1987 RT-AWD WAGOVAN build!!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Updates:

I made some great progress over the last couple of days. Got the bay cleaned with degreaser and scotch-brited yesterday. This afternoon, I cam home, masked it off, and painted it with Duplicolor High-Heat Semi-Flat spray paint. Took about 2.5 cans to get the whole bay and front dam area with two good coats. I had a couple of spots that ran slightly, but they are not THAT bad. It was just a little bit too cold outside. I would have waited longer in b/t coats, but I had to finish a lot of stuff before sun down. Anyway, pics:

Prepped and ready to go.

After finished satin black paint:

I also painted some small misc pieces black:

...as well as the A/C condensor:

In addition, I rotated the engine around and changed out the oil pan gasket. It was pretty rough. Also, most of the oil pan bolts were hand-tight! Man, between this and the wack valve-cover gasket, no WONDER I has such a big oil leak!!

I hope to paint the engine and tranny tomorrow.

I'll continue to update as I go.

Thanks for looking!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
5. Go BIG PIMPIN' around town.

hahahah please do
This is set-up on my iCal for first of December. I'm going to tip the valet well. He's going to put my car out front in the VIP spot, where Jeff Gordon's Ferrari usually parks. I WILL take pictures of this!

BIG PIMPIN'!

ScratchNSniff

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice man...we are having another meet coming up on December 13...a Saturday...this one is going to be held in Greenville, SC...I am hosting it...maybe if you have time and the car is ready you could come hang out with us...I will see this car one day...lol...

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
awesome man... glad to see some more progress.

sad to see your not using the ZC tho, but with some boost, that D15 would be quick!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice man...we are having another meet coming up on December 13...a Saturday...this one is going to be held in Greenville, SC...I am hosting it...maybe if you have time and the car is ready you could come hang out with us...I will see this car one day...lol...
It would be AWESOME to be able to make it out. I'll keep this in mind. I'm hoping to have the car ready first of December, so it could work out that I'm able to make it. We'll see...

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
awesome man... glad to see some more progress.

sad to see your not using the ZC tho, but with some boost, that D15 would be quick!
Thanks. Yeah, the ZC would have been nice. Just too much of a headache right now. I'm actually hoping to sell it this weekend, and possibly pick up an 87 Si head to put on my D15 from the seller, as well as a set of headers. These should really help out my flow a lot. We'll see how the sale goes....

Stinky

East_Coast_Chopstix
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
let me know if you make it to greenville. I live in asheville, and would love to come down and see this thing. Wagons have always held a big place in my heart. This one is like none other. I love it!! Keep it up!

PS i know a local guy that has a lot of obd0 stuff floating around. He parts out cars. If you need wiring, ecu's, etc, im sure he can hook you up. He sometimes just gives the stuff away...

Honda9206

Working on the 92 DX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just read the whole theard and subscribed. Cant wait to see the completed wago.

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Updates:

Picked up an Si head and torque-step headers from a local guy who is also buying my ZC, D16a1, and ECU. Perfect!

Good friends Ben and RPR member Billy came over once again Saturday morning to give me some much needed assistance. Billy is a master, he did the following IN 18 DEGREE WEATHER, in an HOUR AND A HALF....

Pulled my head; broke it down;pulled my DX camshaft

Broke down the Si head, put my DX camshaft in it;cleaned and lubed head bolts; reassemble everything and torqued it all back down to spec

Cleaned to of the block and piston tops; cleaned bottom of head and valves

Reassemble everything with a new head gasket.

I'm no automotive genius or anything, but I just find that AMAZING! GREAT JOB BILLY!!

We did not deck the head, because the old gasket came off very smoothly. The two surfaces cleaned up very nice, and we feel that we can get by without doing this. It looked as if a head job was probably done within he last 12,000 miles, or so. I hope we are right! Only time will tell.

While he worked his mechanical magic, I have busy doing the following:

Cleaning and painting the whole engine and tranny, pretty much every last detail of it. I'll post pics up soon, once the iPhone decides to start working again. It is stuck in "recovery" mode, and apple support is closed on the weekends. ????!!!!!

The sidedraft dual-carb set-up is the ol' skool bomb-diggidy!

We are hoping to have the engine totally reassembled and ready to go back in on Wednesday, hopefully rolling around on 4 wheels again by this coming weekend.

Pics to come in the following days.

Thanks for looking!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So, why did my thread get "moved" again?

You can't see when it's been updated. Can a mod fix this?!

Thanks!

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Subscribed, cool build!

EastCoastEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Updates:

She's In!

This is a DX block with an '85 Civic Si head. New plugs, gaskets, belts, oil filter, etc...
Si oil pan comes standard on the 4WD wagons =) I have a set of wrapped headers, painted flat black, to match my intake manifold. This set-up should flow A LOT better than my previous OEM set-up. Plus, no more vac boxes!

More pics from today's work...

New Centerforce performance clutch/pressure plate:

"Billy the Kid" getting the cleaned, painted, and prepped mini-me ready to go back to her HOME again!

The new dual Mikuni side-draft carb set-up with custom-fabbed intake manifold.

I feel like these complete my "O.G." theme for the engine. Very excited to see how they run.

We hope to continue on Friday, and get this thing running. I'll post updates as usual.

Thanks for looking!