Y8 oil pump shim & port

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok so ive been hearing alot of stuyff on shimming and porting Y8 oil pumps due to the lack of high rev pressure it outputs??? is that true? Should i have my machine shop do this step before i go any further??? ive had spun bearings in my Y8 before but didnt know why......is this step nessesary???

codyllee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it is recommended, or you can buy a custom oil pump

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
how much oil pressure is the oem honda oil pump supposed to put out?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my y8 oil pump pumps just fine

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my y8 oil pump pumps just fine
lol geez that's very helpful and discriptive lol :???:

to the OP - yes it's true the y8 oil pump is less effecient then the z6. there are other factors at play aswell including the crank and bearing oil passage designs. but the common procedure is to shim the pump. this is beneficial even with stock rev limit. if you build your valvetrain and plan to over rev then you should consider porting. there is plenty of info out there on how to properly size the shim. do a few quick searches and you'll find the answer.

Also, i have heard horror stories of aftermarket pumps failing and blowing up brand new blocks. soo i very highly recommend against them and i suggest reworking the OEM y8.

-Luke

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so shim and port the pump out....hopefully the machine shop knows what im talking about.......I am having this done tomorrow. How much should i be looking at extra to shim and port the pump???

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok so shim and port the pump out....hopefully the machine shop knows what im talking about.......I am having this done tomorrow. How much should i be looking at extra to shim and port the pump???
shimming the pump literally just means installing a washer. the porting is what requires skill and that's hard to judge how much it would cost - it varies from shop to shop. the amount of porting is very minimal, its really there to just open up the entrances and exits of the pump a little.

thread jack

are the y7 and y8 oil pumps the same?
almost certain that they are

-Luke

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so shimming, i install a washer on the relief valve right.....it screws out and u put the washer on there right??? then port is porting out the exit holes....right??? I am trying to get as much info to relay to my machine guy.......What size washer do i use??? and how do i do that?

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so after shimming and porting my oil pump what is a safe or decent oil pressure to be at?? Stock is like 40-50 psi right?? I read on that link u gave me people hitting 95-100 PSI and above......and Also if im shimming and porting my oil pump and i have a T04E garrett turbo, should i get an oil restrictor??? or not necessary???

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so shimming i need to get .025 thick washer? just one right? and if u guys can help me in regards to my last post i have a few questions....thanks guys u are a great help !!! I just dropped my motor to the machine shop this morning and hes doing the whole motor top to bottom.....im doing vitara build, scat rods, dual springs, retainers, nitrate valves, comp cam vtec cam shaft.......s**t will be a BEAST!!!! im also video recording the dyno tune looking to push 400whp.......thats the plan lol

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so after shimming and porting my oil pump what is a safe or decent oil pressure to be at?? Stock is like 40-50 psi right?? I read on that link u gave me people hitting 95-100 PSI and above......and Also if im shimming and porting my oil pump and i have a T04E garrett turbo, should i get an oil restrictor??? or not necessary???
80+psi at 3000k+ RPM is a good pressure to be at. You should get a restrictor if you have a -4AN or bigger feed line.

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
where do i screw in the restrictor? right onto the oil feed port on the turbo or before the feed line starts into the port???

djrenok

Titanium-Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so on the turbo oil inlet port i would screw that in then my feed line on the other end.......??? Seems simple. i just ordered a 1/8 thread restrictor from ATPturbo........That should work right?? Thanks for the info. ....