CHILD'S *EK* ... finally i have an EK

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
The CRX literally just got off the dyno yesterday with it. Basically the same results. A lot more midrange power and peak power picked up as well. Before with the skunk2 ultra, he hit the 300 whp mark around 10,250 rpm.....now it hit's 300 whp at 9500 and still climbs
i think the untra race manifold are more geared toward turbo setups, could be one of the reason why you made more power with the other one

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think the untra race manifold are more geared toward turbo setups, could be one of the reason why you made more power with the other one
No, they are good for both NA and forced induction. I don't know why you'd think the Skunk2 ultra is geared towards turbo when it's the smaller of the two manifolds.

The reason the K-Tuned made more is very simple, the skunk2 ultra is a 3.5L manifold without adding on to it, and the K-Tuned is a 4.78L manifold as is. The skunk2 ultra that was tested was cnc ported my 4piston and you can see that play a part in how much smoother the power band in with that manifold. With the stock plenum size on it, the Ultra just isn't big enough. Skunk2 noticed that awhile back with their introduction of their 1L spacer. The runner size on both is very similar. The skunk2 looks bigger in the runners only because it has a ton more of material there. the inner diameter is just like the ktuned manifold and so is the length of those runners.

Both manifolds are good, the K-Tuned just starts off better than the Skunk2 does (for bigger engines and forced induction...everything has it's place), which actually makes the skunk2 ultra usable in more situations than the K-Tuned since it can be added onto for bigger engine setups or left in stock form for mild build that could use a little more top end power. It would take the Skunk2 ultra, a 1L spacer, a port job, and a fuel rail to be equal if not better performing than the K-Tuned out of the box.

The biggest thing to note between the two, is that the Ktuned manifold dominated the midrange on both engine types. The peak power number doesn't mean much is the midrange isn't there. Once you add more plenum volume to the Skunk2 ultra, you're really just picking up power on the top end closer to redline.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
No, they are good for both NA and forced induction. I don't know why you'd think the Skunk2 ultra is geared towards turbo when it's the smaller of the two manifolds.

The reason the K-Tuned made more is very simple, the skunk2 ultra is a 3.5L manifold without adding on to it, and the K-Tuned is a 4.78L manifold as is. The skunk2 ultra that was tested was cnc ported my 4piston and you can see that play a part in how much smoother the power band in with that manifold. With the stock plenum size on it, the Ultra just isn't big enough. Skunk2 noticed that awhile back with their introduction of their 1L spacer. The runner size on both is very similar. The skunk2 looks bigger in the runners only because it has a ton more of material there. the inner diameter is just like the ktuned manifold and so is the length of those runners.

Both manifolds are good, the K-Tuned just starts off better than the Skunk2 does (for bigger engines and forced induction...everything has it's place), which actually makes the skunk2 ultra usable in more situations than the K-Tuned since it can be added onto for bigger engine setups or left in stock form for mild build that could use a little more top end power. It would take the Skunk2 ultra, a 1L spacer, a port job, and a fuel rail to be equal if not better performing than the K-Tuned out of the box.

The biggest thing to note between the two, is that the Ktuned manifold dominated the midrange on both engine types. The peak power number doesn't mean much is the midrange isn't there. Once you add more plenum volume to the Skunk2 ultra, you're really just picking up power on the top end closer to redline.
thats very interesting good thing you did these test between the two and being that you had your hands on both i was thinking about getting the h2k adapter and utilize the k-tuned manifold or the skunk2 ultra manifold. no one else seemed to have done this test with direct comparison and with it ported since most other test that xx person with ultra have made vs another person with mostly similar setup with k tuned manifold. since usually the stock cams on h usually have good mid range to 8200 rpmish before it start to drop off. i added +2 for intake to see if i can just shift the power band a little higher up until 9000 since that my redline.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i was thinking about getting the h2k adapter and utilize the k-tuned manifold or the skunk2 ultra manifold. since usually the stock cams on h usually have good mid range to 8200 rpmish before it start to drop off. i added +2 for intake to see if i can just shift the power band a little higher up until 9000 since that my redline.
You're going to need a really wild build in order for either of these manifolds to be effective for you. Stock cammed H.....you can forget about it. Both my setup, and the 2.3L crx are running some big cams and a 12.5:1 compression. If you want your power band shifted right, then you want shorter, more straight runners. A bigger plenum will provide more air at high cam lift, but you're stock cams, so the engine isn't going to be moving much air anyway.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
You're going to need a really wild build in order for either of these manifolds to be effective for you. Stock cammed H.....you can forget about it. Both my setup, and the 2.3L crx are running some big cams and a 12.5:1 compression. If you want your power band shifted right, then you want shorter, more straight runners. A bigger plenum will provide more air at high cam lift, but you're stock cams, so the engine isn't going to be moving much air anyway.
well i'm turbo'd i have basically fuly built bottom end and in the f22b1 block running 11:1 cr pistons with k20a skunk2 alpha rods, running gt3582r

