cold air intake in the winter??

DAF

Zinc Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok ive heard that if u keep ur aftermarket coldair intake in the winter ur valves will freeze and start knocking......... im pretty sure ive witnessed it too but is it 100% fact cuz a friend threw away his stock airbox like an idiot and its already been fukin cold out an we already hear knocking LMAO he has a d16
this is quite funny acutally. I know it can get cold in Canada, but do you realize how cold it needs to get to damage those parts? Or even how fast of a temp change taht would be needed? Those valves are set up to stand crazy heat, and metal can handle crazy cold before getting brittle.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your buddy is getting confused...

the only danger with cold air is usually when people run massive uncapped headers, usually on big v8's ... if its cold enough outside when you shut down the warm engine the headers will cool quickly allowing cold air up the pipes and against the hot exhaust valve... one side gets cold air and the other stays warm, and you can sometimes warp the valves

but thats not a problem with the intake side because you still have a nice hot intake manifold warming the air up...
Hmmmm.....:???: Never heard that before. Seems vaguely plausible but unlikely. At least anywhere in the lower 48 states. I think that by the time the air is cold enough to warp a hot exhaust valve, you are going to have a difficult ass time just getting your car to start. Oil thicker than tar,weakened battery, any moisture in the fuel system will be frozen into ice crystals....etc... A 50/50 mixture of Etylene Glycol and water only provides freezing protection down to -34° F Seems like it would have to be at least that cold if not colder to flash freeze and warp an exhaust valve.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yep I had my CAI last winter. No problems at all. I even drove through unplowed roads where I'm sure the filter met snow at some point. All's good though. I'm set for this winter now. Oh and I've had an Air-bypass valve just incase....

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Nitrous pretty much is as cold as most intake charges get, but I don't know anything cold enough to freeze metal, especially cold air. There are apparantly some dumb bastards around you.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nitrous pretty much is as cold as most intake charges get, but I don't know anything cold enough to freeze metal, especially cold air. There are apparantly some dumb bastards around you.
in all honesty.. i do NOT think that its the cold per say.. i think that it is the rapid change from hot to cold.. making metal VERY hot and then just putting it in cool water will change its properties from that same metal that is allowed to slowly cool.. and its not even really a matter of "how cold" its more of a matter of VERY hot to NOT hot quickly...

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah, but we're not talking of forging his valves, just intake temps.

ashley1728

5+ Year Member
cold air makes your engine run better and more efficiently... if your friends car is knocking (mine is too and it was BEFORE i even bought the cia) then they should get it checked out.. its not likely the cia... it is something else.. cold air wont harm your engine... it could even be sticky valves or lifters, who knows eh..

immajackuup

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cai suck i rather stick with sri.

i gotta have tq to get around town in the y7 motor.

guachi

5+ Year Member
As the other guy said these are the facts:

CAI (Cold Air Intake) wont hurt your car.... its actually not cold anyways... Why? cause there are water lines coming from the radiator that go into the throttle body and go also into the intake manifold, so your car was designed to not freeze during winter... get it? the coolant gets hot cause it goes inside the engine and then this hot fluid circulates through the intake manifold and throttle body, this makes the incoming cold air warm up, so it isnt cold unless you bypass those water lines.... dont worry be happy!!

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
cold air makes your engine run better and more efficiently... if your friends car is knocking (mine is too and it was BEFORE i even bought the cia) then they should get it checked out.. its not likely the cia... it is something else.. cold air wont harm your engine... it could even be sticky valves or lifters, who knows eh..
Did you seriously revive a year old thread...

Jayden08

5+ Year Member
i agree with genuine roller...... i never heard of a having a cold air in the winter making a car knock... maybe ur car is losing oil somewhere or has low oil thats the only way a car would start knocking....

hardcore97

Hard Core
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you bought the CIA? most of cost a pretty penny...

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This thread is old as s**t! Cold air + Intake = COLD AIR INTAKE (CAI) DING DING WTF!?!

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Actually, they call it a cold air intake because the piping is longer and extends down into the fender area / front bumper essentially pulling in cooler air as opposed to a short ram intake that pulls in "hot air" from the engine bay.

andrewmrtnsn

5+ Year Member
The reason why COLD AIR is better is because it is less dense....meaning that you can get more air into each cylinder. More air packed in there will result in a bigger and more powerful explosion, resulting in more power. If its right around freezing, I'll let my car warm up for a lil bit...3-5 minutes before driving or if i have to be in a hurry, i'll drive it very slow, shifting at low rpm's.

Cold air will not hurt an engine. It will help it run better more than anything.
whoa whoa whoa.. cold air is more dense. thus is how you get "more" air into the cylinder. the valve stays open for the same length no matter wut. so if it were less dense wouldnt you get less air into the cylinder?

sajin

5+ Year Member
Since we are on the subject of CAIs, should I replace the filter from the cheap booboo one I bought from ebay with one from like Autozone or something?

guachi

5+ Year Member
damn this thread is way old... cant someboy close it? mugenkid close the thread man!! u good at that...