car engine shuts off after stoping sometimes

lucas29k

5+ Year Member
ok so i have a manual honda civic 2000 dx. sometimes when am slowing down to stop or while im stopping for a red light or stop sign my car engine shuts off. the radio keeps playing and lights are still on but the engine shuts off. sometimes it will go a week without doing it once and sometimes it does it a couple times a day like it has today. it ALWAYS starts back up without a problem but was wondering why its doing this?

brian762

5+ Year Member
lol didnt see it in the original, sorry. it could be your clutch not disengaging far enough.

lucas29k

5+ Year Member
no not at all. there is nothin unsual. it will just roll. not jerk or sudden stop or anything like that. like ill be holding in the clutch to down shift into first gear or second and the engine will just cut off. its just like if i was rolling holding the clutch and turned the key off. it just rolls no jerk or anything. it doesnt shut off all the time tho. very wierd and annoying :/

lucas29k

5+ Year Member
i dont no how to check for vacum leaks. there are no cel codes. when the car shuts off the battery light goes on and somethin else but i dont remember. ill have to look next time it happens

lucas29k

5+ Year Member
ya it have a d16 y7. and thanks for leak. so by reading that it seems like its a real pain in the ass to find the leak. should i just take it to a mechanic to try and figure it out. or what about adjusting the idle? should i try setting it to a higher idle and see if it still does it?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ya it have a d16 y7. and thanks for leak. so by reading that it seems like its a real pain in the ass to find the leak. should i just take it to a mechanic to try and figure it out. or what about adjusting the idle? should i try setting it to a higher idle and see if it still does it?
What is your idle when warm, with all accessories off?

lucas29k

5+ Year Member
by asking what my idle is im guessing u mean rpm? i dont have rpm gauge since its a dx :( lol it sucks i no

bmx4life54321

saving neglected honda
5+ Year Member
im kinda leaning toward a vacuum leak. my old jetta did this i had vacuum issues for a long time the person that had it before me had a mess of them, pulled out about 12-20 lines that were running back into eachother. stupid kid. stupid jetta. check your vac lines

lucas29k

5+ Year Member
should i check to see if theyre loose or cracked? and which are vac lines? should i just check all hoses in engine bay?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
by asking what my idle is im guessing u mean rpm? i dont have rpm gauge since its a dx :( lol it sucks i no
You may want to use a tachometer such as the following one to measure your engine speed and find out if your idle is low.

http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7605-Tachometer-Voltmeter-Analyzer/dp/B00062YUUS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1266727188&sr=1-1

At warm idle, does your car shake?

Check the vacuum lines first, as obviously that doesn't cost any money and that tool does.

lucas29k

5+ Year Member
ok i also forgot. when i swapped out the cylinder head one of the valve cover bolts broke off in the head and is stuck in it so there is just a bolt sitting in the hole with some sealant around it to help it stick and one of the exhuast header studs is not there cuz it was no good. could these two things be vacum leaks? cuz if i remember right it started randomly doing this after switching heads

JuiceBoxHero

ASE Certified Chef
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a problem similar to this and it turned out to be messed up spark plug wires. Check your ignition system (dizzy, wires, plugs) and make sure they are all good.

lucas29k

5+ Year Member
well the dizzy is supposably new and it has new spark plugs. how could i check the wires? they look fine on the outside like none is ripped or anything