I hate mechanics

lovevii

Is there anything you can do when a mechanic completely rips you off?
I had my car towed to a shop and they replaced the fuel pump, fuel relay, fuel filter and fuel pump screen.
The tow was $35...
The total bill was $730...
I looked up the parts on Auto Zone... $250...
They charged me $239 for the Fuel Pump alone...
I'm so irate. But I don't think there's anything I can do now?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nope. u shoulda done it urself. most shops r teetering on $100/hr nowadays..

Aaron.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah its a to late man, they already did the work so you cant not pay them now

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had my car towed to a shop and they replaced the fuel pump, fuel relay, fuel filter and fuel pump screen.
The tow was $35...
The total bill was $730...
I looked up the parts on Auto Zone... $250...
They charged me $239 for the Fuel Pump alone...
I'm so irate. But I don't think there's anything I can do now?

if they charged you the exact price they buy it for they wouldnt make a profit. You have to remember they are running a BUSINESS.

RonJ

Banned
Did they give you an estimate prior to doing the work? Did you ask for one? If not, live and learn.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes. first off you never want post on the internet that you got ripped off by a mechanic.

well, hope that helps. good luck next time.

tonyM

caca poopoo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Should have done it yourself. I think the price you paid is right on target with todays rates.

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We charge $110 per hour at the Toyota dealership. And honestly, I really do recommend dealership work. After my experience with both independent shops and dealerships, the dealers really do turn out some of the best work. I usually do my own work (perks of working where I do) but i almost always buy OEM parts for my Honda :-)

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We charge $110 per hour at the Toyota dealership. And honestly, I really do recommend dealership work. After my experience with both independent shops and dealerships, the dealers really do turn out some of the best work. I usually do my own work (perks of working where I do) but i almost always buy OEM parts for my Honda :-)
our labor rate is 80/hour

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea dealer work makes it looked like they never even touched it... i mean... my seat wasnt even moved when i let the dealer have it.

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We do try to make that impression, usually we don't move seats, make sure any marks or oil we get on any part of your car gets cleaned completely, etc... We honestly do try and make it as good for the customer as possible, even though they are usually just angry because they think we take too long or charge too much. Don't take it out on the mechanics guys!

And dang, $80 an hour is cheap these days.

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i hate any place that leaves thier s**t in my car also... like that f**king paper floormat... or at sears the plastic seat cover...

its fine if they put it in there while they are in it... but take it out when your done.

how many folks here had thier car detailed by the dealer?

i want to.. but my car is trashed on the inside... and i feel bad for the guy cleaning it out.

civicSIcoupe

All Day, Every Day
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my shop also charges $110/h which is pretty common now-a-days for good proper work. when you think about it, they would have had to drop out the tank and all, so thats where the extra labour came into play. yes you could have done it yourself but you didn't so you have to pay now.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
120 a hour at our cadillac dealership, sounds like you got a steal lol

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my shop also charges $110/h which is pretty common now-a-days for good proper work. when you think about it, they would have had to drop out the tank and all, so thats where the extra labour came into play. yes you could have done it yourself but you didn't so you have to pay now.

ummm. its a honda man. hondas and acuras put a access panel under the seat (or in the trunk depending on the car) to get to the fuel pump and the sending unit. not tank dropage needed. I did the fuel pump and screen on my old 90 lude and it took a whole 20 minutes. main relay takes 5 seconds. and fuel pump another 10 minute. if you know what your doing it takes no time at all. live and learn man. nothing more you can do.

lovevii

nope. u shoulda done it urself. most shops r teetering on $100/hr nowadays..
I don't have the tools to work on my car. Nor the experience. Nor have I ever had a father or an older male influence to teach me anything about cars, sports, etc... Not a sob story, just sayin...

if they charged you the exact price they buy it for they wouldnt make a profit. You have to remember they are running a BUSINESS.
What about the $300 I'm giving them in labor? How much more profit do they want?

What a damn newb.
I'm a math teacher, not a car junkie. We all have our areas of expertise...