1997 DX hatch

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if using the minicooper discs anyway, why type R calipers instead of the 2 piston Legend calipers?
Valid question!

Parts should be there very soon!
Would the caliper braket for itr calipers be bolt on and legend require modification? Shot in the dark...
when using the Prelude rotors, etc, had to modify the brackets. endo617 used Legend calipers and cooper s rotors. stated didn't have to modify them (granted I haven't done this myself)
You're right james. Once you modify the bracket, you can bolt on either the ITR or Legend calipers with the mini cooper rotors. I probably won't do that for a couple reasons. One, I think the ITR calipers will be more than enough for a lighter car with a smaller engine than they were designed for. The Legend calipers would be awesome, but overkill. Second, since the Legend came stock with the calipers on the back of the rotor, you have to switch them from left to right which means the bleeder valve will be on the bottom and bleeding the brakes will be much harder than it needs to. Lastly, I think it will be way easier to find used ITR calipers than Legend calipers.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
likely so. I suggest if going to replace the calipers anyway, perhaps buy some rebuilt calipers (so you have reconditioned piston, new seals, etc). I think Centric sells rebuilt units

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fast brakes, sells rebuilt units as well.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yup, you ccan get tryp-r calipers at Autozone ect.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
likely so. I suggest if going to replace the calipers anyway, perhaps buy some rebuilt calipers (so you have reconditioned piston, new seals, etc). I think Centric sells rebuilt units
fast brakes, sells rebuilt units as well.
yup, you ccan get tryp-r calipers at Autozone ect.
Yeah I will most likely buy rebuilt ones. I got my rear calipers at Autozone. They're Nissins so the same as OEM. I haven't had any issues yet. The trick will be getting the calipers I have now accepted as cores lol.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
find the part you want from Fastbrakes, Centric, etc, and get their part #. then try searching the part # on ebay. might be able to find a reputable seller that's selling cheaper than local or MSRP

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
find the part you want from Fastbrakes, Centric, etc, and get their part #. then try searching the part # on ebay. might be able to find a reputable seller that's selling cheaper than local or MSRP
Thanks for the tip man. Will do. Ebay certainly has some great deals on parts.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got my parts back from Alex! Thanks again man!

I finally found the last parts I needed to finish up my suspension installation. So the car is back on the ground for the first time in 8 months!

This angle makes it look really weird. The front is really high due to no engine and the rear looks lower than it actually is.

I've got more negative rear camber now so I'll probably end up doing the washer trick. It's hard to show in pictures, but I tried my best.

I almost finished cleaning the transmission.

Last, but not least, I had a request for some more engine bay shots.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pick up a long block this weekend. They were out of stock...

I did place a massive order for parts from Honda. Hopefully it's everything I need to get it back on the road.

This week I'm going to order axles and wiring supplies. After that, the only thing I need to order will be exhaust parts.

endo617

Respected
Registered VIP
when using the Prelude rotors, etc, had to modify the brackets. endo617 used Legend calipers and cooper s rotors. stated didn't have to modify them (granted I haven't done this myself)
I can vouch for Endo617, he knows his stuff lol.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well no picture updates this weekend, but I do have a written update if any cares to read it...

So I've been looking for a B16 long block lately. I finally had the cash I needed 2 weeks ago. One of my friends said he was going to JDM engine depot in NJ and that I should go along. I kept waiting for him to go and he has been pretty busy so we didn't get to go at all in June. Last weekend I decided I was going to borrow my dad's van and drive there. I call on Friday and they say they are out of stock and they'll be getting a container on Tuesday so call back then. I call Tuesday and they say they haven't unloaded it yet and to call back on Wednesday. I worked late on Wednesday and couldn't call. Thursday was the fourth so they were closed. I called them on Friday morning and they said they had 3 long blocks in stock. I also called right before they closed to make sure none were sold since I planned to be there when the opened Saturday morning. They still had 3 in stock. I get up Saturday morning and drive 3 hours to get there right when they open. I go inside and ask to see there B16 long blocks. They say they are sold out and all they have are complete swaps. I ask if they will separate the transmission and they say they have to ask there boss but that I can look while they ask him. So they take me over and there is only 1 B16 swap and it is complete junk. It was so covered in dirt and oil that you couldn't even read the engine code on the front. The guy was still on the phone with his boss to see if he could separate it and I just tell him to hang up and I leave. I do not recommend this place. Obviously, they suck at communicating and there warehouse is a mess. To move engines around, they just slide the forklift right under the oil pan pick it up and drop it where it needs to go.

I was pretty pissed at this point and decided to do what I should have done a long time ago. I called Hmotorsonline on the drive home and they weren't open yet. Later that day, Steve calls me back (keep in mind, I didn't even leave a message) to ask what I called for. I placed an order with him and it should be here in 2-3 weeks. That phone call alone was more than worth the extra couple hundred I paid for the long block. I am extremely pleased with their service.

Well that's all for now. I still have some stuff to finish up before the long block gets here and I am going to get started on the wiring this week. When it gets here, I will basically be ready to drop it in.

I also have a massive order from Honda arriving tomorrow so I'll take some pics of that.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hell ya dude! Thats good news! Always better to buck up and pay the little extra imo.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Should have told Steve that Kerry sent you. You'll be happy with the longblock for sure. Be ready to unwrap a beehive when it arrives.