Cheap Things to do to your 96-00 Civic

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Turn your washer nozels backwords, so you can squirt people.

Orrrr... not sure if it was mentioned yet, but painting the metal trimming under your side windows helps alot. i know most are chipped up and over looked. Its very simple, you dont even have to take them off. Just tape everything around them up good, sand them down, and spray with weather resistant flat black!

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no problem. thanks for making your first post a complaint about mine. you sound like a high school girl. and if you didnt realize this. the first two were almost a month ago. and the second one i said today i didnt think of till after i posted.

civic0918

Registered VIP
whats your idea of cheap? you can lower a car fairly cheap and do it right. lip kits are cheap and easy diy jobs. paint is a good way to improve looks paint your side skirts and wipers if you have a dx paint all moldings to match your car. headlights eye brows. shave your emblems ect. I could go on for ever.

Modest Throttle

Registered VIP
i dislike caliper paint, just save your money and do a upgrade haha just my opinion. but i would suggest keeping fluids at appropriate level and dont slack on those oil changes!!!!

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can 't make your civic fast. That's the cheapest thing you can do: accept that and move on.

Thank being said...

They're incredibly fun to drive, modify, learn about cars on, and service. Your best bet is:

1. Coilovers, camber correction, and professional wheel re-alignment. the most expensive mod you should drop dough on is your ride's suspension and handling.
2. A mechanical refurbishment. Change those leaky engine oil seals, plugs, worn belts, grimy fuel filters, stuck PCV valves, run a compression test, change your oil and throw in a magnetic drain plug, ect, and do it yourself. Half the fun of owning a civic is being able to say you work on it yourself. Get your civic as close to factory performance as you can and it will last you forever.
3. Buy an alarm. A good one. And pay for the professional stealth install.
4. Build and install a fuel cut-off switch. With an intimidating blinking light on the dashboard.
(optional, you lovable grimy ricer you=)
5. Clean and detail the interior and exterior. Shampoo the carpets for the new car look and feel. Your car is basically your d**k, so treat it like such and keep it clean.

Follow these steps and you'll look and feel better than 95% of all the other civics out there.

All other mods should really be done after the first four things on this list. This includes any intakes, headers, exhausts, short shifters, stage three competition clutches (mated perfectly with the d16y7), forced induction, any single damn thing off of craigslist, speakers, subs, amps, headunits, blackened out headlights, engine swaps (which probably isn't the first thing on your list of things to do to your car if you're reading this post, anyway), window tints, OBDII-to-OBDI-conversions-because-I'm-going-to-tune-with-chrome, tow hooks, grime catchers (stuffed animals) hanging off of the tail end of your car, JDM -anything-, mugen shift knobs......and so on.

Ethan98civ

buy a can of night shade( cost is like 15 bucks split wit a friend, did mine and my friends and had plenty) for your tail lights .dont do any glas style lights or head lights!! it drys weird and u wont be able to see!! trust me lol . also could very lightly night shade the brake light in your back dash or what ever but have to remove whole thing (where speakers r) . forget the songle leds ! get led wire off ebay and put it in your gauge cluster and air control mayb even under dash? could always paint your ugly stock rims ! 99cent can of paint from walmart works great! did it on my 4x4 and never chipped (4 yrs later still looking great!) pull and paint the radiator and ac brackets what ever color or any other brackets

ohsnapzitzmeng

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Turn your washer nozels backwords, so you can squirt people.

Orrrr... not sure if it was mentioned yet, but painting the metal trimming under your side windows helps alot. i know most are chipped up and over looked. Its very simple, you dont even have to take them off. Just tape everything around them up good, sand them down, and spray with weather resistant flat black!
lmfao i never thought of that

CDubs

Registered VIP
not sure if this is a repeat or not but get a clay car for when you wash your car next time and follow the directions and your paint will pop again like right when it came out of the booth

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wait, you cant make a civic fast?
lol nah and neither can you, for under several grand. It's not really worth it considering the time and money involved.

