Civic Vs.mustang

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you want more bang for your buck get a diesel. just to list SOME of the advantages

-already turbocharged from the factory
-mods are cheap in relation to power gained (added 140 rwhp with a set of $500 injectors)
-no air/fuel ratios to worry about
-internals are extremely strong from the factory. i know of people with close to 1000hp on STOCK bottom ends

oh and on top of all this you can expect 20 mpg or better. in some cases close to 30. not to mention the fact that diesels will run forever if you take care of them

sorry i know this is a civic website but im just giving my opinion since you all are talking about power to money ratios lol
while what you are saying may be true there are OTHER factors to consider.. diesel trucks are generally heavy and transmissions / rears are geared towards towing pulling power as opposed to "drag race" power... again while you most certainly CAN race a diesel truck it is not common for a reason.. there is more work involved to take that XXXhp and make it MOVE that heavy ass truck, and further to utilize the power in a race capacity..

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
.........Im sorry, but you dont have a sports car. Something like a newer Corvette, or even a 350z are sports cars. When your car is offered in either 2 door, or 4 door....its NOT a sports car. I also refuse to believe that ANY car with more than two seats is a "sports" car. You have an economy car.
Skyline came in a sedan model ;)

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Its possible for a civic to beat a mustang. You can even beat one with a stock or oem motor I might add. If you did a swap you could beat a mustang gt with a stock motor.
Its been proven that a Civic can beat a Mustang, I dont see your point. The whole point of this thread is that a muscle car can beat a Civic MUCH EASIER AND CHEAPER. And the only Mustang that a Civic could beat with a stock motor would be one of the inline4's, or maybe a V6 if the Mustang driver f**ked up.

I dont see how I was pwned. My personal opinion is that anything that comes it a 4 door or even more than 2 seater flavor, just isnt a sports car. Thats my opinion, and Im sticking to it. I dont care if the Skyline came in a 4 door. I dont even see how they could consider the new GTR a supercar, let alone a sports car, it has a f**king back seat!! My idea of a sports car is a car that is designed around being a high performance car. Having a back seat, or 2 more doors than needed automatically shows me that it wasnt designed around being a performance car. Again, just my opinion.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont see how I was pwned. My personal opinion is that anything that comes it a 4 door or even more than 2 seater flavor, just isnt a sports car. Thats my opinion, and Im sticking to it. I dont care if the Skyline came in a 4 door. I dont even see how they could consider the new GTR a supercar, let alone a sports car, it has a f**king back seat!! My idea of a sports car is a car that is designed around being a high performance car. Having a back seat, or 2 more doors than needed automatically shows me that it wasnt designed around being a performance car. Again, just my opinion.
its a joke.. relax.. ;)

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I know its a joke, Im fine. I was just explaining my point of view, and how I didnt think that even the GTR.....let along a Skyline falls under the category or supercar or sports car.

02civicsi02

5+ Year Member
Some of you have to spend alot of money to beat a mustang but I dont. Hell I dont even have the k24a1 yet but I have the k20a3. I am getting the k24a1 soon. But I can do the same thing to my a3 and still beat a mustang gt and all I have to pay is 300 for the head parts and I know someone that can tune my car. Its amazing that you can put a little bit of money into a k series motor and put down as much as a v8.

Dont get me wrong I love mustangs, I use to have one. Hell I have a 302 sitting in my ranger that I have been working on. And yes a v8 will always beat a 4 cylinder with the same amount of money spent on it.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Some of you have to spend alot of money to beat a mustang but I dont. Hell I dont even have the k24a1 yet but I have the k20a3. I am getting the k24a1 soon. But I can do the same thing to my a3 and still beat a mustang gt and all I have to pay is 300 for the head parts and I know someone that can tune my car. Its amazing that you can put a little bit of money into a k series motor and put down as much as a v8.

Dont get me wrong I love mustangs, I use to have one. Hell I have a 302 sitting in my ranger that I have been working on. And yes a v8 will always beat a 4 cylinder with the same amount of money spent on it.
so what does a 2002 SI go for..

stock for stock in drag racing mustang win..
modded dollar for dollar in drag racing mustang wins...

NOT being a d**k just stating the obvious..

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Lol Ant this is kind of like the illegal immigrant discussion......I dont see how someone can really defend the other side. Muscle cars beat imports in drag races. Stock for stock, modded for modded, potential of modding. I dont really think that "if I swap the engine, do engine work, and turbo it....then I can beat a stock mustang" is a solid defense at all. It does not make an import better at drag racing.

NOT being a d**k just stating the obvious..
........And if I had a dollar for every time you said this :lol::lol:

02civicsi02

5+ Year Member
Bought mine for 6000. And yes stock vs stock the mustang wins. Like I stated above they are 2x the size of a 4cylinder. And like I said its amazing that with just alittle bit of cash it can easily beat a v8. You apparently dont see where I am going here. A v8 runs off 4 more cylinders than our motors. And with a k24a1 all you have to pay is for the motor and tranni, then the parts from the k24a2 head. All this is still oem stock motor. Add some bolt ons like I/RH/E and get alittle tune that will take like maybe a hour and bam a 4 cylinder stock motor running the same amount of whp as a v8 stock. A easy 4 cylinder fix. This motor doesnt have vtec and has a very low compression.

