D16Y8 N/A High Comp. Build

fwdpower

No traction though.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
all that work it still wont beat a stock b lol
It sure can. His build will probably yield 160 whp. A stock B16 does not. Besides that, D-Series have a longer stroke, less RPM's, but more torque.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
knightxrider, thanks man... Bro, i totally forgot I have the manual CD with all those pics... Shame on me...

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah he beat you to it but thanks anyways..

Ok, now for the sensor I was asking before, I found what it was...

I have the sensor so what I broke is the sending unit.... Do you guys think I can turn on my car or will coolant leak outta there?

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah he beat you to it but thanks anyways..

Ok, now for the sensor I was asking before, I found what it was...

I have the sensor so what I broke is the sending unit.... Do you guys think I can turn on my car or will coolant leak outta there?
i believe coolant will leak from it... try filling the motor with water first and see if it leaks.

if not, drain the water and re-fill with antifreeze and your good to go.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
try filling the motor with water first and see if it leaks.
I'm not sure but I dont think I could do it yet since I need to turn on the motor so that the water pump works, and maybe even wait till it warms up so that the thermostat opens... I'm kinda pissed right now cause the guy who I bought the walbro from sent that s**t out today and I paid him last wednesday and I wanna turn on my car already. I sold my stock FP btw....

Oh, and I'm also pissed cause I forgot if I tightened the flywheel bolts to the correct torque specs or not so to be sure Imma have to pull the tranny out again..... Oops, just remebered I did cause I had to use a different tq wrench...

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this thing is coming nicely. i love d builds. im always the only d riding now.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok so I was laying down (yes right now)... tossin n turnin... Then I thought "s**t, I put on a new stage1 clutch, and I havent even pressed the clutch pedal, let me try it"

So I get up, yes now at 3am, go to my car and press it and that s**t goes all the way to the floor. No pressure at all on it. Now I know I have the Haynes but I dont feel like reading right now...

You know the problem so what is the solution? Add more clutch fluid? Bleed the system? I remember when I took the old motor/tranny out I had to unbolt some s**t on the tranny (right near the radiator fan) and some fluid came outta the thin metal tube/pipe/line/hose (or w/e its called). I'm not sure but I think I can use DOT3 Brake fluid, right?

And besides that, the FPR from Blox arrived and that little s**t's pretty sweet. I mean my boy has an $180 AEM but I got a $36 Blox one and had a smile on my face. Super easy installation also. I'm still missing the fuel pump (which a guy from eBay f**ked me over so now its taking longer, but its my fault for buying off a regular guy and not a power seller... ) and the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sending unit. BTW, could I turn on my car w/o that sending unit?

Oh, my Autometer Z-series oil pressure gauge arrived as well and its beautiful (I like black things and I'm not even gothic, lol) but I still need two more things to use this... the sandwich adaptor that goes by the oil filter ($35) and a gauge pod (which I'm still undecided if I want a pillar mount for 2 gauges or the frog-s**t cluster-type, also for 2 gauges) and I dont even know what other gauge I could get that's useful. I was thinkin coolant temp but idk. Perhaps a air/fuel ratio but I dont know if that'll be useful for me plus I dont know if I need to also get a wideband to use an air/fuel ratio gauge.

Oh and I had a little problem with my ball-joint but I was able to temporarily fix that.

Here's a few things I'll get this year;
-fuel pump
-ECT sending unit
-front camber kit
-pay off tickets

Next year, my only goal is to get the 5zigen FN01R-C in bronze but im unsure if I should get 16x7 or 15x7.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Here's the Flywheel. I'm missing the flywheel cover cause the assholes at HPC lost it (or stole it)...

Not pretty but hopefully will run good...

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
the samco hoses and possible spoon wires have nothing wrong with them being blue.. I think this is a well done engine bay.. digging the intake mani and would like to know how it runs

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The wires are NGK and for the price i paid, I couldnt choose color and i dont care either.

The hoses are gates racing and they came in blue, im not sure if i had the option to choose color.

The Blox FPR, I meant to buy the gun metal one and when it arrived I was a bit upset but then I was like "f**k it". It was my fault for ordering it blue. No bigge thou.

The blue hose coming outta the VC, well a loooong time ago my bay was riced-out in blue, and that hose is a left over of that mistake. I'll switch it later when I order the one piece CAI.

Before, with the skunk2 IM, I'd floor the car and depending on the RPMs, it would lag but I wont have that problem anymore.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Good luck with this build its inspiring me to build my D instead of swapping motors. But mine is auto not sure if I want to keep it like that lol

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Good luck with this build its inspiring me to build my D instead of swapping motors. But mine is auto not sure if I want to keep it like that lol
then make it manual... But like most people do, you can choose to buy another engine and keep it stock! Really, its all about how much money you put into it, the knowledge you have to buy the parts and mechanical skills. If you dont have the latter, then thats mad money you gotta pay someone that has the knowledge you dont so I say, Learn how to do it and forget ever paying anyone for working on ur car... but im a true believer in "If you want it done right, do it yourself".

subsonic-civic

5+ Year Member
wow.. im very impressed! That looks really good. Like that previous poster said, definately makes me consider keeping my D16Y8. haha. But 160whp isnt enough for me. I wanna get 180-200whp. I've been looking into boosting, but dunno what shape my engine is in currently, so i might just swap in a B18C5 (ITR).

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The condition of mi y8 was I Dont Know and I Dont Care either, so I took it a shop and told them "Make it new" and they did and that was it. I would have gone Bseries but with the 3k I spent in 7months on this build, and its built other than the head... all I would end up with is a f**kin stock motor, dirty, stock, and I wouldnt have learned anything about engine building, hence y i stuck with my y8.

I didnt have to buy new axles, I didnt have to buy new motor mount (I bought inserts for $45), I didnt have to buy a new ECU (but since the High compression, I kinda did), I didnt have to have anyone touch my car, I was able to do all the work myself (except for machine shop work and chipping my ECU, which I could have chipped it by learning-which there are plenty of how to's on chipping- and buying certain tools). I borrowed a hoist, came up on a stand for $32, and since my boy is building a turbo B16 and he's going all out and he shits money, he bought both torque wrenches, I bought everything else.

Imma go right now to the junk yard and see if I can find a stock fuel pump for no more than $10 and that little sensor Im missing..

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea bro I have mechanical skills and have friends that have been in this seen for so much longer and they wouldn't charge me so I am going to swap it to manual then get either a y8 or z6 head then build everything from there.

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea bro I have mechanical skills and have friends that have been in this seen for so much longer and they wouldn't charge me so I am going to swap it to manual then get either a y8 or z6 head then build everything from there.
Sounds great you have friends tha'll help you. I had to do everything by myself, the only help I got was a million rides during the past 7 months and my friend helped me for a few hours to put the engine in the car..

Besides that, I finally got to turn on the car. I'm only running the headers and a test pipe so it's super loud. It's just like that for a week or so untill I get the exhaust mounting brackets welded correctly.

And my idle was a little off so I adjusted the screw on the TB but it's still acting up... Cant wait to floor it....