Need your opinion...

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
assuming everything is solid and it has a good tune, no problems, then id say yea its a straight deal.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I would personally not buy a car that was modified that extensively. He probably beat the s**t out of it.

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would personally not buy a car that was modified that extensively. He probably beat the s**t out of it.
if you know enough about checking cars out, there should be some obvious signs and things to look for.

Laozy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok. Well there are some pretty good stock ones. Kinda ricey, but I think I could fix that. What would you recommend I get?

Laozy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
assuming everything is solid and it has a good tune, no problems, then id say yea its a straight deal.
Alrighty. I'll check with him to see the car. If everything seems ok, I might buy it. Btw, what are signs I should look for when I'm buying. I'm new to the car scene.

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
something just swapped would be nice, no turbos. if you can find a swap with less than 5k on the swap and documentation, looks clean, etc etc... then id say go that route. Also if you dont know what to look for while checking it out, bring a honda guru with you

Laozy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
something just swapped would be nice, no turbos. if you can find a swap with less than 5k on the swap and documentation, looks clean, etc etc... then id say go that route. Also if you dont know what to look for while checking it out, bring a honda guru with you
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure I know any Honda guru's. I've been studying about Honda's for a while so I might be in luck.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm 99% sure that car was beat to s**t.

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well some things to do. 1. Turn the wheels all the way from a stop, slowly start to move, do this both directions, you dont want to hear any clicking or clunking. 2. obvious one, check for rubber particles on the wheel wells. 3. while the hood is open, slowly move the throttle plate to higher rpms, if you hear any ticking under the valve cover, thats bad. 4. check for leaks/drips while running, and not running. 5. check oil level and color, black is bad lol. 6. make sure theres no haggered looking wiring under the hood.

All in all, ive found that the cars that are kept really clean inside and out, have the most loving owners, and theyve actually respected and taken care of their car. If its dirty and theres trash everywhere, be careful.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I think you should get whatever you want to drive. Its your money and your decision. Im just trying to help you avoid getting screwed in the end.

Your best bet, honestly, would be to take the car to a mechanic. Ask the seller if you can. If they say no then you know something is up. If they say yes, have the mechanic throw it up on a lift and check brakes, belts, check for leaks. Stuff like that. Trust me, it will be well worth your time. I took a '95 Integra to a shop. They didnt even put it up on the lift and they already noticed that the car was in an accident judging by the inside of the fenders, and that there was a slight knock on the bottom end. Saved me the trouble of buying a POS car, AND the guy was nice enough to say he wasnt even going to charge me. I still threw him a $20 though.

For my current EM2 that I ended up buying. I had it brought to a shop and they charged a lot, at $100. But it was well worth it, because they were able to tell me what kind of condition the brakes, tires, belts were in, and that there werent any engine or transmission leaks they could find. Thats the best $100 you can spend on a car you dont even own yet.

Laozy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm 99% sure that car was beat to s**t.
I think so too. But I'll check everything out to see if its all good.

Well some things to do. 1. Turn the wheels all the way from a stop, slowly start to move, do this both directions, you dont want to hear any clicking or clunking. 2. obvious one, check for rubber particles on the wheel wells. 3. while the hood is open, slowly move the throttle plate to higher rpms, if you hear any ticking under the valve cover, thats bad. 4. check for leaks/drips while running, and not running. 5. check oil level and color, black is bad lol. 6. make sure theres no haggered looking wiring under the hood.

All in all, ive found that the cars that are kept really clean inside and out, have the most loving owners, and theyve actually respected and taken care of their car. If its dirty and theres trash everywhere, be careful.
Alright. I'll do all these things if I go see it.

Btw. Here is another ad that I think that look's good. It looks like it will be a great project car, and if I have left over money, I'll use it to work on the hatch.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member

Also check coolant. Low coolant level is bad, as is oil mixed in with the coolant. Make sure you PROPERLY remove the radiator cap to do this, it is best to do this before the car has been running for a while......meaning check this first. It will take less effort to relieve pressure.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There's only so much checking you can do. If someone with knowledge about cars can make most car symptoms go away long enough to sale a car. I've done it. I had a rod knock, I threw some thick oil in there, it went away long enough to sell the car.

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ missed that lol

also make sure theres no gunk/oil buildup around the valve cover

make sure the front core support looks straight, and that body panels line up correctly

Check title to see if its clean

avoid cars that shake when letting out the clutch, as it could be a warped pressure plate, or worse

Laozy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think you should get whatever you want to drive. Its your money and your decision. Im just trying to help you avoid getting screwed in the end.

Your best bet, honestly, would be to take the car to a mechanic. Ask the seller if you can. If they say no then you know something is up. If they say yes, have the mechanic throw it up on a lift and check brakes, belts, check for leaks. Stuff like that. Trust me, it will be well worth your time. I took a '95 Integra to a shop. They didnt even put it up on the lift and they already noticed that the car was in an accident judging by the inside of the fenders, and that there was a slight knock on the bottom end. Saved me the trouble of buying a POS car, AND the guy was nice enough to say he wasnt even going to charge me. I still threw him a $20 though.

For my current EM2 that I ended up buying. I had it brought to a shop and they charged a lot, at $100. But it was well worth it, because they were able to tell me what kind of condition the brakes, tires, belts were in, and that there werent any engine or transmission leaks they could find. Thats the best $100 you can spend on a car you dont even own yet.
I should probably do this. But the thing about being young and looking for a first car where I live is that they will try to convince you that everything is in great condition. They will keep saying that over and over even though you ask to check with a mechanic. If it goes down like this then I'll just leave. Lol.

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There's only so much checking you can do. If someone with knowledge about cars can make most car symptoms go away long enough to sale a car. I've done it. I had a rod knock, I threw some thick oil in there, it went away long enough to sell the car.
Well then, we avoid the shady looking sellers :lol:

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I should probably do this. But the thing about being young and looking for a first car where I live is that they will try to convince you that everything is in great condition. They will keep saying that over and over even though you ask to check with a mechanic. If it goes down like this then I'll just leave. Lol.

Well you are well equiped with knowledge on what to look for now, so you could do a self check first.

Laozy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well you are well equiped with knowledge on what to look for now, so you could do a self check first.
Ya, you are very right. Thank you guys SOOOOO much for all your help. I feel 10x's smarter. Haha.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yea if they start to ramble on about how the car is in great condition, just look them straight in the eye and say "Look I want the car, I have the money for it. BUT, Im not even considering buying it until having MY mechanic check it out. If you dont want me to, I will take my business elsewhere." You dont actually have to have a mechanic you regularly go to, but it sounds better if they think you do. And no matter how much you may like a car, be prepared to possibly walk away if they say no.