Altezza tail lights? What's so rice about them?

dnunit

Banned
What's up everyone!! I want to discuss something that everyone deems rice: Altezza/Euro tail lights. I'm not for them or I'm not against them and trust me, I'm an expert at telling rice from not rice and I'm definetely not a ricer :lol: Anyway, the thing I don't get about them is why are they considered rice? I don't think they hinder a car's performance, and whether someone thinks its ugly or nice is their opinion. If Altezza tail lights actually slow a car's performance, I can understand if it's rice, but I highly doubt the idea that tail lights slow a car's performance lol. If people have deemed them rice just based on their opinion, then that's definetely not a valid reason for it being rice. People have what they like and what they don't like. Basically, what I'm trying to say is: What makes them rice?

fliposopher

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well rice in my opinion usually means tacky and ugly. altezzas on civics fall under that very category.

Depsa

5+ Year Member
alot of people think if its not "JDM" its rice. (i think its bull sh@t) Do what you want. If you think it looks good then what else matters. To me Rice is Non painted body kits, and No performance... much like what the last guy posted

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
all show no go. one who says he has "motor swap", but has stock D15.

nurevEKcivic00

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
altezza's in my opinion only look good ON THE ALTEZZA'S, on a civic i think its wayyyyy to much chrome, and civics in my opinion dont accept chrome, maybe alittle on rims and s**t but not tail lights, even the stock chrome headlights, i have them and i want to replace em sooooo bad i dunno y, also just the way they are set up looks very tacky and "thrown together", unless its on the altezza or the usdm lexus is300. dunno thats just my opinion

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$100 says that OP has altezzas.

Jezek

No Avatar FTW.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ :haha:

This thread sorta sucks.................

kangaroo

..........UPS.........
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There not rice. Most people just don't like the looks of them and need an excuess to go along.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dnunit said:
What's up everyone!! I want to discuss something that everyone deems rice: Altezza/Euro tail lights. I'm not for them or I'm not against them and trust me, I'm an expert at telling rice from not rice and I'm definetely not a ricer :lol: Anyway, the thing I don't get about them is why are they considered rice? I don't think they hinder a car's performance, and whether someone thinks its ugly or nice is their opinion. If Altezza tail lights actually slow a car's performance, I can understand if it's rice, but I highly doubt the idea that tail lights slow a car's performance lol. If people have deemed them rice just based on their opinion, then that's definetely not a valid reason for it being rice. People have what they like and what they don't like. Basically, what I'm trying to say is: What makes them rice?
Some of the problems with aftermarket altezza style taillights:
- Leaking.
- Poor light output (often illegal or discolored).
- Often cheaply made.
- Fitment issues.
- Cheap wiring.
- Sometimes even cause electrical problems.

That sounds like it could be hindering performance to me. They're even capable of becoming a safety issue.

f**k going along with a trend. I just plain don't like aftermarket taillights because of their poor quality (OEM style or not).

ryanM

Green 91 said:
all show no go. one who says he has "motor swap", but has stock D15.
whats your point? if i had a stock D15 in my car it would still be a motor swap...

there is no such thing as rice. it is all subjective and opinionated. do what you want to your car. f**k everyone else.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not just that... but altezzas... well, saying "all show, no go" about them makes it sound like you'd be okay with them being on a car as long as it's got "go".

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Honestly, I dont like altezzas mainly because they're hard on the eyes to me.. Im kinda nearsighted, and when it rains or at night, altezza tails mess with my eyes a little bit.. Some also reflect light a little too much (most stock ones are a little tinted by the red/amber/whatever) and end up too bright...

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sundown said:
Honestly, I dont like altezzas mainly because they're hard on the eyes to me.. Im kinda nearsighted, and when it rains or at night, altezza tails mess with my eyes a little bit.. Some also reflect light a little too much (most stock ones are a little tinted by the red/amber/whatever) and end up too bright...
:werd:

True too.. but truck headlights and turn signals at red lights bother me more. Some newer cars have such bright turn signals on their taillights.

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dnunit said:
I'm an expert at telling rice from not rice and I'm definetely not a ricer
I had to laugh at that. I want to know what makes you an "expert" if you said that the term 'rice' is an opinionated statement?
Either way, i think rice is based on tackiness. Basically if it doesnt go with a civic, its considered rice. ie, a huge bi plane wing in the back. Yes, it might look good to the owner, and thats fine if he does, but to everyone else, its too big, serves no purpose, it doesnt need a wing on FF, and it probably not even functional wing. And for the most part, when it was cool to have all that stuff, it got played out as soon as F&F came out and made it main stream, then every1 and there mom wanted to be like vin diesel and paul walker. [/opinon]

Silver Bullet

6 spd = titis
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a Ricer is someone who but Altezza tail lights on take off their hubcaps and puts some racing sparkplugs on with a big bench on their trunk and hes off to the track

dnunit

Banned
X-aCuTiOnA said:
I had to laugh at that. I want to know what makes you an "expert" if you said that the term 'rice' is an opinionated statement?
Either way, i think rice is based on tackiness. Basically if it doesnt go with a civic, its considered rice. ie, a huge bi plane wing in the back. Yes, it might look good to the owner, and thats fine if he does, but to everyone else, its too big, serves no purpose, it doesnt need a wing on FF, and it probably not even functional wing. And for the most part, when it was cool to have all that stuff, it got played out as soon as F&F came out and made it main stream, then every1 and there mom wanted to be like vin diesel and paul walker. [/opinon]
lol :roll:

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
altezzas.....i remember when i wanted to buy some.... good thing i didnt have anymoney