D16Y8 N/A High Comp. Build

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You dont really need a hoist/lift to take out the old motor. Just unbolt the tranny, then pull the head/intake manifold off, then put a jack up under the oil pan, unbolt the block, and slowly lower the jack, and pull the jack out with the block on it. Thats how I pulled my old D16 when I didnt have a lift.

Putting it in can be done the same way (just reversed, obviously), but a lift is 100x easier. :lol:

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cool thanks. Today I went to discount and had to pay $95 for a set of pullers (but they refunded me everything once i returned it) and took popped the ball-joint upwards. I was able to take the drivers side axle out and now im gonna do the passenger side. Also, I wans't able to get a hoist today but to put it in, I'll definitely have one... Taking my old one from beneath will most likely be done just like that, from beneath... I'll let you guys know... Thanks for the help thus far.

1. What should I set the pressure on the FPR at?
2. The haynes manual gives me an idea of how to adjust timing but the skunk2 cam gear is adjustable, how do I adjust it? And I dont meant how to loosen the bolts and tighten them back, I mean, to which side do i turn it and how much?

Thanks!

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not sure on the FPR, but if your adjusting your cam timing, you'll definately want to do it on a dyno.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your stock, then 28-30ish should be fine. Go Canes!

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I finally got the engine in the car last night. Then today during the day I put both axles in, ECU in, cluster (a new one) in, bolted the s**t linkage, installed the a/c and a/c bracket, heards in, radiator in, started bolted...

Tomorro I'll attach the intake mani and all bs to it. I'm still missing the walbro, which i should have by next monday and I also need a little sensor (idk the name) that goes on one side of the cylinder head (its the middle sensor) and I'll prob get that at a junk yard on thursday. Once evything is done I'll post new pics...

Enables

5+ Year Member
Damn man really nice, im doing the same with the same engine, Really nice work really like it. I really really want to get the same intake manifold, i already have it on the way, how easy was it and how do you no which throttle bodys i can run with this now because i cant find the skunk one anywhere. thanks bro

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Enables, you'll probably have to modify a bit the bracket that holds the throttle cable, other than that it was a pretty simple upgrade. As for the TB, I'm using my stock D TB, and I would only recommend you getting a stock B-series TB if you choose to upgrade. Eventually I'll get myself a B TB. There's really no need for anything bigger than a stock B to use on the D16, its pointless unless you have it fully built w/ turbo or, you know what i mean, are in really need of all that extra air. Most D's dont need anything bigger than a stock B TB.

So sunday during the day my friend lent me his hoist but when I got home with it I didnt feel like doin any work so came monday. During the day I installed the flywheel and clutch, changed the throw out bearings, cleaned the transmission inner housing, lubed the correct areas and bolted the tranny and motor together. Then at 10pm when my boy showed up, we put it in and it took close to two hours... I know thats alotta time but this is the 1st time we did it and the engine was not aligned so after about 45min of trial and error, I decided to pull it out again and drop it, align it perfectly, then do it again. This time it worked. And mind you, when I pulled the old motor/tranny, I didnt take off the shift linkage cause I couldnt. The little pin didnt come out so I just did it like that but to put the engine in, it required some good moves to get it in there...

Anyone know where does the hose coming outta the water pipe go into?
How about that other hose right next to it, coming outta that black box... where does it do into?

I know you can see the wires in but they're just there so they dont hang in my way...

I need some help you guys, I took apart the engine back in March so I kinda forgot where some things go...

1. I wanted to know where each wire goes, can someone help me please?

2. Also, there are 2 hoses side-by-side coming from the firewall, does this one go here? It's to the thermostat housing... (you can see this same hose on the pic below)

3. Will the other, longer one, go here (beneath the intake mani)?

4. I had my injector ultrasonically cleaned and flow tested and all is good but I'm wondering... Does it matter where the plugs go in each injector? I can tell they have different wire lenths which leaves me to assume kinda where each goes. #4 and #3 are pretty simple but #2 and #1, the lenths are very similar and I cant tell by eyeballin... Can anyone help on this?

greycoupe

5+ Year Member
im gonna start buildin mine soon but im goin boost. SUPPOSEDLY there is some guy down here with a boosted D making over 400 to the wheel.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Greycoupe, I dont doubt it. The way I see it is having so much HP, is nothing if you cant get that to the ground and stop properly. Eventually on my second build, which will be turbo, I'm aiming for 200-250 whp. I'd be very happy with that. My boy has an eg with 265 and he can only race from a roll. Part cause he cant lauch...

BUMP BUMP BUMP, can anyone help me with the above questions....? PLEASE!!!!

Enables

5+ Year Member
Yea i would only be doing it for the full rebuild and to add a turbo on there and im workin on it jus cleaning up some empty spots.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your stock, then 28-30ish should be fine. Go Canes!
The guy who did all the work on my ECU said to put it at 48psi.... Remember, im not stock anymore...

Anyone know where the two hoses coming out from the IACV go to?
I think the hose coming out from the bottom (on the intake mani, on the distributor side) [its on the 2nd to last pic i posted, its the little one on that gold tube] goes IN one of those two thing on the IACV but if I'm correct, then IDK where the other one goes back in. Its coolant flow but nonetheless idk...

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont quote me. but i think one goes to the throttle body? or around that area. and the other one goes to that coolant pipe your wondering about. the big water pipe.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice build... reminds me of mine! lol

now get yourself a Z6 head to port and build and you will be set!

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice build... reminds me of mine! lol

now get yourself a Z6 head to port and build and you will be set!
I plan to keep my y8 head and PNP it cause I figure, getting a z6 or zc head would cost more and I dont even know all the benefits of using that head instead of mine... Thank thou..

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I plan to keep my y8 head and PNP it cause I figure, getting a z6 or zc head would cost more and I dont even know all the benefits of using that head instead of mine... Thank thou..
Z6 head flows better than the Y8 head. the actual port design on the Y8 is more suitable for gas saving than making power.

just a lil info for you to mull over ;)

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
does anyone know where does the hose coming outta the water pipe go to?

I got one hose flowing coolant into my IACV, where does the exit hose go to?

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
A stock B, I think so.. a B w/ H/I/E, maybe not but knowledge was also what I intended to attain so my goals were met. And exactly what you said, 'a stock B'... I rather a built D (by me) than ANY stock B anyday. Those engines (B seies) are great but for the amount of $$$$ I spent on my build all I could end up would have been a stock B...

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does anyone know where does the hose coming outta the water pipe go to?

I got one hose flowing coolant into my IACV, where does the exit hose go to?
got any pics of what your talkin about? i could look at my motor and let u know.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
On the pic below, there's a sensor (I think that's what it is...) to the right of the hose and to the left of the connector depicted, this is on the transmission side of the cylinder head. What is this sensor called? I broke mine so I need to get a new one...

In the center of this pic, you see the bottom of my IACV. On one of the two tube coming out of it I have a hose plugged to it as you can see here

Where does the other hose go to? I was thinking, since coolant flows OUTTA the one missing a hose, perhaps it might go to that hose that comes outta the water pipe..... but i really dont remember where it goes so can anyone help me with this prior to me turning on the car.

The hose plugged into the IACV is the one coming out from the intake manifold. In this pic, it's a hose that goes on that tube on the very right of the picture.

BTW, today the FPR arrived, I installed it and all is good. Just waiting on the walbro now and install the strut bar...