Altezza tail lights? What's so rice about them?

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
altezzas.....i remember when i wanted to buy some.... good thing i didnt have anymoney
Amen, I was a ricer-to-be before I joined CC. Thank God i didnt have my civic at that time

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Z-omg did Amy swear???? :shock:

J/p. But IMO, Altezzas just don't do it on a civic. All show no go has it's extents. When you see a civic with simple lip kit, altezzas, oem wing, black housing lights, you wouldn't think Altezzas aren't that bad. But going all out with $600 ugly bodykit, huge aluminum F&F wing, chrome rims, eBay projectors, vented hood, etc. THEN altezza's are like, "okay, thats just gay". JUST plain altezzas with nothing else can probably fall under the same category as the previous sentence as well.

I think it all just depends on how the car is put together. Plus, the world we know it today for civic's is pretty much rice, or clean and simple. IMHO, we've all been pushed to go to one side, so it's hard to justify the other side with reasonable explanations.

I personally don't mind Altezzas. But like I said, on fully "pimped out" and "riced out" cars, they're rice ;)

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think that we see altezzas on lots of cars because a lot of people, especially kids with one of their first cars or one of their first decent looking car (not just a beater) are desperate to make their car look different or to personalize it. Altezzas are plentiful and relatively inexpensive and definately make your car look different. Availability also plays a factor I imagine. Such as selling them in local stores. So they go for that.

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Definition of rice...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_car

I personally don't like most altezzas because they usually look either tacky or really just out of place. I would much rather spend my money on more performace or a few other very slight exterior additions that would make my car look better. i.e. front lip, si front grill...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
NOFX said:
I think that we see altezzas on lots of cars because a lot of people, especially kids with one of their first cars or one of their first decent looking car (not just a beater) are desperate to make their car look different or to personalize it. Altezzas are plentiful and relatively inexpensive and definately make your car look different. Availability also plays a factor I imagine. Such as selling them in local stores. So they go for that.
:werd:

Also, I think kids like to put as much as they can on their cars. Nowadays, you can pretty much put anything on your car to make it look all dressed up. And since in most cases cosmetics is cheaper than performance, I believe that's also another reason why people lean to "ricing" their cars out.

But anyways, this is getting a little off the OP topic. So yeah... Altezza's are still rice in my book ;) :lol:

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if civics in Japan were modded with wings, altezzas, neon lights, etc in the beginning..would that be the jdm and lips be the rice?..

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
2slo4u said:
if civics in Japan were modded with wings, altezzas, neon lights, etc in the beginning..would that be the jdm and lips be the rice?..
I don't think Japanese cars have ever been modified the way "JDM styled" cars here are modified. I mean, I'm sure it's happening now, but I think it originated in the US.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is it just the way it looks on civics, integras, smaller compact cars? cause it seems that all the race cars (drifters) today have wings and body kits ...so if altezzas came stock on civics..would the stock tails we have now be considered rice then?..

all this talk about rice is making me hungry now..

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
2slo4u said:
is it just the way it looks on civics, integras, smaller compact cars? cause it seems that all the race cars (drifters) today have wings and body kits ...so if altezzas came stock on civics..would the stock tails we have now be considered rice then?..

all this talk about rice is making me hungry now..
Well, I've seen 240s and such that actually look good with body kits.... But then again, a lot of those body kits are a closer design to the stock bumpers and go with the way the car is shaped better than a lot of Civic body kits. Civics can look good with body kits... but a lot of time people put kits way too square onto Civics, which are more rounded than the kits some might try to put on them. That or the body kits just look too big on the car.

I don't see a whole lot of body kits on 240s that are too large for the car (i.e., significantly larger than the stock bumpers).

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I think that if a civic is fully done up...altezza's can look good on it IMO. i had altezza's for the longest time (and people here can tell ya that) just because i wanted to be different. i didnt want to sport the stock tails and at the time, red clears just were doing it for me on the "different" factor. i thought stock tails looked too "sleeper" at that time. now that i've grown up and wanted a car that would be respected for clean styling, thats basically what i've gone for and not all that much of an attention whore when it comes to tail lights.

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2slo4u said:
BUt with drifting it serves a purpous, wing, provides down force for the rear wheels, and im sure the body kits provide some kind of aerodynamic affect also.

And if civic came stock with tezzas, then probably would be rice, but it didnt come with tezzas so we dont have to worry do we??

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
X-aCuTiOnA said:
and im sure the body kits provide some kind of aerodynamic affect also.
Not really, no. I agree with NOFX though, certain cars look good with certain kits. Generally though Civic body kits just dont flow with the stock lines of the car. Usually when you see those professional drift cars the kits on them are very high quality, with good fitment and a lot of R&D time to make sure it actually looks good.

blare

I only race from a roll.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think rice is, badging a car with something its not or dont got. Like the following...
Type R badge when you dont got anything on your car thats Type R.

DOHC Vtec stickers, When they have a SOHC in there car. An then they pull a slick one out there rear end and say the swap's at home.

Purchasing a bodykit and putting it on, And 2months later there seen again and it's still not painted.

Having stickers of all the known companies for car parts down the side of your car, and you have no parts on your car from them companies.

Buying an imitation of something, Like an exhuast... Apexi N1, Then still trying to play it off like it's the real thing.

Im sure there are hundreds more, but im lazy you get the point.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think it depends on the car and the quality of the lights.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
\\ Forgiven // said:
Not really, no. I agree with NOFX though, certain cars look good with certain kits. Generally though Civic body kits just dont flow with the stock lines of the car. Usually when you see those professional drift cars the kits on them are very high quality, with good fitment and a lot of R&D time to make sure it actually looks good.
I mean, there are kits out there with aerodynamic advatage, but they're EXPENSIVE. :shock:

As far as badging... I'm starting to think maybe that shoud be taken on a case by case basis. Type R stickers generally are bad... unless you're modded to be a Type R or damn close to one. Hell, I don't even care if you want to do it to a coupe as long as it's comparable...

But this... this is just awesome.

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
\\ Forgiven // said:
Actually a lot of them do serve real purposes...
Example:
The vents in the front of the bumper are routed to the front brakes, and I cant really remember, but I think the vents for the back are routed up to the rear disks as well...

With drifting, body kits are sometimes used to give wider flares, enabling the car to have wider wheels/tires. Some also are designed to push the front end down (dunno about this one) to increase traction and control..

But back on subject, I dont really like altezzas, but damn, IS300 tails are sexy =).. The civic ones that try to imitate it, not so much..

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oh, and as for the comment about if altezzas came STOCK on Civics.... well, I think they'd still be a lot different than the aftermarket lights. they'd probably be more like the sotkc altezzas style lighting that many other vehicles have today. Sure they might not look as good to some, but they'd definately be of higher quality.