i'm stumped.....any clues?

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Does the IACV have a 2P connector? If so, one wire transmits 12V from the main relay to the IACV and the other wire grounds on the ECU. Check that the power wire has 12V and that the ground wire has no short or open.
yeah it has a 2P connector. i'll check when i get home while the back-up is sitting out.... =)

RonJ

Banned
yeah i saw that on #22, and thought to myself "oh geez, i definetly eyeballed it! :D" so after my 3:30 class i'll go home, check the cam notches, and see if they line up, and then retake pictures of the crank. that one will be hard though, because theres no paint in the notches. they're just notches, so maybe i'll get some white out and fill in the notches for better contrast. who knows.

for the TDC with the crank, do i sight from TDC on the cam pulley? and if so, won't it be going at an angle
like this??

cam pulley\
\
\
\
V sight
I II I l II I notches?
^^
if so....the notches are here

The diagrams below show exactly what TDC1 should look like for the cam pulley and crank pulley. Turn the crank pulley COUNTERCLOCKWISE until the cam pulley is perfectly positioned at TDC1 (middle diagram). Then look down from the cam pulley area to see whether the crank pulley is perfectly positioned at TDC1 (last diagram). The crank pulley should have four notched marks that are arranged like this:

Unlike the diagram above, the pointer (viewed like the sight on a rifle) should point to the lone white mark, not the red mark in the group of three marks.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, on it! i'm at home, and i'll check real quick.
so if i have to retime it mechanically, how should i go about that?

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok....so i pulled the 7.5 fuse and left it, replaced it, and still had the 2 codes. the IAVC plug was unplugged....dumbass me.....but i plugged it back in and tried to start the car, but still the same thing.

so onto the timing. I lined up the notches on the cam pulley with the arrows on the sides of the timing belt area and then looked down the notch at the SINGLE line, and it was off (the notch was past the sight counterclockwise) by around an inch. thats gotta be significant.

so anyway, i took a pic, and i'll try to find the right cord at home to host it.

but i looked down the sight from the side of the cam pulley area, cuz the motormount is in the way. so thats what i got.

=) how's that for diagnostics?

RonJ

Banned
I lined up the notches on the cam pulley with the arrows on the sides of the timing belt area and then looked down the notch at the SINGLE line, and it was off (the notch was past the sight counterclockwise) by around an inch. thats gotta be significant. so anyway, i took a pic, and i'll try to find the right cord at home to host it. but i looked down the sight from the side of the cam pulley area, cuz the motormount is in the way. so thats what i got.

You may be off by one tooth on the timing belt, but I'll hold judgment until I see the clear pics.

=) how's that for diagnostics?

You are surely a transformed person.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hahahahah yes i am my good sir. so time to host some pics. lol
be ready

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yay yay yay
this is the original

then this is zoomed in and adjusted so you can see it better.

i think your right that i skipped a tooth. thats the only thing that would show why its off by so much.

RonJ

Banned
Can you also post the picture of the cam at TDC1?

Hmmm...not a night versus day answer.

I recommend that you hook up a timing gun, jump the service connector, and check where the ignition timing is set. This may be difficult with an idle problem. Warm the engine fully and have a buddy hold the throttle pedal in a position where the idle speed is normal when you check the timing.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok hold on, i'm gonna go grab a pic of it quick-like, and post it up.

i feel like it also skipped a tooth, so i'm just feeling like i'm going to have to eventually mechanically retime it.

how do i jump the connector? and check where the timing is seT? where is it "supposed" to be set?

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok here's the cam pulley. the scope of the camera isn't large enough to see the arrows on the housing.
but there lined up.

RonJ

Banned
how do i jump the connector? and check where the timing is seT? where is it "supposed" to be set?
Before you do anything more with the mechanical timing, warm the engine up and turn it off, hook up the timing light, jump the service connector (same as pulling CEL codes), and check the ignition timing (below). Have a buddy hold the idle speed at what you think would be spec when warm. How far off is the pointer from the red mark?

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How far off is the pointer from the red mark?

What red mark are you talking about? Do you mean on the crank pulley?

RonJ

Banned
How far off is the pointer from the red mark?

What red mark are you talking about? Do you mean on the crank pulley?
Read the diagram carefully. You will see reference to RED. The red mark on the crank pulley is used for setting the ignition timing. The lone white mark is used to set the mechanical timing.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, ignition timing doesn't seem to tough at all. i'll jump on getting my hands on a timing light. we'll see what happens then and go from there. i think i'll be able to get one tomorrow, thankfully its the weekend and i can source one from my friends dad.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Read the diagram carefully. You will see reference to RED. The red mark on the crank pulley is used for setting the ignition timing. The lone white mark is used to set the mechanical timing.
ah ha....ok re-reading it now.