i'm stumped.....any clues?

Finnish~Racer

The ONLY Finnish-Canadian
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok so i've been trying to start up my car after it sitting since July of last summer and i can't get combustion!
its a 96 ex with a d15b swap into it.

the battery is fully charged, all fuses fine, lines are fine....

one bolt on the starter cylinder is broken off where the large cylinder meets the plate before the tranny casing. i am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

i checked the dizzy and there wasn't anything noticably wrong with it. The plugs are white but two smell like gas. I'm also not sure of the plug wire order on the dizzy cap.

when i try to turn the car over, it sputters and then then struggles....

the pump is also working properly.

any help"? clues? things i could check?

RonJ

Banned
As mentioned, check for CEL codes. Then check for spark at all four plugs -- click spark link in my signature.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i'd check for CEL codes, but i have no reader and cant drive it to the local autozone.... :(

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so i was super dumb by not thinking the fuel pump wasn't pumping, but i checked the fuse anyway.....and 13 was BLOWN to peices! :D so i replaced it and the car started!!!! WOOO!!!!

then it sputterd after a bit and died right out. i tried firing it up again and it backfired HARDCORE and i stopped trying.....could it be air, alot of air, in the fuel line? i know i can breathe it above the filter, and i will....

but any other hints?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont know if its been mentioned or not but i would check the codes....

charlie brown

smokey
Registered VIP
hey, last july is a long time.......BAD GAS is my would be my next check, after the fuse and if it died after running. pop the fuel door and cap and sniff the tank. should smell like gas, not stove kerosine. but let us know. and the "sniff" test isnt how itshould be done.. just replace your gasoline and see what happens

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
bad gas is what i was thinking also

Ek4C707

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You normaly don't use gas that been sitting for too long. My teacher told me something Like there is winter and summer gas.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok well, i guessed right. there was air in the line. i purged it at the filter, and then ran it for a bit to check if the clutch worked, which was the problem that landed the car in the shop.
i ran, clutch worked....then i shut it off.

i tried to turn it on again, and i had the same problem again, but theres no air, the fuse is fine.....what else could it be? and i havent checked the codes, cuz the rest of the car got jacked up by ther previous owner. lol

RonJ

Banned
Why even make a thread if all you want to do is guess what the problem might be??? You learn nothing and people waste their time throwing random guesses at you. Seriously, you need to learn how to troubleshoot. When you are ready to do that, then make a real tech thread.

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, i'm sorry Ron.
i used your CEL number thread and found that the CEL code was number 14. The IAC (EACV)....idle air control valve....what should i do from here?

the car is sputtering like a mugg and backfiring, theres a leak of coolant from the thermostat housing (on the side closest to the intake manifold, so i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. and the exhaust isnt bolted up.

otherwise, everything else is in mechanical working order.

i hope this is more of diagnostic help instead of guessing like i'm prone to. :D

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
If you can get it running, get to wherever the exhaust outlet is (since you said it isnt bolted up) and see if you smell gas.

On a side note....what do you mean by the exhaust isnt bolted up? Which part of it isnt bolted up?

Finnish~Racer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, well when i was stupid and not caring about name brand, i bought an ebay resonator.
i bought a DC sports 4-1 header and then dropped it in, and when trying to bolt it up, theres a 2" gap between the resonator and end of the header downpipe.
thats why it can't bolt up. (also the exhaust systerm is an ebay OBX Forza Tuning Cat-back.)

and you can smell gas.....but 'll try it again and see if it smells.

RonJ

Banned
Is the current problem that the engine runs but misfires and backfires? If so, check whether there is bright white spark at all four plugs. For the spark test, follow directions at the Spark link in my signature, and also remove fuse 13 so that the engine won't run. Have you already inspected the distributor cap and rotor?

If spark is fine, then check the mechanical timing to see whether the timing belt skipped a tooth.

If the mechanical timing is fine, compression test the cylinders.

Code 14 would not cause the problem you are having.