I hate mechanics

RonJ

Banned
Replacement ECU is same... CEL is on... No codes are throwing... I'm gonna drive it to work and back and see if anything changes... I tried pulling the fuse and disconnecting the battery after connecting the new ECU and nothing I did made any changes...

I'm beginning to think the problem has to do with the LEDs in my instrument panel... The CEL comes on bright when the car first turns on, but when the fuel pump stops priming, the CEL goes a little dimmer... When I get home I'm gonna tinker with the instrument cluster and see what happens.
That's new information. Redo the test described in post #57 with the replacement ECU installed. If you get the same result as before, then install new main relay fuses (there are three), inspect the fuse sockets for any signs of damage, and then thoroughly clean and tighten the critical G101 ground wire attached to the thermostat housing on the engine.

lovevii

That's new information. Redo the test described in post #57 with the replacement ECU installed. If you get the same result as before, then install new main relay fuses (there are three), inspect the fuse sockets for any signs of damage, and then thoroughly clean and tighten the critical G101 ground wire attached to the thermostat housing on the engine.
Yeah I just noticed it today. When I was coming home from work, the CEL brightened and was throwing code 1... I don't know why it goes dim instead of turning off... But the code 1 isn't the issue with the CEL... My CEL almost always comes on during my drive home on the same hill everyday..... What could be causing code 1?

Anddd I'm gonna go try what you recommended assuming I can find all of it.

EDIT: Changing the bulb back to the regular stock light fixed it. Do you know what would cause an LED to go DIM instead of turn off?

RonJ

Banned
I did not realize that you had an LED bulb for the CEL. Is everything fixed now? No CEL, no codes? So both ECUs are fine, and the LED in the CEL socket was the problem? Live and learn.

lovevii

I did not realize that you had an LED bulb for the CEL. Is everything fixed now? No CEL, no codes? So both ECUs are fine, and the LED in the CEL socket was the problem? Live and learn.
Well my car still throws a code 1 on my drive home for work. Has done that for a while. I don't know why.
But yeah, changing from LED to regular fixed the random CEL...