***Knowledge Test***

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a bad crank position sensor could perhaps tell the ECU its not cranking.. so therefor not produce a spark or let fuel by... its basically like the car is in standby mode... even though its cranking over.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
his profile says 97 EX

RonJ

Banned
a bad crank position sensor could perhaps tell the ECU its not cranking.. so therefor not produce a spark or let fuel by... its basically like the car is in standby mode... even though its cranking over.
Correct Chris. You were previously incorrectly assigning the crucial function of the crank sensor to the coil and ICM.

-------------------------------

You are a double award winner on this question.

---------------------------------

I'll now take a break again from the thread with the hope that others will now step up with new questions.

Last edited:

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i tell you... i think we need more advertisement... i vote to move this thread to off topic for a week or so.. maybe get some more traffic..

gebs06

Klub EJ
Registered VIP
most def. Yo Chris i was just looking at that in my Haynes Book. it was either that the TDC or the CYP sensor. damn congrats.....

gebs06

Klub EJ
Registered VIP
so.... RONJ it says you have to replace the distributor unit as a whole so he has to buy a new distributor Assembly...

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yup. Though he didn't specify the year because it's been the same on any Civic for quire a while, I'm assuming.

Congrats =)

Now we need another question.
yea every single cam civic from 88-2000 had the same parts in the distributor. although not always the same part numbers... but they had the same function... the CPS sensor has always been in the distributor on a single cam...

the DOHC ZC is the only engine that has an external CPS.

and it was only the OBD0 engine at that..

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so.... RONJ it says you have to replace the distributor unit as a whole so he has to buy a new distributor Assembly...
yea distributor located CPS units involve changing the whole thing... they are not servicable

RonJ

Banned
If you know what you are doing and have access to the parts, one can replace distributor sensors. They are simple resistors.

gebs06

Klub EJ
Registered VIP
oh.....damn you guys are teaching me mechanics way better than UTI....lol keep the ? coming till then i'm out.....

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you know what you are doing and have access to the parts, one can replace distributor sensors. They are simple resistors.
its cheaper to fix it yourself yes... but... its hit or miss... if you dont have the right parts... which i dont think the CPS can be ordered... but you also need the proper tools to get it apart that far...

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh.....damn you guys are teaching me mechanics way better than UTI....lol keep the ? coming till then i'm out.....
dude this is just hondas.... lol .... i can get into some harder questions not involving hondas if youd like... lol

i got one now im stumped on... but it involves a 1990 dodge van... ill post it if you guys want to give it a shot..

gebs06

Klub EJ
Registered VIP
y not. a diagnose to me is a diagnose......

i was just recollecting how fun it was to do the diagnose this problem. than just start replacing parts on your car. THAT SUCKS!

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
but sometimes it sucks that you know there is a problem... and you know what the problem is... but you are hesitant to replace it till you do your tests... then your tests lead you nowhere... so your stuck...

then you decide you just change the part you suspected.. and it works like a charm. 2 days of testing that didnt need to be done if you just followed your gut from the beggining... thats what gets me

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive changed parts before and it turned out to be a leak and not a faulty part... and i was stumped for days on it...

RonJ

Banned
but sometimes it sucks that you know there is a problem... and you know what the problem is... but you are hesitant to replace it till you do your tests... then your tests lead you nowhere... so your stuck...

then you decide you just change the part you suspected.. and it works like a charm. 2 days of testing that didnt need to be done if you just followed your gut from the beggining... thats what gets me
Never underestimate the power of testing. I think more problems are missed because the testing is not done correctly.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok

the ride... 1990 dodge B150 with a 3.9L V6... the B150 is the 1/2 ton dodge ram van... so its not a minivan.. this is the fullsize deal..

the problem... NO CHARGE....

parts replaced.. alternator... twice.. in one day. both alternators tested good from the parts store they came from. we hook them up.. and no charge still

battery has not been changed becasue if it starts.. it runs on the battery... a bad battery would not cause it to not start with a battery charger. it just wont hold a charge..

we have done some preliminary tests... we first diagnosed to be the alternator because with the car running... if we unhook the battery... it will die immediatly.. in MAJORITY of cars these days... this immediatly means that the alternator is bad.. or there is a bad connection..

we unhook the MAIN BATTERY wire coming off the alternator and can start the engine... it will run off the battery alone.. and the post on the alternator will show 11V and not the usual 14-17 volts. even though it shows 15V in the store when tested.

this alternator has an external voltage regulator that forums say is in the PCM... we have not tested that..

question is... with a new alternator.. why is there still no charge? keep in mind that you can still operate a car without a battery. although this pattery is hooked up to the batttery charger all the time to maintain lvls so we can start it. after that its turned off and the car is running solely on the battery. when checking voltage on the battery it reads 11.2V while the car is running.