with it
cuz its a d-series.

its really worthless to me. i have absolutely no interest in using it.

charles_00Civic

CC'S Longest Running Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I used to have a y7 then i put a d15b when it crapped out.. I broke a valve cover screw and couldnt drill it etc.. Neways. I got a d16y8 head. Um... My y7 was i/h/e and was fun but with the d15b vtec it was even funner! (loud though).. I am pieceing together a turbo and from experience with friends I have noticed that vtec doesnt really matter with boost... Honestly.. You can turbo a civic for like 700 BUX. Piece iut together.. People say its about buying good parts, but if you know your s**t you can make anything run reliably.

Xris

5+ Year Member
ya ima look into boostin it.
should i jus keep it the way it is and boost it, or should i do the mini-me first?
then i dont even know what brand and reliable turbo to go with.
this is my everyday car. i drive alot. to and from work etc....
want it to last for everyday drive but still have balls

strictlybusines

5+ Year Member
Xris said:
ya ima look into boostin it.
should i jus keep it the way it is and boost it, or should i do the mini-me first?
then i dont even know what brand and reliable turbo to go with.
this is my everyday car. i drive alot. to and from work etc....
want it to last for everyday drive but still have balls
Put a D15B in for about a Grand or 500 more for Limited Slip Diff. stiffen the head, block brace, maby pistons and rods....throw a good head gasket(you get reliability, from investment) while your in there maby put a clutch and good oil pump and

boost or spray it.

spray is fun in traffic if u have no balls i once had a d motor with spray but was a kid and blew the stock thing to s**t. it will last forever on a 50 shot with a built inside but thats for old men BOOST is fun. I want it for my B series soon....

(That costs as much as a B series)

akdasniper

5+ Year Member
imho... i think you should just save up for a turbo kit... if you save $2G's, you can peace together a turbo kit/get it tuned/ and get a good clutch...

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Skunk2 Intake manifold and throttle body for a y8 and a new intake

91HatchEfPower

5+ Year Member
d17y7 right?
u can put a y8 head and just a couple of wires for vtec
the head will prolly run for about 150 bucks.
thats about a good 10-20 hp increase and a prolly a stage2 clutch.
turbo is a lil bit too much these days unless you got the money.
lighten up the car also if u want by takin out the back seats and just completely gutting it out.
that should save u a couple pounds.
and yah skunk2 intake manifold that would perty under that hood