CHILD'S *EK* ... finally i have an EK

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I like the hatch, it feels more nimble and very predictable. Can't wait to upgrade the suspension and stabilization. The weight is very light like my coupe was.

I'm gettin the oem grill and oem insert, mud guards, a lip, and im searching for headlights. I might put the headlights off for awhile. Also trying to sell some parts to get some coilovers, lca's and a subframe brace. I an sports tempted to save it all and buy the k20 swap first since its expensive. hmmm...

JDM 94 EG Hatch

Initial D
Registered VIP
^ this guy, man your ek is so fine!!!! like just stock you make it look amazing, but you are a pro photographer, soooo of course you make it look nice, but even if you werent, i would still be just as jealous lol, i cant wait to see this built. oh and cmon man your CHILD K20? nah you are unique, why not a h22 head on a f23 block?? something different..... but if you go K20, its still just as sick! good luck!

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestly a h2b build was my first thought, but I dont like the downsides to it (the balance shafts, frame clearance, engine angle) then I considered the big boy single cam f23a but again the install details weren't to my liking. So I settled on a type r b series until I read about new ways of doing the k swap without cutting the chassis. Plus doing a k gives a reason to change out everything to new pieces.

Last edited:

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Plus doing a k gives a reason to change out everything to new pieces.
You've got the same sickness I have. I love some new parts. The more the better. I see rusty bolts and I just wanna look em up on Majestic's website and buy new ones.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:thumbs up yeah I feel ya. I actually need to order a few plastic pieces, retaining clips (the ones that always break on the bumper), and a hood latch. I plan to replace a bunch of things but I know if I start now I'll never get around to the expensive parts.

K-N-2-EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Honestly a h2b bulks was my first thought, but I dont like the downsides to it (the balance shafts, frame clearance, engine angle) then I considered the big boy single cam f23a but again the install details weren't to my liking. So I settled on a type r b series until I read about new ways of doing the k swap without cutting the chassis. Plus doing a k gives a reason to change out everything to new pieces.
i feel a 5 lug thug coming! haha idk why but i think your onto something..if your gonna do K series why not do the 5 lug? hey you said your gonna change everything to new pieces:lol:

eddiev23

your ride is sooo clean bro i read ur last build too thats messed up ur eg got stolen, but im tuned in to see how shes gonna turn out.....

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Got my tires. Still searching for a few odds and ends like a gauge cluster, shift knob, and other little things to make me feel at home in the hatch. Time to put away for the suspension and getting these wheel wells rolled just right.

Discount Tire doing their thing (under my hawk-like surveillance with my cam) lol

discount tire doing their thing for my wheels by ks.childstar, on Flickr

Saw a pic online like this so i tried to copy the photo style lol. Shouldn't have shot it hand held, oh well.

Yokohama S drive 205/50/15 by ks.childstar, on Flickr

Wheels and tires finally by ks.childstar, on Flickr

Not insanely wide and that's just what i wanted

Also did some more cleaning, still a bit more to go. Here's a before and in the process of what i've been touching up.

omg the dirt! by ks.childstar, on Flickr

work in progress by ks.childstar, on Flickr

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
If you thing your drums were dirty you should see mine, and my bay! I'd love to send my car to you for a cleaning.

Those wheels look great on your car.

95excommuter

5+ Year Member
Thoughs wheel look sweet, once you loose the gap in the wheel well its gunna look even better, are you planning on some new control arms, if so, what brand do you like, me personaly I'm lookin at the skunk2, I don't know if they are really any different then other brands, but I like how they look.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Man, this thing is gonna look so good when dropped.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thoughs wheel look sweet, once you loose the gap in the wheel well its gunna look even better, are you planning on some new control arms, if so, what brand do you like, me personaly I'm lookin at the skunk2, I don't know if they are really any different then other brands, but I like how they look.
yeah I plan on changing the control arms. I'm debating between the function 7 set and the blackworks set. They both use a similar design and bushing and have the provisions for a sway bar. I dont want the function 7 arms with the spherical bearings because I dont like the idea of my suspension having a bit of flex.

The different brands of lower control arms separate themselves by design (how airflow passes through them), weight, sway bar provisions, and bushings. Bushings are usually the biggest issue. Some tear easily or quickly.