***Knowledge Test***

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i know my question is al f**ked up... im really tired... so maybe ron or someone would like to reword it to make sense..

gebs06

Klub EJ
Registered VIP
So let me get this right when the alternator iz properly hooked-up w. the battery cable hook-up to the alternator the van will not start. however when the battery charger is hooked up to the battery the van starts and runs fine on the battery alone.....but you say the alternator is perfectly fine from testing it for voltage....

RonJ

Banned
1) Never disconnect a battery when the engine is running. Voltage spikes may be produced that can destroy delicate electrical components.

2) Put a good battery in the van.

3) Post a circuit diagram for the charge system of this specific van.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So let me get this right when the alternator iz properly hooked-up w. the battery cable hook-up to the alternator the van will not start. however when the battery charger is hooked up to the battery the van starts and runs fine on the battery alone.....but you say the alternator is perfectly fine from testing it for voltage....
no. not quite...

now that im rested.. ill try and explain better..

if everything is hooked up... then the van will start... but the alternator will not put out voltage high enough to sustain the run. so the battery drains. the only purpose of the charger is to start the van....becasue of low voltage. its almost as if the alternator needs to be turned on.

as of this morning.. we have noticed that someone put on an external voltage regulator that bypasses the one in the PCM...

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
as of this morning.. we have noticed that someone put on an external voltage regulator that bypasses the one in the PCM...
That seems like it might be the issue... perhaps the regulator in the PCM went bad so the owner used an external regulator, which also failed. Have you tried removing the external regulator or replacing it with a known good one?

You said the alternator still charges, but at 11 V? I think that rules out a bad ground or connection.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That seems like it might be the issue... perhaps the regulator in the PCM went bad so the owner used an external regulator, which also failed. Have you tried removing the external regulator or replacing it with a known good one?

You said the alternator still charges, but at 11 V? I think that rules out a bad ground or connection.
well you win becasue it was the regulator.

we are so fed up with this van... its been here almost a week.. .and its broken again

the charging system is straightened out...finally. but now there is a steering gear problem...

we replaced the gear box when we first got it along with fixing the charging.. we went to test drive it... and ... the new gear box broke!

so fed up

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well you win becasue it was the regulator.

we are so fed up with this van... its been here almost a week.. .and its broken again

the charging system is straightened out...finally. but now there is a steering gear problem...

we replaced the gear box when we first got it along with fixing the charging.. we went to test drive it... and ... the new gear box broke!

so fed up
Wow, that's a pain. Hmm, that thing has a worm and sector gearbox on it, right? There's only a few options that I can see:

1. The new gearbox you got was bad

2. One of the supporting parts is bad, causing the gearbox to break again, i. e pitman arm, idler arm.

3. Perhaps severely bad alignment? I don't think this is likely, and maybe not even possible to cause the problem, but it's a related thing I can think to check.

4. You REALLY romped on it during the test drive. ;)

Hopefully you had a warranty on the gearbox?

RonJ

Banned
Wow, that's a pain. Hmm, that thing has a worm and sector gearbox on it, right? There's only a few options that I can see:

1. The new gearbox you got was bad

2. One of the supporting parts is bad, causing the gearbox to break again, i. e pitman arm, idler arm.

3. Perhaps severely bad alignment? I don't think this is likely, and maybe not even possible to cause the problem, but it's a related thing I can think to check.

4. You REALLY romped on it during the test drive. ;)

Hopefully you had a warranty on the gearbox?
Or bad installation.=)

RonJ

Banned
New question

Knowing how to properly test fuses is a critical skill for anyone who works on their car. The best way to do this is to measure voltage individually at each of the two small metal tabs (service ports) located at the top of the installed fuse.

Answer all of the following questions to win Knowledge Test:

1) Provide a clear explanation for what it means when both tabs have battery voltage.

2) Provide a clear explanation for what it means when only one tab has battery voltage.

3) Provide at least four separate specific explanations for why neither tab would have battery voltage.

No winner will be declared until one member answers all of the questions correctly.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
New question

Knowing how to properly test fuses is a critical skill for anyone who works on their car. The best way to do this is to measure voltage individually at each of the two small metal tabs (service ports) located at the top of the installed fuse.

Answer all of the following questions to win Knowledge Test:

1) Provide a clear explanation for what it means when both tabs have battery voltage.

2) Provide a clear explanation for what it means when only one tab has battery voltage.

3) Provide at least four separate specific explanations for why neither tab would have battery voltage.

No winner will be declared until one member answers all of the questions correctly.
1 .. when both tabs have voltage. this means that the fuse is not blown and there is power moving through it.

2... if only one tab has voltage... then this means the fuse is blown. and a short may be the culprit. it could just be a overload of the fuse. but the fuse is blown..

if no tabs have voltage.. this could be as simple as the accesory not being on... or a short is present elsewhere in the system, or another fuse link further down the line is blown.

most fuse boxes provide general power to the fuse box to power everything... so if there is no voltage to just one fuse at all... then there is a short in the fuse box..

RonJ

Banned
2) or a short is present elsewhere in the system
3) another fuse link further down the line is blown.
4) a short in the fuse box..
Good job Chris, but:

(2) and (4) are potentially overlapping answers. Please distinguish.

(3) Please be more specific about the location of the short.

Also, you only mention shorts as possible causes. What else could explain the lack of voltage?

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good job Chris, but:

(2) and (4) are potentially overlapping answers. Please distinguish.

(3) Please be more specific about the location of the short.

Also, you only mention shorts as possible causes. What else could explain the lack of voltage?
there may be a short in the actuall accesory.

another thing that could be lack of voltage... a relay... or a break in the wire

CivicHX

very good questions and answers.
The first question in this thread was one I am interested in. I knew of no real reason for coolant to flow through the IACV, or Throttle body either for that matter other then to keep from freezing.

RonJ

Banned
there may be a short in the actuall accesory.

Incorrect. This would lead to condition 2 (voltage at only one fuse test tab) not condition 3 (voltage at neither test tab) in my original question. But your answers below address correct possibilities.

another thing that could be lack of voltage... a relay... or a break in the wire

Absolutely correct.
Chris wins again. Congratulations.

lencoo12

The question is about the IACV not the FITV. The FITV information was just background. Give it a shot.

The idle control valve controls the cars idle untill the thermostat opens up to allow the hotter coolant to flow.
When the hotter coolant finally reaches the IAVC, the idle returns to normal because it has reached normal operating tempurature. final answer

SnoFox4

Most Boring Car
The idle control valve controls the cars idle untill the thermostat opens up to allow the hotter coolant to flow.
When the hotter coolant finally reaches the IAVC, the idle returns to normal because it has reached normal operating tempurature. final answer
Answering an age old question that was already answered.. THREAD REVIVAL.