Considering that this thread is called "Cheap Things to do to your 96-00 Civic", it sort of falls outside the scope of serious power gains through swaps, forced induction, and tuning, all of which involve lots and lots of money.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol nah and neither can you, for under several grand. It's not really worth it considering the time and money involved.

Considering that this thread is called "Cheap Things to do to your 96-00 Civic", it sort of falls outside the scope of serious power gains through swaps, forced induction, and tuning, all of which involve lots and lots of money.
boosting a singlecam can be cheap.

I was going to say dont tell me you cant make a civic fast. lol, ours makes 1050-1100 whp and runs low 9's :lol:

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You're cute. Wanna race?

boosting a singlecam can be cheap.

I was going to say dont tell me you cant make a civic fast. lol, ours makes 1050-1100 whp and runs low 9's :lol:
Lol it puts down so much HP that it makes the tires explode...? =)

You can make them fast all right, but for on the cheap, not really. I'd love to boost but have decided that for the money that goes into the initial kit, the exhaust piping, the electronic periphery, the wideband sensor, the tuning, the OBD conversion, larger injectors, resistor box wiring, the new ECU, and any custom fitting that the kit requires, I might as well put a down payment on a newer EVO or a Hyundai Genesis. Or '10 Civic Si. Or an S2000. Or even a turbo'd Neon which comes pre-built with a small turbocharger.

Apart from pure hobby, it's literally not worth it to install an aftermarket turbocharger kit.

I love me some boosted civic, but all the time, effort, and expense that goes into it certainly places it outside the "cheap" category.

But for all that...hey, you wanna sell me your turbo when you're done with it? :cool:

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You're cute. Wanna race?

You can make them fast all right, but for on the cheap, not really. I'd love to boost but have decided that for the money that goes into the initial kit, the exhaust piping, the electronic periphery, the wideband sensor, the tuning, the OBD conversion, larger injectors, resistor box wiring, the new ECU, and any custom fitting that the kit requires, I might as well put a down payment on a newer EVO or a Hyundai Genesis. Or '10 Civic Si. Or an S2000. Or even a turbo'd Neon which comes pre-built with a small turbocharger.

Apart from pure hobby, it's literally not worth it to install an aftermarket turbocharger kit.

I love me some boosted civic, but all the time, effort, and expense that goes into it certainly places it outside the "cheap" category.

But for all that...hey, you wanna sell me your turbo when you're done with it? :cool:
First off, everything you're listing, if you shop around, you can get for (including the tune) around 2000-2500. That's an average price for quality parts, not even cheaping out or going crazy. Throw in a grand for some built internals and you can easily be into the 12s. That's a total cost of $5000-6000 with the Civic and boost.

Yeah, you said a down payment for the EVO, Genesis, Neon, and Si. You know how much each of these cars cost MSRP?

EVO: $33590 - $40990
Genesis: $22,000
Neon (2005 SRT-4): $11,645
Civic Si: $22055

That's not even paying interest. Hmm, which is cheaper, a fast Civic for $5000-6000 or these?

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Patchwork vs factory reliability? I'd throw a down payment on that anyday.

My turbo list is "MSRP" btw, I'm sure you can find those cars for cheaper if you shop around. ;)

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Patchwork vs factory reliability? I'd throw a down payment on that anyday.

My turbo list is "MSRP" btw, I'm sure you can find those cars for cheaper if you shop around. ;)
The $3000 or so is for a very reliable turbo build. Certainly not as reliable as stock, but pretty close considering the upgrade. You can put a build together for under a grand, but it has to be run at low boost to keep it reliable.

But whatever, man. We each have our own way of doing things, and we've bickered enough about it. We'll probably each continue to do things as we each see fit. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. :thumbs up

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Word.

And once my civic is no longer my daily driver, I can't wait to start a boost build. =)

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're cute. Wanna race?

im a dude, so im not into that kinda thing. Come out here, ill run you heads up ;)

the tires dont explode....they spin ;)

for the "downpayment" of a evo, you can turbo a single cam that is faster. Its not that expensive...quit your bitching :lol: