act440's slow 98 s10 build

act440

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well as some of you know i had acquired a 1998 s10 back in September for completely free, it even had a free brand new Kobalt tool box in it! Only one problem, the guy who had it before said that he had just replaced the water pump and about a week later he was driving down the road and saw it was over heating bad so he ended up getting it towed. He figured he blew a gasket and it jumped time, dirty stuff, i know. Anyway after finding out my head probably warped and realizing the last sip of oil this motor drank was some pretty nasty 10w50, (what the f*** right?) we figured out it had some blow by and realized the most important thing, the motor was fried.
So after frantically searching high and low, and raping Craigslist for about a month, i picked up a rusty ass step side that ran perfect with only 68k on it for 900 bucks and it was on. yanked my motor and trans and pushed my turd to the curb in front of the house until i it was ready for the heart transplant.
After the hard work was done and both motors and trannys were pulled, we ripped apart the rusty donor truck and scavenged it for its good parts, took the wheels off it and had them drag it onto the flat bed they paid us a crispy 300 bucks and we were set.
We hustled and ended up getting the new drive train in pretty quick, dumped some money into the form of a budget exhaust being a new down pipe, a hollowed out cat, a thrush glass pack and a turn down tip and the miscellaneous tid bits but one problem, it ran like ass! With a miss on cylinder 2 and an obvious fuel delivery problem we searched for days and ended up seeing that a pin in an injector clip was bent, we bent it back and she roared just fine.
I started with a mild mod being some 10k blue Xentec HIDs and i was cruisin' in style, i later added a sunpro tach to keep and eye on my motor speed and here we are. As of recent it has 149k on the body and 69k on the motor and trans swap and i have big plans for her so stay tuned!

Most Recent Pictures! v

yes i know the wheels are ugly i have s10 premium wheels like these that im putting on come summer time v

hopefully soon i'll have them sanded down and painted black. Also i replaced the driver side fender due to a giant crease in the old one, i repainted it at school so since the weather has been good lately so i should have new pictures within the next few days, might even do an exhaust clip ;]

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
pics ,and dump it! , welcome to cc'S truck club

act440

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
pics ,and dump it! , welcome to cc'S truck club
Just edited in pictures for everyone!
but yeah i hope to drop it a few, originally i wanted to do a 5/6 but now im just thinking some chevy 17's or something tasteful and simple with a 2/3 or so.

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice, i love s10s. Ive got an 88 s10 blazer with a mild built 305 lowered 3/3. You need a drop!

act440

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice, i love s10s. Ive got an 88 s10 blazer with a mild built 305 lowered 3/3. You need a drop!
I know i do it kills me to ride 4x4 status on a two wheel drive 2.2l ! im trying to source all my body replacement panels to make my body solid before i worry about i drop, its definitely on my mind, but not a priority.
might be getting this tailgate:
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/2858287679.html
mine is rusting out all along the bottom and its beyond repairable, and obviously id pay nowhere near 120 due to id have to repaint it myself, but the handle is already shaved and it saves some work.

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I know i do it kills me to ride 4x4 status on a two wheel drive 2.2l ! im trying to source all my body replacement panels to make my body solid before i worry about i drop, its definitely on my mind, but not a priority.
might be getting this tailgate:
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/2858287679.html
mine is rusting out all along the bottom and its beyond repairable, and obviously id pay nowhere near 120 due to id have to repaint it myself, but the handle is already shaved and it saves some work.
Nice find, all the hard works done. Probably wouldnt give more then 75 for it though.
Then get a roll pan and the back will be lookin nice.

act440

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice find, all the hard works done. Probably wouldnt give more then 75 for it though.
Then get a roll pan and the back will be lookin nice.
75 was exactly what i was thinking, ive been watching it and this is its second time getting posted, so he would take it, but i just found a steal! my passenger side mirror has always been some random mirror and definitely not a stock s10 side mirror, and check it what i just found!
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/2812791142.html
thats a full 5 minutes from my house and cheap as hell, and brand new in box!

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nice, i like the way s10's look when they are fixed up. just not a fan of the motors, they are pretty crappy

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i say, sell the tool box, and use that money to drop it

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
75 was exactly what i was thinking, ive been watching it and this is its second time getting posted, so he would take it, but i just found a steal! my passenger side mirror has always been some random mirror and definitely not a stock s10 side mirror, and check it what i just found!
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/2812791142.html
thats a full 5 minutes from my house and cheap as hell, and brand new in box!
That is a steal, id head over there and get it asap. lol

act440

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice, i like the way s10's look when they are fixed up. just not a fan of the motors, they are pretty crappy
yeah they arent the greatest but i did a full coolant flush, new tranny fluid and filter, oil and oil filter and it is running perfect. trans shifts smooth as butter and the motor doesnt skip a beat. so far no complaints. i do need both front struts replaced which are only 25 a piece at autozone and a new wiper motor, mine died the other day and i drove home quit frantically during a the sprinkle showers, the local pull a part is only charging 17 bucks for one with a warranty so even if it blows ill have a replacement i can get which is better then paying 110 for a brand new one at autozone.

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah they arent the greatest but i did a full coolant flush, new tranny fluid and filter, oil and oil filter and it is running perfect. trans shifts smooth as butter and the motor doesnt skip a beat. so far no complaints. i do need both front struts replaced which are only 25 a piece at autozone and a new wiper motor, mine died the other day and i drove home quit frantically during a the sprinkle showers, the local pull a part is only charging 17 bucks for one with a warranty so even if it blows ill have a replacement i can get which is better then paying 110 for a brand new one at autozone.
Damn nice, I wish there was a pull a part closer to me. Nearest one is over an hour drive.

act440

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i say, sell the tool box, and use that money to drop it
Exactly, could probably get a solid 100+ for that box. Thats almost a set of coils for the front and blocks are cheap for the rear.
i dunno i like the box and at the moment its being used as a spare parts bin because extra space for truck parts is scarce at my house. plus as i said before im just trying to knock off all my needed mechanical and exterior parts such as struts, wiper motor, mirror, tailgate, and fender. once those are knocked out, ill definitely be looking into a drop.

That is a steal, id head over there and get it asap. lol
i know i almost s**t when i saw how cheap it was! im definitely going to be picking it up this week!

p.s what do you guys know about lowering an s10 with torsion bar keys?

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think the torsion bars are only on the 4x4s. Pretty sure all you can do is front spindles and coils, rear leafs and blocks.

act440

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think the torsion bars are only on the 4x4s. Pretty sure all you can do is front spindles and coils, rear leafs and blocks.
thats what i figured

but what do you guys htink of those 18s i posted earlier?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i have torsions on the front of mine, but its a 91 , and its a mazda. soOo.