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i'm turbo'd i have basically fuly built bottom end and in the f22b1 block running 11:1 cr pistons with k20a skunk2 alpha rods, running gt3582r
then why would you need a K series manifold that would be retarded hard to fit especially the k-tuned one since it's much bigger. The B ultra manifold would be much better...

Last edited:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
well i will use that manifold when i get ferea roller rockers and camshafts, for what i have i have supertech valvetrain and ported head. for something out of the box it works perfect. would be a nice upgrade from my modified stock manifold also this is 500+ hp setup i have D.O.C race bottoom mount manifold with 44mm gate. this is for my test purpose. the gains you've seen is not much different on a full H all motor maybe about 2-3hp difference

also i forgot to mention it will also give me more room and would nicer then my stock manifold

Last edited by a moderator:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i will use that manifold when i get ferea roller rockers and camshafts, for what i have i have supertech valvetrain and ported head. for something out of the box it works perfect. would be a nice upgrade from my modified stock manifold also this is 500+ hp setup i have D.O.C race bottoom mount manifold with 44mm gate. this is for my test purpose. the gains you've seen is not much different on a full H all motor maybe about 2-3hp difference
2 to 3 hp difference.......what all motor H build on pump gas is right at 300 whp? The results I've gotten are from two engines that FLOW a lot of air, not forced induction. You can use forced induction in a D series and make over 300, and that doesn't mean the D series head has superior flow.

also i forgot to mention it will also give me more room and would nicer then my stock manifold
I assume you have no idea how big the K-Tuned intake manifold is....it barely fits in my engine bay and I had to use a tucked radiator to fit it. The manifold is much bigger than the Skunk2 ultra, and it's longer, and it also curves DOWN in the engine bay, so being near the firewall, there's no space to fit this thing. It barely fits with the way it was designed for a K.

If you feel you'd benefit so much from a big plenum K series manifold even though the H head doesn't even flow as well as a stock K head, then you'd be far better off with a GATO manifold or All-in Fab side feed manifold ( all-in fab Derek makes a B/H series specific manifold for a reason). I think you're too stuck on your turbo power output to be reasonable about the manifold. There are setups making much more power than you without the need of a large K series manifold. Even boosted K series engines don't need such a large manifold for power. I did a video of a 815whp K24 turbo civic using a 6766 turbo with a stock port oem RBC manifold. There's no sense in just throwing parts at a car.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
thats the thing the down ward curves is what makes fit nicer on a h22 in a civic it poeple been using rbc or rrc the H2K is still fairly new it give us a better and broader market for manifold instead of being stuck with what we already had available yrs and yrs ago. our motor got some mean lean towards the back so the downward curve helps with space in the past poeple had to bang the firewall to fit skunk2 pro manifold for h swaps. with often poeple broke the tps being super close to firewall :/ (yikes!!) the k series sits leaning forward like b /d series. true but my head is built just stock camshaft it also ported and polished, stock cam still been viable up to 500hp but that with stock unmodified intake manifold. i like having a balance with mid range and top end for my setup. got plenty of torque with 95mm crankshaft stroke.

plus your tests you've done as far as i know your the only one i know that has be able to present a clear answers most of other times the answers was still a bit vague in the past.

yea i'm trying to make as much power but at very efficient way my motor should be able to put out around 360 whp on just 10psi and close to the 500hp maybe even more mark at around 20psi. its also leaves me a lot lot of room to grow in power wise with same manifold for a while.

this is how far back it leans towards the firewall, so the added downward curve of the runners help a lot
IMG_0102.JPG

maybe you can do a comparisons with the GATO manifold

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this is how far back it leans towards the firewall, so the added downward curve of the runners help a lot
View attachment 27149
You don't understand the size of this manifold....even with the curve downward, the plenum would for one, hit your brake master cylinder, and two, if your brake master cylinder didn't exist in your bay, the manifold would be nearly against the firewall.

The runner length alone is nearly 7" long and then the plenum starts.

maybe you can do a comparisons with the GATO manifold
I'll test anything if the part is supplied. I didn't purchase a skunk2 ultra to be used, it was offered to be tested from another guy's build.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
You don't understand the size of this manifold....even with the curve downward, the plenum would for one, hit your brake master cylinder, and two, if your brake master cylinder didn't exist in your bay, the manifold would be nearly against the firewall.

