Civic Vs.mustang

ch3ch3

Ch3Ch3
Jello im Ch3Ch3 u might rememba me from my first thread a couple days ago best engine swap yep dats me "Return Of da Noobie" basically i have a 1996 civic love to death an i wanna Hook it up an race on local track here where i stay so i join to share my expirences and Learn from OG's well i was on youtube and i saw a civic beat a fukkin ferrari ooo i was sooped up bit then i saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLjV57w2l-I&NR=1 ooo it was bad an every other video i watch mustang won what do you think muscle vs sport?, what are thoeries on how to match a mustang with our civics,what must be done ppl in my area talking shyt say no replacement for displacement lets not put pride in the way what are you true feelings share your knowlegde =)

Mad-Mike

5+ Year Member
Get some turbo and your set.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
rear wheel drive will always have better traction than front wheel drive because the center of gravity shifts to those tires during acceleration, thus, a rwd vehicle can put more power down to the pavement than a fwd. if you want to haul ass and do wheelies on the track, trade in your civic for a fox body. if you want to haul ass and still have cash in your wallet, keep the civic and boost it

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
having had a civic with a B series swap.. nitrous... etc.. and NOW having a rwd 300+ ft lbs of torque mustang.. I will tell you this.. the civic handled way better than the mustang (keeping in mind the entire civic suspension was modded and the mustangs suspension is entirely stock...), but when it comes to power.. I don't care what anyone says here.. you will NEVER and I repeat.. NEVER catch up to a mustang for a reasonable amount of money.. a basic 5.0 fox body doesnt weigh much more than your civic.. but is RWD, makes about 275hp and 300ftlb tq STOCK... and people ARE turboing these cars a LOT more often now.. and they are FAST... look at it like this.. I just bought a 306 for my mustang... it is a ZERO miles completely rebuilt motor with aftermarket parts.. and it cost me 1400.. back when I was into hondas.. I bought a b18c for 2500 (i think) and that was some unknown mileage unknown condition motor.. and that was a GOOD deal at the time.. that is not to say i never beat a mustang with my honda.. i beat plenty.. when the car was on nitrous.. but the cars i beat were relatively stock.. if the mustang also had spray i would have had NO chance..

00_Civic_Si

BrokenEM1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How'd I know you'd somehow fit perfect into this thread OC. :lol: As stated above, civics cannot beat a mustang unless the mustang is a v6 automatic and you have turbo.. nitrous.. ect. By how many mustangs and camaros in my city, i have yet to see a civic even come close. To me, racing a mustang in a civic is just retarded but thats just my .02.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Rep for built Mustangs, but x2 for spray, especially on a stock-looking Civic. Caught a lot of people off guard last year at the track, I did.

But after the first time--and once they learned what I was running--they would usually start driving very differently against me. Usually winning easily, I might add.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I totally agree with OC. I would be driving a muscle car right now if it werent for the fact that I can only afford one car, and I need something reliable. Therefore, I drive a Honda. And its stock. But the only place I would race a Mustang or a Camaro would be on an autox track. Yes there are Honda's out there that can beat muscle cars.......stock muscle cars. And here is a secret.....if you want to beat a Mustang at the track, buy a Camaro :D Stock for stock, Camaro's are usually faster than Mustangs as they have larger engines. Mustang either runs a 4.6 or 5.0. Camaro runs a 5.7. And your friends who tell you there is no replacement for displacement.........for the most part they are right. I bet you I could make 500hp on a Camaro with half the money you would need to make 500hp on a Civic....and I would STILL hook up the tires much better. If you are into drag racing, you got the wrong car.

ch3ch3

Ch3Ch3
wow so it is as i feared there is no replacement for displacement however i love sport cars better so im going to build my civic up best i can and make sure i keep a ton of spray on me lol n try to stay away from 5.0 mustangs for embarrasment reasons

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I totally agree with OC. I would be driving a muscle car right now if it werent for the fact that I can only afford one car, and I need something reliable. Therefore, I drive a Honda. And its stock. But the only place I would race a Mustang or a Camaro would be on an autox track. Yes there are Honda's out there that can beat muscle cars.......stock muscle cars. And here is a secret.....if you want to beat a Mustang at the track, buy a Camaro :D Stock for stock, Camaro's are usually faster than Mustangs as they have larger engines. Mustang either runs a 4.6 or 5.0. Camaro runs a 5.7. And your friends who tell you there is no replacement for displacement.........for the most part they are right. I bet you I could make 500hp on a Camaro with half the money you would need to make 500hp on a Civic....and I would STILL hook up the tires much better. If you are into drag racing, you got the wrong car.
the camaro has to run a bigger motor to make up for all that extra weight ;)

