1987 RT-AWD WAGOVAN build!!

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^^I guess we will just have to wait for the interior pics next christmas...lol...

honda22

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats alright at least the 8x u said that were not double posts like the one ^ there

CivicFreak26

Human Powered is teh best
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow that car is starting to be a really nice build...just spent the past hour reading this thread. keep it coming :]

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats alright at least the 8x u said that were not double posts like the one ^ there
Thats alright, I'm just stoked to see interest.

I'll get the interior pics up once all is completed. I was focused on it during the clean up stage, but
didn't get the time to finish the "accessories". Now I'm very focused on the mechanical side. I was so happy
with how the interior was going, that I was hoping to finish it, THEN take the pics.

But hell, it IS a progress thread, so, I'll post some pics very soon. Everything cleaned up remarkably well, I was pretty amazed, considering how the interior looked when I took over ownership. It is just not totally right yet. Little things, like the ripped up drivers seat, needs to be re-upholstered, etc...

Of course, I'll have to tear half the dash apart very soon in order to change the wiring harness...:roll:

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow that car is starting to be a really nice build...just spent the past hour reading this thread. keep it coming :]
Wow, thanks for reading along! I'll keep everyone posted, as always.

I'll be picking the 2nd engine up this week (hopefully), along with the Teg wiring harness. Dude wants too much for the ECU though, so I need another source. If anyone has an ECU for around $30 for an 88-89 Teg, please PM me.

Also, waiting for a dude to contact me from craigslist about an engine stand. Hopefully that will go down too.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh also, funny story about the EQ. It wasn't working consistently, it would dip in and out, so....

I opened it up to find out what the issue was. It has a sneaky little plug in there that has to be pressed down all the time, or it doesn't make good contact. I tried EVERYTHING i could think of to fix the connection, to no avail. of fixing it. So, the solution, find something to hold it down all the time.

It had to be non-flammable, and just the right size to sandwich in between the plug and the top of the EQ cover. So, after searching the whole yard, I found just the right sized rock. Yep, now it works fine.

I guess you could say: It's ROCK solid.

Get it! Get it!! ROCK solid....like, because it now has a rock in it.

Corny pun of the day complete. OK, peace.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
For anyone who may be interested, my O.G. BBS rims are now for sale on Ebay.

Paste my Item # into the search engine.

Peace

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, so I went by to pick up my second SPARE engine today, which I mainly got just to get the parts off of it to put on my first engine.

When I got there, it looked like what I wanted, but just for paranoia, I decided to check the engine code on the block, and then....

OH....MY.....:shock::shock::shock:

...tear in eye...

Thanks for looking

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
will you be able to keep the AWD tranny if you swap it?

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
will you be able to keep the AWD tranny if you swap it?
Don't know yet. Looking in to it.

I'm not too versed on the ZC differences/similarities to the D16a1, other than higher compression internals.

I'm excited to have this engine, but a little worried as to if it will all bolt up the same as the d16a1 to a 3G Civic.

I hope that I can use it, waiting on RPR member responses.

I'll keep you all informed.

Peace

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Better Pics of the ZC...

...here's the ECU...

Also, these came in on Tuesday!

JDM 3rd gen Civic sidemarkers:

...and the JDM Shuttle 3-piece Front Lip. It's still a little bent from shipping. Should straighten out fine though!

Can anyone confirm more about this ZC?

* What gen it is (is it 2nd gen (88-89 integra?)
* Are the manifolds and throttle body ZC pieces?

Thanks for looking!

meanstreakcivic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Your car is coming along extremly nice. I am excited to see the finished product.

Its not a huge thing. But one of my favorite things you bought are the turn signals. They are AWESOME. probably my favorite thing about EAs

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wow! nice find on the lip! thats pretty rare.

as for the zc, it looks like its all stock, but im not sure if its the 2g teggy one or not...

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow! nice find on the lip! thats pretty rare.

as for the zc, it looks like its all stock, but im not sure if its the 2g teggy one or not...
so, by "2g", do you mean the 88-89 version, or later?

I ask b/c many people call the "2g" ZC the one that is from the early 90's.

From my research thus far, there seems to be some differences and inconsistencies in what people call the different gens of this engine.

My best guess is that this engine is the 88-89 ZC.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so, by "2g", do you mean the 88-89 version, or later?

I ask b/c many people call the "2g" ZC the one that is from the early 90's.

From my research thus far, there seems to be some differences and inconsistencies in what people call the different gens of this engine.

My best guess is that this engine is the 88-89 ZC.
yeah, i meant 88-89 version.

ive never looked at the two ZC side by side to be able to tell the difference.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
We'll, we've now confirmed that the block is a ZC block, but I'm just sceptical about the head.

I did some research, and decide to go out and count the teeth on the cam gears.

I'm counting 40 teeth on each gear, and they are both labeled "pg6".

I've read numerous times that the ZC cam gears have 34 gears.

So, do this mean FOR SURE that I have an a1 head? Or was there some obscure inconsistency in Honda's manufacturing of one particular generation of ZC heads, in which the a1 AND ZC had the same number of teeth in their cam gears?

Also, you can tell from the pics below that the engine is even marked, probably by the exporter/importer, as being a "ZC Integra" engine. Why would they mark the valve cover as a ZC if the head wasn't a ZC head. Mega confused on that one. Is there a possibility that it's a ZC head with a1 cams and gears installed? Why would they do that though?

Anyway,
maybe a ZC master on here can clear this up for me.

My immediate concern is getting this engine in running condition, and, thus, trying to figure out which timing belt to order. A d16a1 belt, or a ZC belt. Or, does it even make a difference?

Also, any info. as to where I can get adjustable cam gears for the d16a1 or ZC would be greatly appreciated. As you can see, these are rusted, and don't look too swift.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just found this on a wiki article

2nd Gen ZC (rarest)
Identified by: Internal coil, large dizzy, single butterfly TB mounted on slight angle forward, bolts on top of cam cover, black cam cover, large cam pullies. +7cc PM7 pistons, 43cc Pent roof combustion chamber. As a ZC appeared in JDM facelift AV bodied integra Si did not appear in civic or CRX, rarest ZC only produced for less than one year. D-series version D16a1 88 - 89 (sometimes +7cc P29 pistons)

Picture posted on article for 88-89 integra ZC

Pic of my ZC for comparison

Maybe this can help us found out an answer as well.