98 Hatch slow motion build.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Damn that thing is nasty lol...
Just you wait!... I'm such a clean freak, it's all I can do to keep from rolling her outside and taking the power washer to the inside right now... will save that for paint time though. For now, rags and soapy water will have to do.

Sometimes I can't believe the way people trash their cars though. Like they have not pride in what they own.

mylovehx

Hatches rock
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just you wait!... I'm such a clean freak, it's all I can do to keep from rolling her outside and taking the power washer to the inside right now... will save that for paint time though. For now, rags and soapy water will have to do.

Sometimes I can't believe the way people trash their cars though. Like they have not pride in what they own.
Oh I know. Mine was previously owed by an old woman. The center console was literally filled on the inside with all that girl jazz. I still need to replace my carpet as it is toast as well.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im with ya. The thing that gets me is the people with brand new cars that never wash them once. I clean my cars so much its prolly bad for them lol...

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I remember when mine had that kind of dirt....cleaned it for like a week straight.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I feel somewhat defeated today. The engine control ECU I ordered came in. Plugged it in, and still no start, and no check engine light. So I went back through the ECU pin outs and tested pin by pin on every wire. Turns out I don't have the battery voltage I'm supposed to have at the ignition control module wire... resistance somewhere in the circuit or something using power that shouldn't. So I pulled the distributor cap and started testing the module. Module tested good, however, the blue wire coming off the module that I think is the tach signal wire, is supposed to have continuity of less than 1ohm to the tach test wire, but no continuity to ground, is at 0.6ohms to the tach wire, and 25+ Mohms to ground. So somewhere in the engine harness I have either a short to ground or a short to another wire that's providing a ground... freaking wonderful!
So I have to decide... do I pull the harness, cut the wire loom and trace my wire until I find the short, or order a new engine harness ($250 from Honda)?

I just thought about this.. but if a moderator sees this thread, it might need to be moved to the build section.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Good news, bad news.

Good news... found my wiring short in the harness running directly behind/under the intake manifold, and I now have a check engine light.

Bad news... have a dead tdc/ckp/cyp sensor module .... so still no run... and since it's non-serviceable and built in to the distributor itself, I ordered a new distributor housing from Honda... should arrive the middle of next week.

In other news, I also scrubbed the entire inside of the car, top to bottom with some hot water and simple green. So it smells much better, and I'm not sticking to everything I touch.... ordered new carpet from stockinteriors.com which should also be in sometime around the middle of next week. Trying to talk the wife into letting me look for some SiR seats, which I think will go better with the color scheme I'm thinking of.

Speaking of which... if anyone around has DAP paint, can you please post a picture of your paint code sticker? Or if anyone knows the full DAP paint code, post it up, please.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Fortune and smiles upon me. The delivery man hath brought manna from the internet!

Carpet

Distributor

Just finished installing the distributor, and after much coaxing (do to extremely bad gas left in the tank) she is alive and running!

The good news... the engine runs smoothly with no apparent noises or problems.

The bad news... the transmission sounds like a box of rocks! Not entirely unexpected as it's very common for civics of 150k+ miles to need new bearings in the transmission. So the next task is to pull the motor and transmission and start a rebuild on the trans. And as I am on a budget and have very very little time.... even less now that we just found out I have a first born on the way... God knows how long it's going to take.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I haven't touched this post in a while.... not making progress very quickly because my wife and I welcomed our first born a little over 2 months ago... between the two of them, my time to work on my project is almost totally sapped. My wife pretty much hands me the baby as I walk in the door from work in the evenings and tells me "I need a break!"

I finally got around to ordering bearings and seals for the transmission... I'll be working late into the nights of this week to pull it out of the car, so I (hopefully) have a chance to rebuild it Saturday.

Also ordered some suede headliner fabric and materials to fix that so I can get the interior put back in the car... the new carpet is in, but nothing else is.

I pulled the door panels up to check on recovering them with new material and found only 3 or so clips were actually holding the panels on, and they broke when I popped the panels off.... frustrated because Honda wants to charge way too much for those stupid clips I did a search and ran across this website ClipsandFasteners.com with actual Honda clips and fasteners with actual Honda part numbers, for much cheaper than getting them from Honda... can't believe I didn't find this site years ago.

And I may be attempting a K20 swap, because my engine in my '07 has started making noises that sounds like either the timing chain guides wearing out, or the timing chain tensioner not performing like it should, so I'm about to start looking for a motor for it, because I don't have the time to let it sit idle while I rebuild the one that's in it...... 150k original owner, hard driven miles, in case you're wondering.... and then I'll have an extra K20 in the garage to put in something.

So... super slow project is still on the move at molasses speed, but not dead.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Better late than never man! Congrats on the kid by the way!
Thanks much.

Synchrotec Transmissions called me today and told me they think I may have ordered the wrong size bearings so I'll have to call them back tomorrow with the casting numbers on the transmission case to make sure they're right... hopefully they'll still arrive by this weekend.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
An og's build thread. Nice.

Tuned in for potential k swap :cool:

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I woke up this morning and tried to decide what to do. So I went out to the garage and pulled yard equipment out... and then it all sat out in the back yard all day and I went back in and pulled the transmission out of the hatch.

Depending on how busy work is this week, I may or may not wait until Saturday to pull it apart and put the new bearings in... in the mean time, I'm going to go ahead and pull the clutch off and replace the rear main seal and clean up a little.

Edit: I thought I should add... I've done dozens of civic transmissions and clutches at work with a lift and all my equipment and everything, but except for the ability to raise and lower the car quickly for more room to remove all the bits around the transmission (axles, exhaust, etc.) this was about the easiest, smoothest transaxle extraction I've ever done..... with a floor jack and some jack stands. go figure.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I forgot to mention that last weekend I pulled the headliner and recovered it last weekend... didn't do the best job (Beware! 3M headliner adhesive is some crazy sticky stuff), but it's better than it was.. no pictures yet because I didn't buy enough material to do the visors, and as I was buying more, I changed my mind and decided to make a change.... so I'll take some pictures when I get that sorted out.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
FedEx dropped this off today. :cool: Now just waiting on some stuff from Hardrace.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have no idea what I'm looking at here. :lol:

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It begins.
It was full of gear oil. I hate the smell of gear oil. Someone probably thought some 90 weight would quiet the transmission down some.

After a visit to the steam washer.

And suddenly the image stabilization on my point and shoot decided to stop working completely, and my hands shake like Michael J. Fox.

And back together.

It's over 100° in my garage, so I'll nap now and maybe put it back in the car tonight or tomorrow while it's cool.

EDIT: I'm going to start reducing the size of my uploads to make it easier to view on the forum. Sorry about the massive pictures.

Last edited: