I hate mechanics

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just saying get a haynes manual and u would be suprised what u can do urself in the apartment complex parking lot or ur own garage...

and all with a simple $20 tool set from walmart...

u will never know til u try...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't have the tools to work on my car. Nor the experience. Nor have I ever had a father or an older male influence to teach me anything about cars, sports, etc... Not a sob story, just sayin...
My dad HATES working on vehicles. I learned everything I know about cabinetry, woodworking, and carpentry, but NOTHING about mechanics from him. What I learned, I did it on my own through reading, asking mechanics, and hands on. Your excuse holds no water here. I am sure a LOT of the others here learned on their own.

What about the $300 I'm giving them in labor? How much more profit do they want?
Like a bunch of others have stated, the price sounds fair. At $100 an hour 3 hours for work isn't all that much.

I'm a math teacher, not a car junkie. We all have our areas of expertise...
You are coming on to a Honda help site to complain about mechanics? You do realize that 90% of the site's main members are mechanics of some sort, weather that be shop or at home.

Your argument would be like one of us coming to you saying that they "hate teachers" because kids aren't learning s**t now a days.

Kendogg531

5+ Year Member
My dad HATES working on vehicles. I learned everything I know about cabinetry, woodworking, and carpentry, but NOTHING about mechanics from him. What I learned, I did it on my own through reading, asking mechanics, and hands on. Your excuse holds no water here. I am sure a LOT of the others here learned on their own.

Like a bunch of others have stated, the price sounds fair. At $100 an hour 3 hours for work isn't all that much.

You are coming on to a Honda help site to complain about mechanics? You do realize that 90% of the site's main members are mechanics of some sort, weather that be shop or at home.

Your argument would be like one of us coming to you saying that they "hate teachers" because kids aren't learning s**t now a days.

I must say, very well said.

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Majority aren't.

edit: Not saying that's a teacher's fault.

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i hate any place that leaves thier s**t in my car also... like that f**king paper floormat... or at sears the plastic seat cover...

its fine if they put it in there while they are in it... but take it out when your done.

how many folks here had thier car detailed by the dealer?

i want to.. but my car is trashed on the inside... and i feel bad for the guy cleaning it out.

We used to, but now when we pull a car up on the service drive to be delivered to the customer, we take all that crap back out, except for the "thanks for your business" card/mint, haha. We actually get a decent amount of people who have us detail their cars. I'd say 4-5 a day, and the detail guys do tend to groan and complain when they have to do a really trashed car, but they'll still do it right and get it detailed as good as possible, even if it takes a little longer than normal. But, that's just where I work, can't vouch for the other guys.

ekracer_83

hardcore rice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just pray that once you paid that much they give a good quality repairs that last for awhile.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Majority aren't.

edit: Not saying that's a teacher's fault.

This is very true.

I also want to reiterate that I also don't think that it is the teacher's fault. There is no less than 10 teachers in my family. All from different grades and span many different subject matter. They do the best they can with the materials and canvas that they are given.

My statement was meant to mean that it is wrong to blame mechanics for doing the job they are paid to do. It isn't their fault that the shops cost that much. That is out of their control.

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Shops mark up the prices for parts, so you probably end up paying at least 175% of retail value of each part. On average, as previously stated, one hour is worth about $100. If they can do a 3 hour job in an hour, you're still charged for 3 hours but they're ahead (time is money).

Essentially, Parts (marked up) + flat rate/job = much more than doing it yourself.

Maybe you were ripped off, but live and learn.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My personal opinion based on what information he gave, I don't think he was ripped off. They might be higher than other shops, but that is why you get an estimate before you agree to let them do the work. The estimate should show you EXACTLY what it is going to cost and what they are going to do. If there is any other work to be done other than what they quoted, they should contact you BEFORE doing any more work.

If OP just dropped it off and didn't go through the contract, that is on him. Not the shop.

Like I said, I am only going off what information he included. From what he said, it doesn't sound like they did a bunch of extra work.

To reiterate, yes there is a mark up on parts. Some more than others. For example: I distribute cabinets for a living. It is a business that I have been co owner of for over 7 years now. Depending on if it is walk in, contractors, or dealers, our mark up varies. For walk in, because they are a huge pain in the @$$, our mark up is 75% of wholesale. That is still easy 50% less than what you get them for at home depot or the like and almost 80% less than what you pay at a custom cabinet shop.

If we didn't mark up prices, we wouldn't still be in business. It's called making a profit to meet extra expenses.

lovevii

If you are a math teacher, then you should know that parts + labor = $.
heh. The only reason I complained really is because the shop wasn't willing to help me out by letting me buy my own parts. I don't care about paying for the parts or labor. It's being forced into being overcharged that got on my nerves. I only make $450 a month... A $730 bill wasn't what I was looking forward to. That's all I'm sayin.

On the bright side, in my complaining, I found someone who will help me do the work on my car myself in the future.

lovevii

In all fairness, I wasn't really complaining about the MECHANICS themselves as I was the shop owner... The mechanics don't make the policies and they did a great job fixing my car, despite getting the interior a little dirty...

And I have a number of issues with teachers and kids, but that's irrelevant =)

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
heh. The only reason I complained really is because the shop wasn't willing to help me out by letting me buy my own parts. I don't care about paying for the parts or labor. It's being forced into being overcharged that got on my nerves. I only make $450 a month... A $730 bill wasn't what I was looking forward to. That's all I'm sayin.

On the bright side, in my complaining, I found someone who will help me do the work on my car myself in the future.
how is it possible that you only make 450 a month? I make that in a week :shock:

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is only ONE question so far that matters..

did they give you an estimate
for the record $750 for that job is f**king RIDICULOUS... as pointed out.. if you can't change a honda fuel pump in under a half an hour you are a f**king idiot..

on top of that.. a f**king high flow fuel pump (bbk, walbro, etc..) is only like $150 MAX?

i want to know how the f**k they got to $750...
did you get a f**king hand job in the back or something while they did the work?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
post edit...

if you could not do this entire job AND towing for under $500 (providing you were not towed some insane distance) then i dont know what to say..

here is the important part..

LEARN ABOUT YOUR CAR...

people here will help you.. you could have taken $200 and bought ALMOST EVERY tool you will EVER need.. taken $100 and bought the pump.. and had us walk you through install.. and STILL walked away paying a FRACTION of what you paid..

that job requires SIMPLE hand tools..

lovevii

there is only ONE question so far that matters..

for the record $750 for that job is f**king RIDICULOUS... as pointed out.. if you can't change a honda fuel pump in under a half an hour you are a f**king idiot..

on top of that.. a f**king high flow fuel pump (bbk, walbro, etc..) is only like $150 MAX?

i want to know how the f**k they got to $750...
did you get a f**king hand job in the back or something while they did the work?
That was kinda my point, but everyone else seems to think it's normal...
Yes, they gave me an estimate, which is why I tried to buy my own parts... They wouldn't let me...
The receipt:
Tow - $40
Diagnose problem/Labor - $270
Fuel Pump - $237.33
Fuel Filter - $22.99
Main Relay - $89.00
Shop Supplies - $4.50
Tax - $63.06
Total - $726.88

And to top it off, the CEL is on now... Code 16... Anyone know how to fix that? I frankly don't even know what a fuel injector is...

And yeah... $450 a month... I work part-time at a Sylvan Learning Center and go to school full-time at East Tennessee State... My life sucks right now, but only another year til graduation and then I can get a REAL teaching job.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That was kinda my point, but everyone else seems to think it's normal...
Yes, they gave me an estimate, which is why I tried to buy my own parts... They wouldn't let me...
The receipt:
Tow - $40
Diagnose problem/Labor - $270
Fuel Pump - $237.33
Fuel Filter - $22.99
Main Relay - $89.00
Shop Supplies - $4.50
Tax - $63.06
Total - $726.88

And to top it off, the CEL is on now... Code 16... Anyone know how to fix that? I frankly don't even know what a fuel injector is...

And yeah... $450 a month... I work part-time at a Sylvan Learning Center and go to school full-time at East Tennessee State... My life sucks right now, but only another year til graduation and then I can get a REAL teaching job.

so your filter.. main relay... and fuel pump all failed at the same time?

it does NOT sound like the shop diagnosed your problem.. it sounds like they just kept changing s**t till the car started (at YOUR expense) maybe thats why it took so f**king long to diagnose... i would maybe ask them how ALL your parts failed at once.. who knows maybe it was just the main relay and the fuel pump wasnt even bad...

sounds to me that you were the one who was pumped..

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so your filter.. main relay... and fuel pump all failed at the same time?

it does NOT sound like the shop diagnosed your problem.. it sounds like they just kept changing s**t till the car started (at YOUR expense) maybe thats why it took so f**king long to diagnose... i would maybe ask them how ALL your parts failed at once.. who knows maybe it was just the main relay and the fuel pump wasnt even bad...

sounds to me that you were the one who was pumped..
also an excellent reason to ask for the original parts so you can one, verify that they indeed changed them, and two to test them and see if they work or not.

right now with the heat on its way the main relay is your weak link. the solder in them crack and then dont work anymore due to excessive heat or sudden temp changes.