5+ Year Member
info:
93 si
B16B
Y21 transmission

issue with the clutch not disengaging.

History.

Clutch chanced about 2 years ago. Comp stage 2 full face

Emergency, road side slave cylinder replacement last December. did a ghetto bleed and got teh car home, bled the line.

fast forward to August of this year, the clutch master cylinder was leaking internally ( onto the carpet) so I replaced it, bled it on the car.

NOW in October I had about 3 days of a weird issue where when the clutch pedal was on the floor , I would get a weird noise and the car would not go into gear UNLESS I let off about 2.5" from floor then would shft prefectly.

Drove it that way with the intention of fixing it come this weekend.

Yesterday, the car will not change gear when the car is on. Clutch pedal has pressure, doesn't fall to the floor, no noise, but the car will not go into gear. no matter what the pedal manipulation...

here is the odd issue... it gets better or worse randomly... sit at a stop, have the issue, bring the rpms up, pump the clutch 5-6 times, ease in the clutch and the car will go into gear 1 in 10 times that way...

Now, if air is being introduced into the system somehow, would it cause this issue ( loose feed line to teh reservoir, slightly loose slave nipple?

I am going to tear into it a little bit tonight to make sure there isn't a bend TO fork and use a hand pump bleeder to actually draw the line out.

Anything else you guys can think of that might cause an intermittent clutch engagement issue?

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
checked both master and slave. No leaks.

threw a vaccum bleeder on the car and pulled almost exclusively air out of the line with sparse amounts of fluid.

the master drained rather quickly while bleeding.

Retain clutch pressure but no change to condition. Since the clutch master was the last thing to be replaced I suspect it to be the issue... going to have to check for incorrect fluid exchange.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
You're certain it goes into gear when the car is off?

When you heard that noise and you had to let off a little bit, what kind of noise was it?

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah, I'm sure... I did the starter trick to make sure... put it into gear with the car off... then started the car. It moves.

terrible for the starter, but I had to find out if I had clutch pressure or not.

the noise sounded like a spinning grind, almost like a pebble caught in a rotor.

My other thought it TO bearing is shot... but I want to eliminate the things I can get to without dropping the trans first.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
once the car is in motion, not at all

no weird noise when clutch is depressed either.

might just grab a new slave and master and replace them at the same time and see what happens...

worse case is I find out it is definitely the TO or the pressure plate lost a finger

if the master has an internal seal issue I'd never know unless I replace it. and that might explain the lack of there being a pedal abnormality.

thoughts?

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
maybe.

but it doesn't explain the valid engagement when the car isn't started and the pedal feel not being effected...

not sure.

any suggestions on next steps?

Thinking about redoing the hydrolics and see what happens

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I wouldn't think you would feel a difference in the pedal, all you feel in the pedal is the push against the slave cylinder.

Not going into gear when the car is on and going into gear when the car is off is a direct correlation to a bad disc or bad pressure plate.

I think by now you would of found a hydraulic issue, it may be time to pull the trans.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
to be honest I haven't done anything other than the bleed attempt since the issue...

definitely going to look at it asap.

luckily I have a daily.