how many of you would literally build your own house/home from scratch?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
In other news ,i wanna build me a log cabin type house in about 5 years . Always something iv wanted.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
My co-worker gutted and stripped his whole house with the intention of doing most of it himself. His dad is an architect so planning wasn't an issue. Long story short, he still was working his 40hr/wk job and didn't have time to do it, so he ended up paying people to do it all. I think its a good idea to do it yourself if you have the capabilities but I don't know how someone would have the time.

....and then finished it with inferior products... no offense, i just do not believe it was finished proper. we could get in an argument about this but there is no sense... agree to disagree.
How can you tell that he used inferior products?

Last edited by a moderator:

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How can you tell that he used inferior products?
it is my line of work, to know quality craftsmanship and sub. just like knowing replica parts... case in point, how much of the new material is made in the USA? bet its less than 2\%

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
In other news ,i wanna build me a log cabin type house in about 5 years . Always something iv wanted.
You can buy them. They are like shop builder companys who have all the materials pretty much a kit house

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can buy them. They are like shop builder companys who have all the materials pretty much a kit house
yup, and in my area they have the super imaginative name of lincoln log homes

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
it is my line of work, to know quality craftsmanship and sub. just like knowing replica parts... case in point, how much of the new material is made in the USA? bet its less than 2\%
Mist material is not made in USA anyways does not say anything about quality. USA does not out source by the way it's called intercoastal I believe. Outsourcing is still remaing inside the USA. Taking business class this semester found that interesting now listen to politicalgarbage about outsourcing.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its called outsourcing when the company is an american based company, but their product comes from overseas.... and we make EVERYTHING needed to build a house here in the USA.... there are regulations that we have to follow to manufacture here in the states, thus making the quality better. yes there are still grades of quality, but even our crappy stuff out classes imported china made s***. now yes not everything out of the states is crap but i can tell you he did not put high end stuff in that house.

http://madeinusaforever.com/toptenreasons.html

simple bullet points to illustrate my point. think about how china has an estimated life expectancy of 5.5 years LESS than what it was just a decade ago while the rest of the world has and ELEVATED life expectancy...

http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wood-market-trends/woodworking-industry-news/production-woodworking-news/Lumber-Liquidators-Stock-Drops-on-Formaldehyde-Report-212864791.html

a china manufactured hardwood company adds formaldehyde to wood, that causes cancer btw.... THAT is why you should buy quality american stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

simple bullet points to illustrate my point. think about how china has an estimated life expectancy of 5.5 years LESS than what it was just a decade ago while the rest of the world has and ELEVATED life expectancy...

http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wood-market-trends/woodworking-industry-news/production-woodworking-news/Lumber-Liquidators-Stock-Drops-on-Formaldehyde-Report-212864791.html

a china manufactured hardwood company adds formaldehyde to wood, that causes cancer btw.... THAT is why you should buy quality american stuff.
Yellawood ;)

And I'm not talking about John's penis :lol:

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I would if I could. I am a perfectionist and I hate shitty quality work.

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
:haha: knowing rotas from volks is a far cry from looking at an exterior photo of a home and saying inferior products were used.

OneFastGSR

Registered VIP
I've built my own house before back in middle school, Back in the playstation 2 days on the sims my nigga

sleeper si

Registered VIP
its called outsourcing when the company is an american based company, but their product comes from overseas.... and we make EVERYTHING needed to build a house here in the USA.... there are regulations that we have to follow to manufacture here in the states, thus making the quality better. yes there are still grades of quality, but even our crappy stuff out classes imported china made s***. now yes not everything out of the states is crap but i can tell you he did not put high end stuff in that house.

Well i don't have much of a choice but to use made in china products, labour, etc...:oops:

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
Well i don't have much of a choice but to use made in china products, labour, etc...:oops:
Their are still plenty of products made in China with quality. Their are actually companies in the states that have products that use some Chinese parts in the assembly. You would never know since those products can then me labeled made in usa

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
....and then finished it with inferior products... no offense, i just do not believe it was finished proper. we could get in an argument about this but there is no sense... agree to disagree.
So replacing old broken s**t with lower-end materials is ruining communities? Sure, when you flip a house you aren't going to use top-notch everything but that doesn't mean you're leaving things worse than when you got there.

People who flip houses raise property values for everyone, plain and simple.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol you kids are clueless... do you know how often someone comes in says " these hardwood floors are old, lets replace them with laminate flooring" EVERY f**king TIME... do you know the value of original top nail 2 inch old growth oak? bet you dont, nor do you know that "updating" a home like that lowers the value. or that replacing something that is "outdated" with new trendy cheap plastics that will break also lowers the overall draw to true investors. but what do you expect from people who fix up econo box cars...

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
... hmmm... Some OT going on in here LOL

To the OP's question. Unless building houses was what i did for a living, no way would I build one for myself. Just because someone CAN, doesn't mean they SHOULD (in any "should I" type scenario IMO). If not simply because of time, the money spent to avoid the stress is worth it for me. The career path i've chosen has afforded me the option of paying someone else to do things I don't care/want to do on my own =) I understand that statement isn't to the point of the original question but there were things I wanted to do/didn't want to do when I was younger. Building a house to live in wasn't on that list. LOL

.. And to go off topic with everyone else, I wouldn't mind flipping or living in a flipped house. I find it interesting. I will probably never do it myself, but i LOVE watching the shows about it. True or fake, lame or awesome, I like watching people fail/succeed doing flips. Call it what you want, I have respect for people that make money doing things outside the box. (Meaning out side a typical "what do you want to be when you grow up" job).

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
lol you kids are clueless... do you know how often someone comes in says " these hardwood floors are old, lets replace them with laminate flooring" EVERY f***ING TIME... do you know the value of original top nail 2 inch old growth oak? bet you dont, nor do you know that "updating" a home like that lowers the value. or that replacing something that is "outdated" with new trendy cheap plastics that will break also lowers the overall draw to true investors. but what do you expect from people who fix up econo box cars...
Lol I fix a lot more than econo boxes so calm down. And plus I watch "This Old House" all the time so I pretty much know everything about how to fix up an old house and keep its value. ;)