stretching tires?

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive been reading around on some magazines and seen videos about stretching tires. Whats the purpose in doing it?

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So, whats the purpose in doing that? any benefits?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A local board actually has a thread about this going on.

here's what I took off it just now:

it was started in europe by people who wanted to run wider wheels

in europe the law states that the tire can not stick out past the fender, so people put stretched tires on wide wheels

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is that safe? cause, it seems as there would be alot of pressure on the sidewalls of the tires wouldnt it?

would doing so benefit in any type of handling? or purely show?

I understand for certain people to get wider rims for the ability to use wider tires of course , wider tires = more traction. but having wider rims and using smaller width tires dont make sense to me.

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think the main reason people do it now is so they can run super low offset rims and not have their tires rub the fender.

just google "stretched tires" and youll know what im talking about

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

looks kinda goofy to me

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is that safe? cause, it seems as there would be alot of pressure on the sidewalls of the tires wouldnt it?

would doing so benefit in any type of handling? or purely show?

I understand for certain people to get wider rims for the ability to use wider tires of course , wider tires = more traction. but having wider rims and using smaller width tires dont make sense to me.
It doesn't make sense because it's a style thing. It doesn't help handling, in fact it hurts it.

lownslow

5+ Year Member
its mostly a big thing on veedubs and euro look setups. they stretch the tires and stagger the rims. i personally have fallen into the group of people that think it looks pretty sweet. i dont believe there is any real benefit from it besides the ability to run low offsets and real deep dish rims as mentioned earlier. i never saw it done on a civic tho usually jettas and gtis

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AHH!!, Ok. Thanks, ive been having this question for the longest time cause im starting to see it come up in the modding community. now i know. thanks =)

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Where's longgrain when you need him lol

I thought I read somewhere that it is better for handling because you eliminate sidewall flex, I still would never do that on mine.

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Where's longgrain when you need him lol

I thought I read somewhere that it is better for handling because you eliminate sidewall flex, I still would never do that on mine.
Eliminating sidewall flex isn't as effective as increasing the contact patch.