Milano red EJ1 w/ b16a2 swap, auto to manual conversion, plus extras!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Im in minot. But we work all over.

We have company supplied housing and a pretty decent per diem so its not too awful bad.

Still shítty ass north dakota though.

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!
Lived in Minot for many years. Hated every day of it. The place I used to live in was flooded out last year. 10th st NE I think it was?? ... Small world.

Anyway, hoping to post up some post wet sand/buff pics today! We'll see. Got some other work to do today.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya out five bedroom house is in the flood zone.

Crazy s**t

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I NEED HELP! I can't for the life of me get these damn ball joints loose to drop the drive shaft (pass side). I've searched, found a good thread with details on honda tech, rented a tool... I'm pissed right now. Spent last night and now an hour or two today and haven't gotten any further. I've never had this much trouble before! Does anyone have some experience to share with me? I can't find anything to put pressure on the LCA so that when I hit it with the hammer as the DIY says, it will pop out. FMLLLLLL

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
I NEED HELP! I can't for the life of me get these damn ball joints loose to drop the drive shaft (pass side). I've searched, found a good thread with details on honda tech, rented a tool... I'm pissed right now. Spent last night and now an hour or two today and haven't gotten any further. I've never had this much trouble before! Does anyone have some experience to share with me? I can't find anything to put pressure on the LCA so that when I hit it with the hammer as the DIY says, it will pop out. FMLLLLLL
Pound down on the arm with a hammer should pop off as there is nothing holding it

Sent from tapataalllkk

K00PA

Registered VIP
Might want to use a dead blow cause it has better impact then a hammer does...drop the Castle nut on the UCA, turn the spindle to either side is more comfortable to you and take a good wack at the cast iron that centers the ball joint, or if you just plan on replacing the ball joints then hit the bottom of the ball joint and it should break free, if not grab some anti-seize and spray it on and let it sit for 30 min or so and take another wack at it!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
i'll have to take a picture of what i'm working with. There just isn't any good place to smack it. Or a good angle. I wasn't planning on replacing the joint but it appears it's already been previously abused so I helped it along. I've never replaced a ball join before so I guess it's time I learn.

So aggravated right now. Does anyone know if I just rip (take the ring off) the boot, can I pop the knuckle out and remove it that way? I've done that before on a Toyota i had the same problem with. I'm using the 99si trans and drive shafts so i won't be reusing these.

K00PA

Registered VIP
i'll have to take a picture of what i'm working with. There just isn't any good place to smack it. Or a good angle. I wasn't planning on replacing the joint but it appears it's already been previously abused so I helped it along. I've never replaced a ball join before so I guess it's time I learn.

So aggravated right now. Does anyone know if I just rip (take the ring off) the boot, can I pop the knuckle out and remove it that way? I've done that before on a Toyota i had the same problem with. I'm using the 99si trans and drive shafts so i won't be reusing these.
Damn still?

Well changing ball joints is totally different! You will def need power tools, or a ball joint press to remove them! If you dont have any then find your nearest shop and take the entire spindle the and have them pressed out...

As far as your issue it must really be seized bad, sounds like OEM shafts you're dealing with! Correct? If so they probably never been change since the vehicles release date, sad to say lol but I see this all the time in the shop! Do you have a compressor? If so this is where an air chisel will come in hand! If not a very strong pry bar, anger, and patience will do the trick!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Well, my week isn't off to a good start as it seems. I've never wet sanded and buffed after a paint job before so... I dunno. Maybe one of you can tell me if this is correct.

Clear coat has been set for about 2 and half days in a paint booth at around 85 degrees. Wet sanded lightly with 1200. Let the paper sit in a bucket of water for an hour before hand (as suggested by the paint supply store). Then used a crap walmart buffer with fuzzy pad and some Meguiar's mirror glaze 2 fine-cut cleaner. I was told I should not wax for at least 2 months and that this method would bring out a nice mirror shine. I think I did it wrong cause it doesn't look like what I was expecting. Still some hair line scuffs in it from the paper I think. I may just re clear it and let a pro do the detail work.

Before:

Trunk. Did not touch this after i screwed up the bumper.

Bumper

Bumper

And After:

What do you guys think? I knew I should have left the detail work to the real pro's. I feel sick about the absolute crap work i've done this week. No motor pulled and now this. I don't have a lot of time on my hands and now I may need to respray a clear coat... Sucks! Not like it takes a ton of time but still... It's time I could have spent in my engine bay.

K00PA

Registered VIP
Pics dont give as much detail as you may see with your own eyes but from what I see looks like a good job for your first time IMO cause thats something I'm definitely not good at cause Ive never painted, lol

...but if you feel there's more room for improvement then have a professional take a swing at it!

How'd your ball joint issue come out last night? I was gonna check on you, but I fell asleep without hesitation

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I posted my last message on it right before I went to go pick up a pizza. Then when I got back, my neighbor was emptying a trash can we pour used oil in so I decided to give him a hand and call off my project for the night. I guess all together i've spent about 3 solid hours on this stupid ball joint and haven't gotten anywhere. Although most of that was spent just looking at it trying to figure out how I could put something over it and jack up the spindle pressing out the ball joint at the same time. I can't believe i'm still stuck on this. Now i'm being told I have to fly to deadhorse tomorrow (up on the north slope. Arctic ocean) and fix a helicopter that's tripping a breaker. So... Odds are good I won't be able to get back to this ball joint until Fri or maybe Sat morning.

Back onto your ideas though, I did rent a ball joint press from Oreilly but I don't think this is correct for my car. It even came with a honda attachment, but there is no way.. It's too damn big! I need something really skinny to fit in there... Don't I? Maybe i'm doing it wrong? Wouldn't surprise me after the week of failure I seem to be having.

K00PA

Registered VIP
Well what you can do is take a nut and washer and compress it to the ball joint until it fits tight. They dont give you enough attatchments or small enough attatchments should I say to take them out in those ental tools. Our ball joints are small compared to other vehicles, lol...but keep tightening it and it should pop out if its a manual crank press, or if its hydrolic then just pump it until it pops out!

K00PA

Registered VIP
Good Job! That ball joint looks like it gave you hell, lol

While you have it apart you might as well replace them too!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Good Job! That ball joint looks like it gave you hell, lol

While you have it apart you might as well replace them too!
Yeah, it did. :cry: But I owned his brother on the driver side in about 5 minutes!

Then I followed that up with this.

So now that I have all that done, I have a long list of stuff to do before putting the new motor in. First things first, K00P, how much do ball joints run for left and right 94 coupe's? Also, I failed at life again. What's the price on a throttle cable? I forget to detach it and pulled up the entire weight of the car with it from the cherry picker :x .. Though maybe that was included in my box of 99si goodies? I'll have to check. Any idea on if they're the same?

K00PA

Registered VIP
Yea you can use the same cable from the ek chassis its all plug and play! You'll just have to tune in your throttle cable but thats pretty much it!

If you want things brand new, I would suggest goin to www.inlinefour.com they have oem ball joints, or you can opt for extended ball joint like buddy club, blox, and spoon ;)

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Thanks for the link! At $50 a ball though i'll have to wait. Sucks cause all of my balls are blown out.

... lol

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Couldn't get much done in the last two days after the motor came out. Had to head up to Deadhorse to fix a down aircraft. If you watch Ice Road Truckers, this is where they finish at. I live where they start and have driven that road a couple times myself. Anyway, some pics...