02civicsi02

5+ Year Member
Lol Ant this is kind of like the illegal immigrant discussion......I dont see how someone can really defend the other side. Muscle cars beat imports in drag races. Stock for stock, modded for modded, potential of modding. I dont really think that "if I swap the engine, do engine work, and turbo it....then I can beat a stock mustang" is a solid defense at all. It does not make an import better at drag racing.

........And if I had a dollar for every time you said this :lol::lol:
LOL learn how to read. And if you wanted to beat cars in a drag race you should of bought another car dumbass. And all you have to do to buy a faster car is save money.

VSP

Just hand me the wrench.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Swear to god I just lost 4 billion brain cells reading pages three and four of this thread.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bought mine for 6000
my high 350+ hp mustang will NOT cost that much TOTAL with an engine with ZERO miles..

Like I stated above they are 2x the size of a 4cylinder.
which makes them ideal for drag racing.. they are also RWD.. which again lays a huge advantage..

And like I said its amazing that with just alittle bit of cash it can easily beat a v8. You apparently dont see where I am going here.
the problem occurs when you take that $6500 and apply it to a 5.0 car.. a $6500 domestic will be VERY fast.. not quick.. FAST..

A v8 runs off 4 more cylinders than our motors.
that is called a crutch.. and you lose credibility when you start to make stipulations.. a grand national is faster than my Mustang.. stock for stock.. it doesn't matter that it has a turbo.. cars will ALWAYS be different.. to measure performance we must compare cars based on total financial investment since that is the only real measurable factor.. you can make a Geo Metro run 9s.. that does not make it a viable drag car..

with a k24a1 all you have to pay is for the motor and tranni, then the parts from the k24a2 head. All this is still oem stock motor. Add some bolt ons like I/RH/E and get alittle tune that will take like maybe a hour and bam a 4 cylinder stock motor running the same amount of whp as a v8 stock.
you are overly concerned about stipulations.. stock motor this.. bolt ons that.. bolt ons on a v8 car make a pretty substantial difference..

if you want to argue hondas handle better... or get better fuel economy.. you wont hear a peep out of me.. they do.. they are GREAT reliable cars.. that can make a little extra pep.. but you can not even begin to compare to the power potential of a V8.. the sheer obnoxious size of the motor is hard to combat..

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Bought mine for 6000. And yes stock vs stock the mustang wins. Like I stated above they are 2x the size of a 4cylinder. And like I said its amazing that with just alittle bit of cash it can easily beat a v8. You apparently dont see where I am going here. A v8 runs off 4 more cylinders than our motors. And with a k24a1 all you have to pay is for the motor and tranni, then the parts from the k24a2 head. All this is still oem stock motor. Add some bolt ons like I/RH/E and get alittle tune that will take like maybe a hour and bam a 4 cylinder stock motor running the same amount of whp as a v8 stock. A easy 4 cylinder fix. This motor doesnt have vtec and has a very low compression.
Let's see.

I could pick up a Fox Body mustang for 3gs, drop in a built 302 or 351 Windsor, with a built tranny, upgraded suspension AND still have money left over for the money you spent on your Civic.

EASILY beat a V8? :rolf: My Mustang ran 14.4s all day from the factory. What does your Civic run? 15.8s?

And with a k24a1 all you have to pay is for the motor and tranni, then the parts from the k24a2 head. All this is still oem stock motor. Add some bolt ons like I/RH/E and get alittle tune that will take like maybe a hour and bam a 4 cylinder stock motor running the same amount of whp as a v8 stock. A easy 4 cylinder fix. This motor doesnt have vtec and has a very low compression.
I don't even have to transplant my tranny to do a engine swap. My factory ford motor had forged internals, it can handle boost, no issues all day. I could spend 3gs on a fox body, rebuild the engine for 500, piece together a nice DYI turbo setup, and STILL be making 420+HP and 470+ FTLBS of torque. For your 6gs on your STOCK Civic.

If I spend 2000 on suspension and engine work on a 5.0 I can easily run low 12s, high 11s all day, and still take it to an AutoX event and hold my own.

Last edited:

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Wow, somebody is stubborn. Looks like everyone else covered the bases for me, as those were the exact points I was going to make. And this site isnt small, there is PLENTY of activity on this site from a lot of members. You spent 6k on your Civic, and how much is that K24 swap going to cost? 2k? Know what, I will take it a stretch even further. For that kind of money I could buy a 98-02 Z28/SS with an LS1 in it for the price of your Civic with a K24 swap. Now instead of the Mustang, I have something that will have a current body style like your car, get VERY good gas mileage for its engine size (about 24-26mpg), make about 325hp/350ft-lbs stock.....and still be RWD. It also has MUCH more potential than your K24 ever will. Right there I have matched you with gas mileage, current body style, and bested you on horsepower and torque and drivetrain layout.

That was NOT meant to discredit the Mustang, as the Mustang also has much more horsepower potential than a Civic. Do you know why muscle car guys put headers in? Not for bling like Civic owners do.....headers on a V8 from a Mustang or Camaro will yield about 15hp, which is far more than a Civic will see with I/H/E combined. None of us here are trying to slander Civic's, we are still on this site. We are simply stating the FACTS of why muscle cars are better for drag racing than Civic's. If you want to whoop a muscle car, take it to an auto-x track......or just tell him you wont race until your cars have 300k miles :lol: