Solar Orange Civic (96 EX Sedan)

Decipher

Registered VIP
He didn't want what I offered for a trade, but I'm working on getting the cash up, hopefully he still has it by then.

krooked32

read through your build a couple times just to check out the pics over and over haha. i love the color man. tuned in to see what happens with the CRX

Decipher

Registered VIP
were u get that from i got to get 1 !!!!
Not sure what exactly your referring to... can you be more specific?

read through your build a couple times just to check out the pics over and over haha. i love the color man. tuned in to see what happens with the CRX
Thanks a lot, bro. I'm beting that he'll sell it before I can get up the loot. I'm currently in the process of selling a few of my things. If I can save morethan what I need to do complete some necessary maintenance on the sedan, that'll be my budget for a shell... probably <$1000. I should be able to pick something in pretty good shape up for that though.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks a lot guys. I think eventually I'm going to end up with the 50/50s that have the brakes(red) on the bottom, and the turn/reverse(clear) on top.
I think you're making it too complicated, I like the regular red/clears but on this car I think the OEM tails with the amber corners would look the best, especially paired with the OEM amber sidemarkers.

CraigJamez42

Just read thru the whole thread. Alot of good info and nice pics. Your car is very clean and cant wait to see some power to it!! GLWB

Decipher

Registered VIP
Well, it's been a while. Just wanted to drop in with a small update. I was feeling spontaneous and decided to tear out my cruise control today. I can't even remember the last time I used it to be honest. I don't like using it, it puts me to sleep on long trips. Whatever, it's gone... I'm holding on to it just in case I ever decide to sell the car. I'm excited though... it's kind of contagious, ripping s*** out from under the hood... who needs A/C or powersteering!? Me, unfortunately. But it's not a bad first (or second) step in my ongoing mission to de-clutter/eventually(hopefully) tuck the bay.

Before:

After:

What will be taking up space in my attic:

Ok, it still looks like a rat's nest. I don't care.

Just got my check from the state of Virginia, for federal aid I received for school this semester... $600 of unanticipated tune-up cash!

Here's my list, tell me what you guys think:

Energy Suspension motor mount inserts
Gates timing belt kit
Felpro Head Gasket
StreetProTop End Gasket set (for after I clean my TB/AICV,EGR...plus I broke one of the grommets when I painted my valve cover)
NGK plugs and Wires
New oil pan gasket (Installing a steel oil pan that I've had laying around forever)
Trans fluid flush
power steering flush
Picking up a rear disc brake conversion
brake fluid flush

And... maybe with the money left over I'll be looking at a new muffler! Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Wow nice list, spend that money wisely my friend.
Trust me, I'd rather be sourcing together a turbo setup, but I'm in dire need of this stuff. I should come out with a good $200 left over, which could get me a nice snail and a few other f/i components if I play my cards right. But even then, it'll be a long road to boost. I've got the patience though.

95excommuter

5+ Year Member
Better to have everything in proper running condition before adding more power, so I say get the list done.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Better to have everything in proper running condition before adding more power, so I say get the list done.
Sadly, I agree. Some stuff can wait though. I might just do the inserts and while I have stuff taken apart, do the timing belt. That's only $140.

But seriously, any suggestions as to what muffler should I look into? I want more of a lower growl rather than the buzzy s**t.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you know...with 600 dollars your at a good chuck for an ls swap. you can find full swaps for around a grand to 1200.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Yea, I've toyed with the idea. This is why I'm looking for a shell. It takes time to do a swap, correctly... trial and error. And I need my car in running condition every day for work. It's just not possible for me to do any major powertrain modifications unless I get a beater to use for my job, or I get a shell to do the work to. Even if I could perform the swap over a weekend and have everything finished... I get it on the road the next day and it dies suddenly because of some stupid map, or some bad sensor that eludes me for weeks, that's my job.

That's part of the reason I love this car the way it is: It's just so reliable. I think my best bet is to keep it as is for now, until I can get it off the road and do it right and take my time. But I'm so temped.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Let me ask you this.... Does the motor really need that much "tune-up" maintenance? Or are you just doing it to make yourself feel better? Honestly, I don't do maintenance on my car unless it needs it. If a gasket isn't leaking, I won't bother going out of my way to replace it. If I were going to rebuild it for boost or something, then I would make an exception. But for a DD, I really don't see a point in dropping that much money for maintenance if you don't need it.

Energy Suspension mount inserts? Just wondering if you've ever been in a car that has motor mount inserts or full on "race" mounts. The entire car vibrates and it's a big difference from OEM mounts. Maybe you like it, I dunno. But again, I don't see a point unless you're racing the car. For a DD, seems pointless.

Not trying to rag on your wish list but it just doesn't make sense to me. But then again, I don't know what your intentions for this car are :lol:. DD, race/track, etc. I'd throw that money towards a swap. In the end, I think you'd be much happier.

Decipher

Registered VIP
Let me ask you this.... Does the motor really need that much "tune-up" maintenance? Or are you just doing it to make yourself feel better? Honestly, I don't do maintenance on my car unless it needs it. If a gasket isn't leaking, I won't bother going out of my way to replace it. If I were going to rebuild it for boost or something, then I would make an exception. But for a DD, I really don't see a point in dropping that much money for maintenance if you don't need it.

Energy Suspension mount inserts? Just wondering if you've ever been in a car that has motor mount inserts or full on "race" mounts. The entire car vibrates and it's a big difference from OEM mounts. Maybe you like it, I dunno. But again, I don't see a point unless you're racing the car. For a DD, seems pointless.

Not trying to rag on your wish list but it just doesn't make sense to me. But then again, I don't know what your intentions for this car are :lol:. DD, race/track, etc. I'd throw that money towards a swap. In the end, I think you'd be much happier.

The mount inserts are a necessity. If you have the front of my car up on jacks, grab one of the wheels and torque it... the entire motor rocks about 2" of play. Plus inserts are like $40, and they work well. My buddy just put a full set on his car, and it's(vibrations) really not that bad... not nearly as bad as full street or race mounts.

Yes, you're right: I would be much happier if I could perform a swap... especially to a motor with a chain instead of a belt. Belts scare me. I drive this car upwards of 100 miles a day and most of that is pretty hard since I'm rushing to make good tips. I'd rather spend the $80 now on a belt and tensioner (it's called preventative maintenance), then have the timing belt snap and cost me upwards of a couple thousand on the spot.

The oil pan and the other gaskets can wait. I was wanting to clean my TB, IAC and EGR to try to figure out this low idle I've been experiencing, but I think I just eliminated that problem yesterday. Ever since I pulled the Cruise Control my idle has been a steady and solid 900 rpms without fail. I think there might have been a vacuum leak somewhere in that system. So, I probably won't be tearing my IM apart now.

I agree with the old saying: if it 'aint broke don't fix it. I don't just go looking for things to spend money on. I'd really like to find a beater so I could park this thing and get to work on it. We'll see...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The mount inserts are a necessity. If you have the front of my car up on jacks, grab one of the wheels and torque it... the entire motor rocks about 2" of play. Plus inserts are like $40, and they work well. My buddy just put a full set on his car, and it's(vibrations) really not that bad... not nearly as bad as full street or race mounts.

Yes, you're right: I would be much happier if I could perform a swap... especially to a motor with a chain instead of a belt. Belts scare me. I drive this car upwards of 100 miles a day and most of that is pretty hard since I'm rushing to make good tips. I'd rather spend the $80 now on a belt and tensioner (it's called preventative maintenance), then have the timing belt snap and cost me upwards of a couple thousand on the spot.

The oil pan and the other gaskets can wait. I was wanting to clean my TB, IAC and EGR to try to figure out this low idle I've been experiencing, but I think I just eliminated that problem yesterday. Ever since I pulled the Cruise Control my idle has been a steady and solid 900 rpms without fail. I think there might have been a vacuum leak somewhere in that system. So, I probably won't be tearing my IM apart now.

I agree with the old saying, if it 'aint broke, don't fix it. I don't just go looking for things to spend money on. I'd really like to find a beater so I could park this thing and get to work on it. We'll see...
By the book, idle should be around 750. 900 sounds a bit high. I adjusted my idle to be around 900/1000 and I threw a CEL for over a year. I had no idea why I had it until I readjusted my idle back to where it was supposed to be. CEL went away and I've been good for a few months now.

There's nothing wrong with preventative maintenance. But sometimes it just seems excessive. First timing belt was done at 110k on my car, 2nd was done at around 212k. And I beat the absolute piss out of my car and drive it every day, all year. Actually my brother was harder on the car than I was (he's the only other owner of the car, before me).

Cobl18

Registered VIP
i just thought i would throw this out there about that turbo you were going to buy for 200 bucks? Godspeed products are a load of crap. i bought 3 things from them and all three of them broke or i had to return for a refund. The radiator i bought from them busted in a week due to a crap weld that busted, got another one and I'm in the process of saving up for a real radiator. The throttle body I got from them never fit and i had to do some custom fab to even make it kinda sorta work. they ended up sending me another throttle body and they sent me a b series engine throttle body instead of a d series for a replacement. I called them and basically said i want a refund because you cant even ship out the right parts. There stuff ALWAYS requires you to do some custom fab to it, ill post up a pic of my rad support i had to cut into just to make it work. Save your money and your valuable time and don't go with Godspeed. just my .02

Cobl18

Registered VIP
o lol by the way i forgot to say i subscribed to your build thread i love the car color and that its a sedan like mine! Great job so far!