Is JDM the new Rice?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i really think in the context of this discusion you are clear as to if you are talking ebay copies OR real actual jdm parts.... because honestly a) i see cars with things that are similar to mine but i never really see a car that looks a LOT like mine...not a lot of people will pay $500 for headlights.. b)i cant see anything "rice" about buying name brand high quality parts....

i have many "jdm" things.. but my car is EXTREMELY functional...

Last edited:

silver booolet

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the coolest thing after JDM will be driving butt naked... WTF

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i really think in the cotext of this discusion you are clear as to if you are talking ebay copies OR real actual jdm parts.... because honestly a) i see cars with things that are similar to mine but i never really see a car that looks a LOT like mine...not a lot of people will pay $500 for headlights.. b)i cant see anything "rice" about buying name brand high quality parts....

i have many "jdm" things.. but my car is EXTREMELY functional...
'rice" isnt buyinh name brand high qulity parts, i think we can all agree on that.
i dont get your last statement. why would it NOT be fucntional?

i condiser ricers people that are uneducated.
thats why their cars end up looking craptacular.

oh, and how did you get your car to be on the top banner?

ryantrevors

5+ Year Member
ok. so we've succeeded in identifying the difference between JDM and rice. JDM and Rice as adjectives, though. Adjectives to describe a certain way of tuning and car building.

jesus. we got so far off topic i dont even know where we started.

obviously the real JDM that reccognized where the ricer trend was going and got out of it are the ones that are going to be ahead of the game when JDM becomes trendy. which we've already started going into. So my question, which started this whole thread, is what direction will you go in when it comes time to find something new?

and this is a serious question that needs serious answers.

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok. so we've succeeded in identifying the difference between JDM and rice. JDM and Rice as adjectives, though. Adjectives to describe a certain way of tuning and car building.

jesus. we got so far off topic i dont even know where we started.

obviously the real JDM that reccognized where the ricer trend was going and got out of it are the ones that are going to be ahead of the game when JDM becomes trendy. which we've already started going into. So my question, which started this whole thread, is what direction will you go in when it comes time to find something new?

and this is a serious question that needs serious answers.
JDM will always exist, I dont' see how it could go anywhere being we drive Japanese cars. There's no way to predict where trends are going. Everything thats worthy becomes trendy at some point. What's next? I dunno Rally inspired civics?

Ls-HatchBoy

Honda Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i agree with C diddy, but all these things that were talking about is called a "trend". one new kid into imports sees it, thinks its cool and starts in on it too. so then the older guys that been in the game for longer try something new and it starts all over again, so just be aware and dont b***h. do what YOU like and stick with it f**k all the bullshit.

StanghaterCivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not talking about looks. im talking about when JDM becomes like rice and drifting because of some movie or something, the same thing will happen that happened the last two times.

when everyone thought a skyline was the coolest car ever and that paul walker could really drive like that and that drifting is as simple as e-braking and turning.

People never thought that....only ricers who think movies are real:lol: atleast i didnt anyways

panda

D-series soldier
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
rally inspired civic lol.. mine is going to be a rally inspired fwd civic :D.. honestly im building my civic to handle rough terrain with ease.. im going to keep the dohczc boost it.. then add on some nice things like tires,struts,spings, whole suspention. then imma slap some nice paint on that b***h and do the rest of what i want to do..

i think each civic on here is a individual civic one's personal outlook on how a car should be built.. i also think that if someone thinks your being "tacky" in your own project then they are cock ricer f**ks hating on your build.. aiight you have a primered body kit and it hasnt hit paint yet.. and your pimpin 18's on stock breaks lol.. so what.. it's your build it's your money you build it your way.. jdm is the same way.. so what your a dumbass buying parts like ashtrays for like 300$ it's your money and it puts your car in a sense of acomplishment. that is cool with me too.. but for the next big thing.. it's either going to be autocross, or something like jdm/show meets usda/tuner kinda thing.. putting the westwing body kit with the jdm s**t on there with some nice turbo's and s**t.. that would prolly be the next big thing.. but with me.. imma have a 4wd-dohc zc - 30psi boost- and some bad ass suspention knocking down some sand hills going threw the bushes :D on 18's bitches lol..

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i know i didnt read the whole thread but maybe one day i will. im going to give my 2 cents here too, i agree with what the thread opener has said, seems like i think just like them. well i myself dont hate JDM but it can be overplayed, so can cars with bodykits. i dont think anything is rice until the driver of the car says crap about someone elses car... in a way that is rice. i think that for an everyday driver i would do the whole JDM thing but i wouldnt mind doing a show car. because well... a show car takes WAY more money to build than rather just a jdm looking car. im not hating the JDM style though.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ONLY MY OPINION:

RICE(Y)= Really Isn't Cash Expensive (Yet)

JDM= Just Dependable Machinery

the coolest thing after JDM will be driving butt naked... WTF
X100 for JDM untill it goes out of style then I'll be riding bareback, but hopefully never dirty

o3civic_si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So i'm sad to say it. But It seems to me that JDM styling has become tuner-commercialized to an extreme.

Dont know what i mean?

Lets look back.

Street Racing was cool. Everyone thought so. It was wicked underground and badass.
Enter: Fast and the Furious. Now it's hella mainstream and everyone is crazy riced-out with altezza taillights and coffee can mufflers.

Drifting was cool. None of the ricers were up on it. It was new. It was fresh. It was different.
Enter: Tokyo Drift. Same situation. Everyone is drifting everything from Ford Tauruses to Mazda MPVs anywhere they can pull an e-brake and slide a little.

What are the real hardcore tuner guys to do? JDM.
What the F is that?!?!?!?!?!!?
Noone really knows. So it's cool now. Underground. Whatever.
Clean. White. Red-Pinstripes. b swaps and turbos instead of nitrous.
Awesome.

Now, i drive around and see:

EF Sedans with a chubby white kid with a backwards hat behind the wheel. and its not because he cant afford an EG. No body kit. lowered. CF hood. gold wheels.

Makes me wanna shoot someone.

What the f**k is next after JDM?
As long as there car looks clean and the person driving it doesnt think his car is the fastest in the world. People just need to start taking pride in there vehicles and not throw them around and race everyone on their way to the grocery store.

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As long as there car looks clean and the person driving it doesnt think his car is the fastest in the world. People just need to start taking pride in there vehicles and not throw them around and race everyone on their way to the grocery store.
So true. There are these kids in my neighborhood with a 7th gen (nice looking car with a drop and and exhasut) and they race everyone from other classmates to grandma's. I just watch and laugh when they come screeching down the street.

Rice is more than a car, it is an attitude.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
woooooooooooo RICE FOR THE WIN!!!..