The runner length alone is nearly 7" long and then the plenum starts.

I'll test anything if the part is supplied. I didn't purchase a skunk2 ultra to be used, it was offered to be tested from another guy's build.
i'll see if i can get my hands on the GATO manifold, what is the dimension of the plenum?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i like having a balance with mid range and top end for my setup. got plenty of torque with 95mm crankshaft stroke.
If you like having a balance of midrange and top end power, going with a huge manifold is going to shift all of your power further to the right. This is why I mentioned the head flow before. If the engine isn't moving the air quickly at lower rpm, power is going to be lower there until the velocity picks up, which will really stand out with forced induction. You'll get a huge ramp of power on the top end.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'll see if i can get my hands on the GATO manifold, what is the dimension of the plenum?
good luck with that.

I don't have all the measurements on the manifold, because I had no need to measure. Simply put, this will not fit for you unless you hack apart several things in your bay, leaving you with an oversized manifold for your setup that slows air speed at low rpm and killing your midrange power in sacrifice for large top end power if you got it fit somehow

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
the some midrange will help with having smoother transition in the power. so it won't be like slow off the launch and have just huge jump in mph.

i know know few of my friends that has it and even fewer friends that has extra one laying around lol( rich white boys)

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the some midrange will help with having smoother transition in the power. so it won't be like slow off the launch and have just huge jump in mph.
you will kill your midrange with a huge manifold on your engine setup. Both my engine and that crx have more displacement than you and the compression to help. The manifold will not act the same down low and in the midrange for you

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
i'll still be satisfied if i had just upper mid range and all of top end

in a couple yrs i'm going to be switching to sleeved block and i'll be on a quest low 8 or high 7s in a quarter mile time and it will be a full time race car

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'll still be satisfied if i had just upper mid range and all of top end
use a higher A/R turbo for that....
the manifold still makes no sense to be forced into your bay to attempt to be used.
in a couple yrs i'm going to be switching to sleeved block and i'll be on a quest low 8 or high 7s in a quarter mile time and it will be a full time race car
By the time you get close to those times, you'll see how pointless all of this was.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
i can always get crower 100mm stroker kit with H sleeves would place my block at 2.4L not much different from k24 blocks both will have same bore size 87mm and teh crank stroke is nearly the same, 1mm difference

i like to try on this type of setup, i like my things very unique, you already noticed my build itself is very unique with the use of internals made for k series, this build has been rarely been done if at all. mind you some people like that huge ramp in power and just having topend power

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i can always get crower 100mm stroker kit with H sleeves would place my block at 2.4L not much different from k24 blocks both will have same bore size 87mm and teh crank stroke is nearly the same, 1mm difference
Even if you match the bore and stroke of my engine, your H still does not flow the same.

i like to try on this type of setup, i like my things very unique, you already noticed my build itself is very unique with the use of internals made for k series, this build has been rarely been done if at all. mind you some people like that huge ramp in power and just having topend power
You realize you've switched from two different types of setups as a desire for your build and that neither would warrant the use of these K series manifolds? Yes people have used K parts in and on a H before, this is not new.

If you're aiming for some insanely fast drag car....you have no need whatsoever to be concerned with midrange power. If you need/want a big ramp of top end power, change turbos, not intake manifolds....especially for your really high set goal of 8's and 7's. I'm all for being different, but I also look at things logically as well.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Even if you match the bore and stroke of my engine, your H still does not flow the same.

You realize you've switched from two different types of setups as a desire for your build and that neither would warrant the use of these K series manifolds? Yes people have used K parts in and on a H before, this is not new.

If you're aiming for some insanely fast drag car....you have no need whatsoever to be concerned with midrange power. If you need/want a big ramp of top end power, change turbos, not intake manifolds....especially for your really high set goal of 8's and 7's. I'm all for being different, but I also look at things logically as well.
thats in due time and in the end point resaults but minimally 500hp. otherwise i would be sporting forward facing manifold with a sleeved and stroked block along with ferea roller rocker arms and run ferea roller camshafts paired with custom one off intake manifold. i'm also using full 3in charge pipe as well as me being always wanting to make more power i rather be doing upgrading less often isntead of constantly reachign limilts to parts i would just be wasting unnecessary amount of money.

for me i require my self to have 3x the extra room for more power from this point on slowly increasing hp,that would be somewhat often.

its easy to go up in hp often when your list of upgrading is very small lol