but the other s**t you mentioned is DEAD on..
take a 6th gen civic.. you could piece one together with a swap and all for 5 - 6k? few grand for the car.. couple grand for a swap.. that would get you a pretty light 180hp? car.. which would drive well.. be decent on gas.. and have decent power.. my mustang was about $3k and the motor I am putting in was about $1500ish.. the $1500 INCLUDES my friend helping me install it.. a STOCK 5.0 motor makes about 275hp.. so this one with the mods it has lets just be conservative and say 325 - 350hp... so now for $4500 I am driving around a car making well over 300hp... and still have money to spend to be on budget with the civic build.. take another $500 and throw on some spray.. just hit it with 100 shot (which is not much on a 5.0).. now you are over 400hp take another $500 and throw some drag radials in the back.. so now for $5500 you have a RWD v8 5.0 car that weighs a little more than the honda but makes MORE than TWICE the horsepower AND has the tire to hook... this was really the problem I had when I was into hondas.. you are at such a huge financial disadvantage when it comes to comparing out to V8s that you will just literally never catch up.. and you will ALWAYS be spending more..

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

take a 6th gen civic.. you could piece one together with a swap and all for 5 - 6k? few grand for the car.. couple grand for a swap.. that would get you a pretty light 180hp? car.. which would drive well.. be decent on gas.. and have decent power.. my mustang was about $3k and the motor I am putting in was about $1500ish.. the $1500 INCLUDES my friend helping me install it.. a STOCK 5.0 motor makes about 275hp.. so this one with the mods it has lets just be conservative and say 325 - 350hp... so now for $4500 I am driving around a car making well over 300hp... and still have money to spend to be on budget with the civic build.. take another $500 and throw on some spray.. just hit it with 100 shot (which is not much on a 5.0).. now you are over 400hp take another $500 and throw some drag radials in the back.. so now for $5500 you have a RWD v8 5.0 car that weighs a little more than the honda but makes MORE than TWICE the horsepower AND has the tire to hook... this was really the problem I had when I was into hondas.. you are at such a huge financial disadvantage when it comes to comparing out to V8s that you will just literally never catch up.. and you will ALWAYS be spending more..
OC, I can't wait to see some videos of you running your build.

wow so it is as i feared there is no replacement for displacement however i love sport cars better so im going to build my civic up best i can and make sure i keep a ton of spray on me lol n try to stay away from 5.0 mustangs for embarrasment reasons
Just don't be spraying off the track, ever. It's not worth it. It's easy to get carried away with that stuff because it feels so good. =)

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you had a reputable building build and tune the car for nitrous... got some drag radials... you could hypothetically make enough power to destroy MOST domestics you see on the street.. MOST domestics just rolling around are pretty stock.. which is not something that is impossible to beat.. you just have to spend money correctly and focus on things that are important...

for example.. if you want to make a fast stop light racer, drag strip car.. keep the car a reasonable height.. a LOT of imports owners like to "dump the car".. while this may LOOK cool.. it will likely hurt traction and make the car NOT hook as well..

so if you attack the project with FUNCTION in mind instead of cool in mind.. you should have no issue making a low 13 second car that is still VERY streetable.. low 13s will NOT win you races against modified large displacement v8s but to me 13 second passes gets you into a reputable bracket where you can beat and or hang with pretty quick cars.. obviously faster would be great, but set a reasonable goal first.. go from there..

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
.........Im sorry, but you dont have a sports car. Something like a newer Corvette, or even a 350z are sports cars. When your car is offered in either 2 door, or 4 door....its NOT a sports car. I also refuse to believe that ANY car with more than two seats is a "sports" car. You have an economy car.

Well now lets not get into the Camaro vs. Rustang debate, it would be a shame if I had to show you up on a public forum ;)

Anyway. On top of that, what Honda's are missing is TORQUE. An essential need for drag racing. Hell, my V6 Camaro may have only had 160hp....as much as an EM1.....but it also had 200ft/lbs. You would probably need roughly 300hp out of a Civic to even compare to those numbers. And again........you STILL arent going to hook up as well. Its just not feasible. OP like I said....if you want to drag race then you got the wrong car.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well now lets not get into the Camaro vs. Rustang debate, it would be a shame if I had to show you up on a public forum ;)

Anyway. On top of that, what Honda's are missing is TORQUE. An essential need for drag racing. Hell, my V6 Camaro may have only had 160hp....as much as an EM1.....but it also had 200ft/lbs. You would probably need roughly 300hp out of a Civic to even compare to those numbers. And again........you STILL arent going to hook up as well. Its just not feasible. OP like I said....if you want to drag race then you got the wrong car.
you have (had) a v6 camaro.. you wont be showin anyone up.. ;)

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Dammit......at least you didnt mention that it was purple :lol:

In all honesty though. My stock V6 Camaro still had more torque than 80% of the Civic's on this site will ever see. So my main point still remains.....if OP wants to drag race, he got the wrong car.

ch3ch3

Ch3Ch3
thnx for the input guys muscle cars are really amazing imports as well i guess they all have their pros and cons just depends on your style