car engine shuts off after stoping sometimes

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well the dizzy is supposably new and it has new spark plugs. how could i check the wires? they look fine on the outside like none is ripped or anything
Buy an extra spark plug (inexpensive, NGK is $2-3) and then take one wire off one of the plugs. Put the new plug into the loose wire, and place the tip of the plug so that it's touching the valve cover or another ground. Have a friend crank the car. You should see bright white spark at the end of the plug. Put that wire back in and repeat for the other three wires. If the spark is orange on any of the wires, replace your wires.

lucas29k

5+ Year Member
ok i might have to do that. i took it to a mechanic just to look at it today, i told him everything it was doin and just by what i said and him looking at it running he said the fuel injectors might need serviced which is around $140. u think that could be it? thats all he said

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i might have to do that. i took it to a mechanic just to look at it today, i told him everything it was doin and just by what i said and him looking at it running he said the fuel injectors might need serviced which is around $140. u think that could be it? thats all he said
Fuel injector issues are way down the list. There are many more tests and cheap, serviceable parts before injectors.

If spark checks ok, we can get into fuel and timing.

Did the mechanic eliminate a vacuum leak as an issue?

lucas29k

5+ Year Member
ya thats what i figured. and no he didnt. i mentioned it and he just said it could be and then said the thing about it could be the fuel injectors. he said he wouldnt be able to tell that i should leave the car with him one day so he can drive it and experience when it happens. he probably said injectors cuz hes like 95% of mechanics just trying to get money. im thinking it could have somethin to do with timing? since it happened after puttin a new head on. i didnt get a new timing belt when i switched heads could that cause this? i dont think its the spark plug wires just because it started doin this after puting new head on. its just been doing it more often now. is there anything i could have not done right or not done that i should have done when replacing a cylinder head that would cause my car to shut off like i stated? if anyone knows

RonJ

Banned
Any CEL codes?

1) Clean the IACV.

2) Try cleaning and tightening the important ground wire attached to the thermostat housing.

3) Pull out the ICM from the distributor and have it tested at an auto parts store.

lucas29k

5+ Year Member
how do i clean the iacv and where is it? ya i switched it with a y7. same one just rebuilt

edit: nevermind i found a couple how tos. im gonna try it today since it looks pretty simple

96civicej8

1996 honda civic ex 2dr

i have a 96 honda civic ex my car has been acting funny when i turn on the engine the lights will kind of flicker and as for the whole car it whould seem like it wants to shut off so i change the altenator that fix the flicker but now i gave it a test ride with the new altonator and a 1 min later while riding the car the car start to feel like it has low power it wont go fast the lights in the whole car go low then it shuts of and wont strat again. i change the whole exhast system from heAder to muffler how ever i had one oxygen sensor missing from the rear and then as for the front it still had it when the guy whole installed my exhaust system he moved the front oxygen sensor to the rear. idk whats the problem ?? and idea that can help please i have a whole buddy club spec 3 exhaust and pipes the header is dc and the cat convetor is a megan do u think its has to much on if so i was planig to change back to stock if thats the case i will just want some help to get my car cone back to me :(

imfromdade15

5+ Year Member
i had the same problem with my car a few months ago sometimes it would even turn off while i was driving, i found out the problem was the ignition switch, you should check it out.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have a 96 honda civic ex my car has been acting funny when i turn on the engine the lights will kind of flicker and as for the whole car it whould seem like it wants to shut off so i change the altenator that fix the flicker but now i gave it a test ride with the new altonator and a 1 min later while riding the car the car start to feel like it has low power it wont go fast the lights in the whole car go low then it shuts of and wont strat again. i change the whole exhast system from heAder to muffler how ever i had one oxygen sensor missing from the rear and then as for the front it still had it when the guy whole installed my exhaust system he moved the front oxygen sensor to the rear. idk whats the problem ?? and idea that can help please i have a whole buddy club spec 3 exhaust and pipes the header is dc and the cat convetor is a megan do u think its has to much on if so i was planig to change back to stock if thats the case i will just want some help to get my car cone back to me :(
The problem has nothing to do with your exhaust, stop worrying about your exhaust.

The problem is somewhere in the ignition system, evidenced by the lights going low. What is the battery voltage? Measure it from post to post using a voltmeter set to DC volts.

Any CEL codes?

96civicej8

ok umm i took my car to advance auto parts and they did a free check and they said i need to change the alternator belt and sum other things but now i notice when i was driving my car i trun on my light it shows abs and the car wants to shut off it also wants to shut off when i use the radio turn signal or brake and windows etc anything that requries electric power it wants to shut off and the abs lights show when its beeing used when i dont use none of it the car runs ok and the abs light turns off any clue what it can be??

96civicej8

and also i chrgerd the battery and after all this that happens when electric is being used it drains the battiry out and wont start

imfromdade15

5+ Year Member
ok umm i took my car to advance auto parts and they did a free check and they said i need to change the alternator belt and sum other things but now i notice when i was driving my car i trun on my light it shows abs and the car wants to shut off it also wants to shut off when i use the radio turn signal or brake and windows etc anything that requries electric power it wants to shut off and the abs lights show when its beeing used when i dont use none of it the car runs ok and the abs light turns off any clue what it can be??
it can be the alternator try changin the belt and see how it runs. if it still has the problem then is probably
your alternator.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it can be the alternator try changin the belt and see how it runs. if it still has the problem then is probably
your alternator.
Yes, change the alternator belt. Do you know how to? I can fetch you a page from the service manual, I'll do that as soon as I get home even if you don't reply.

If you are still having problems after the new belt is installed correctly, first, double check the tension on the belt. Then, perform the following test:

Measure battery voltage at these three times:

Engine off, all accessories off
Engine on, no accessories on
Engine on, all accessories on, including headlights, heater, A/C, etc.

Post the results.

david9054

yooo i have an auto (not for long) n it did da same thing like 3 weeks ago after i had parked at work i didint even turn da ignition switch n da motor jus died out n it turned back on just fine... it hasnt done it 2 me again tho....

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ahh thanks this will help i will change belt first thing today thanks will let u kno if it woks

one more thing is it bad reving up your automatic car when its on n??? if so what can happen??
It's the same as revving a manual car as neutral. Revving your engine with no load is bad anyway, but it's worse when the engine is cold. If the engine is warm, it's not too bad, but you shouldn't do it anyway.