2006 Civic - Cracked Engine Block

landwrx

5+ Year Member
Welcome to clubcivic hardy! Thank you for registering and sharing your experience with us. I'm still unaware of any TSBs regarding this issue. I'm also surprised Honda didn't offer you a loaner car... Last time I had my Honda in for warranty work (about 8 years ago), they loaned me an Accord during my downtime.
There is a service bulletin, it is number 08-044, so far it says it applies to all 2006–07 Civic – ALL except GX, Hybrid, and Si. I am wondering if they fixed the problem for the 08-09, so far I have not seen anyone on here with a 2008 or 2009 civic with a cracked engine block.

The service bulletin is reattached

Attachments

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i got a question for everyone with a cracked engine block.

have you had the warranty work for the water pump/pulley done? i had my water pump and pulley replaced under warranty as a recall.

Peters06Civic

5+ Year Member
i got a question for everyone with a cracked engine block.

have you had the warranty work for the water pump/pulley done? i had my water pump and pulley replaced under warranty as a recall.
I am wondering the same as I have had this recall performed on mine.

In addition, I have had our 06' with 31,000 miles in at least 5-6 times because the coolant reservoir is low. They just top it up... I have never owned any car that slowly lost coolant at any rate, much less 1/2 the reservoir per oil change. No puddles under the car, but is that what's coming next?

I'm new BTW (as if it wasn't obvious by my join date). The Civic is actually my wifes which we bought brand new in Aug. of 2006. It's been a great car except for the recalls, sun visors, and the magic dissapearing coolant. Should we go trade it in?

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
we prob have the same car lol, i recieved mine on like the 4th of august 06. it shouldnt be slowly leaking coolant at all. have you been paying attention to the temp guage? every new model has recalls especially since this is a fairly new engine. i never had a problem with sunvisors like most, but rarely ever use mine.

as for trade in..depends on if you feel that it will do it. i cant really tell you to trade it in. if i say yes, it could never be a problem, if i say no keep it, and it happens youd blame me lol.

i have kinda felt nervous about mine after all this, but it does have a 60k powertrain warranty so im not too worried.

Peters06Civic

5+ Year Member
Yeah, who knows... I printed off the 08-044 service bulletin and am going to keep a close eye for coolant seepage from the block at the points the cracks develope. I don't mind keeping it while it's under warranty but I feel it's a safety issue as my (pregnant) wife drives it and often has our 2 year old daughter along. I don't want them being stranded somewhere, or worse...

This whole issue really has me questioning Honda. Before this Civic, my wifes 2003 Civic (with 14,000 miles) had the tranny go out. Two new Hondas, one major problem, several small problems, and another major one lurking. Eeek...

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hmm, that would have me worried too, congrats on the baby btw.

i need to check my fluid..i havnt yet lol but i did just get the waterpump done about 2k miles ago or less

its_errick

Becoming a regular
5+ Year Member
wait a min... lOl this doesn't affect FG2 does it? Its a completly different engine...

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
correct only the R18 motor in the dx, lx and ex

the FG2 has enough problems like the 3rd gear to worry about =)

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
alot of people have problems with it going into, or staying in 3rd. not everyone though

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
alot of people have problems with it going into, or staying in 3rd. not everyone though
and that was mainly only 06-07, honda supposedly took care of this with 08, though i think some people with 08 may have claimed to have this issue.

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
my friend said they recalled the first X amount of 08's...his car didn't fall into the number but I do know they are recalling some of the first produced 08's.

GETxERxDONE

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
didnt know they had a recall, but i knew they have a TSB for the 06-07 and i guess part of 08

it replaces the synchros

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i blame the carpocalypse....

its_errick

Becoming a regular
5+ Year Member
whew got me an 08 :D i have problem with 2nd a little though... It is really hard to get it. I have to force it in twice to get it to engage

Wild Willy

5+ Year Member
Joining the 06 all cracked up club

I am sure everyone is aware of this problem. 06 honda civic dx 155k that I put on it my self I drive 120 miles+ 6 days a week.
Driving home one night with the wife and kid when my wife says there is the sweet smell
of anti-freeze in the air. when we got home noticed the wet hood and chalked it up to a water
pump seal. So i got the part sent up next day (that takes 3 days to get here)!! when it arrives
we set up an appointment to change out the water pump. Two hours later i get the call.
"Your car has a cracked block" (mind you it has been -20 all that week so I thought it was
from freezing.) My service adviser says that he talked to Honda USA and they have not herd of
this problem before. Then I get on the internet. This is going to cost me $3400.00+ not having my car
till almost next month.

Last edited:

Peters06Civic

5+ Year Member
Are you sure thay said cracked head and not cracked block? A cracked head I have not heard of... Sorry to hear of your problem.