1987 RT-AWD WAGOVAN build!!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Why not throw a nice turbo on the D15? Or rebuild the D15?

It's a good project. I just think instead of Mugen rims right now, get this thing looking and moving fast.
Interesting idea. The car is at the shop right now preparing for some repairs. The main guy at the shop suggested this route as well, actually swapping for all 92-95 Civic EFI parts. I was thinking more along the lines of B18 Turbo, pushing as much power out of a CRV drivetrain as possible. I just don't know a lot about how this is all going to work. I need to subscribe to redpepperracng, or hondacivicwagon.com. I'm sure they can answer a lot of questions for me.

For this summer, I will rebuild the D15 as needed. It will stay carburated, and low powered. That is fine for me right now. When I do the "go fast" thing, it will be done right, or not at all. Stage 1: bringing back the look and feel of a classic. Stage 2: make it a classic SLEEPER. nt time. We'll see.

There is a slight possibility I may pull out the engine this summer to paint the bay, and really clean the engine, replace all hoses, and work inside it a bit to get it perfect again. We will see.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ i think he said it was in another thread - like the with that weird low gear correct me if im wrong
yes, it is a 6 speed. It has a "super low gear" for snow/ice or pulling. Then, it has your normal other 5 gears, going 1 through 5, plus reverse. So, it's called a "6-speed".

Unuzual Kustum

4DR Sleeper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
B16a1 gsr cams AEM ems dsm 450s
edelbrock mani with rpm 74mm T/B
precision gt35
DRAG manifold thats all that would fit
hks ssq bov
tial 38mm w/g
precision 600 intercooler

And heres another from Mason Dixon before paint

sidneyious

5+ Year Member
Keep it awd, keep it dseries, get a zc and turbo that bich!

The crv drivetrain only puts 10% at most the the rear wheels so it would be ompleatly pointless to swap it to a bseries for a crv drivetrain as its the crap of crap for anything awd. With the wagovan its All time AWD!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Keep it awd, keep it dseries, get a zc and turbo that bich!

The crv drivetrain only puts 10% at most the the rear wheels so it would be ompleatly pointless to swap it to a bseries for a crv drivetrain as its the crap of crap for anything awd. With the wagovan its All time AWD!
I hear you man. Thanks for the advice! You mentioned to keep it D series, but get a ZC. Im confused. Isn't the ZC another series from the D motors. Or, is it a D series bottom end with a ZC head? Would it be a direct blot on with the ZC, and if not, are aftermarket engine mount kits available for the Wago? What car does the ZC originally come out of? Are there more than one engine in the ZC family, and if so, which is the most potent for the buck?

How much power AND reliability could I get out of the ZC turbo set-up? What about the stock axles; would they be strong enough to take that much power, or would they need to be upgraded? Are there aftermarket units available for this set-up?

Also, thanks for clarrifying about the CRV drivetrain. That makes since. But, Isn't the Wagovan Real Time AWD, which is not full time? I heard that there is a way to mod it to be all time-awd though. Let me know on this as well.

I don't know much about the older motors, so if anyone could throw some knowledge at me, that would be great. Basically, I'm out of my "comfort zone" with this build.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you may be thinking, why would he buy a car he knows absolutely nothing about? We'll, that's because I have good people like yourselves that I knew I could rely on for some help! You guys ROCK!!!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks good. cant wait until you start working on it
Man, me too! Little eleanor should enter the world soon, as her due date was June 4th. I'll be at this thing in about 2 weeks, once life with the newborn settles in!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OK, finally had some time to post some more pics.

Here's the color choice I am currently decided on: Cool Vanilla from Chrysler, or something similar...

cool roof rack!

The rear glass wraps around the top of the car, creating something like a "mini-moonroof" on the rear sides of the car! Pretty cool

Here's the engine!

When I drop the car, these mudflaps will probably have to be removed. I hope not, we'll see.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
eastcoast ek !! good job with the rotm!

bump for wagons!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
And now, the UGLY...

(1) Chip in Drivers side tail light

(2) Passenger side molding has some issues. It can be fixed easily though.

(3) Rusted and dented wheel well...

(4) and another...

(5) and another wheel well...pretty much EVERY wheel well!

(6) Front of hood has a dent, and the Honda logo is missing...

(7) All of trim piece on the hatch decided to peel off. It just needs to be prepped and painted. No biggy...

And...

(8) The biggest UGLY. This rear window trim piece got cracked off. I'm really worried about finding a replacement. I'm probably going to have to call every "Pull-a-Part" in the nation! I will get on this soon.

Other uglies not pictured:

(9) a hairline crack at the top of the dashboard

(10) A few rips in the drivers seat. May need new seat. Pull-a-part?!

(11) Carpet is ONLY worn out under the pedals. Other than that, I think it can be steam cleaned and reused. I'll look for a nice set of carpet mats, and it should cover up this portion of ugly-ness.

(12) Coin box on the dash and the rear/hatch dome light are no where to be found. Pull-a-part?!

(13) I'm sure there are more, which I will soon discover.

Thanks for looking!

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Gl on the project man.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There's a 89 and 90 Civic wagon I got my eyes on. It's either I buy one of these or new suspension for my daily first, still undecided. Check your PM, if you're willing I can get you some of those pieces you need.

4gcivic69

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
go with the d16a1 its a direct swap and its a fi dohc.. it aslo shares many parts with the zc.. Its out of the first generation integras so keep your eye out

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
go with the d16a1 its a direct swap and its a fi dohc.. it aslo shares many parts with the zc.. Its out of the first generation integras so keep your eye out
Thanks for the info., I'm currently researching this. How much power could I get out of this NA? Are superchargers available for the d16a1? I ask this because it would be cool to autocross the wagon. I am sure that it would be no prob. to turbo, but just thought I'd get all of my options together on this one.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
update June 10th:

My wife is going to the hospital tomorrow for inducement, if she doesn't have the baby naturally tonight. So, Eleanor Claire should be here soon. For all those that are interested, I'll post pics of her when we get them.

Also, side note, this came in the mail today:D