1988 Honda CRX (Base Model) 700$ Yay/NAY?

200STM

A guy who works at the same place I do is selling a 1988 Honda Crx base model for $700. All I got so far is the body is in decent shape except the bumper is held by a jumper cable and the interior is fine except he told me someone damaged the plastic where the ignition switch is. He told me it needs registration and 2 year old tags along with saying the drivers side tire what ever is connected to it (Im a newb still) is failing it kinda moves to the left and the check engine light just popped on. All he has done according to him is change the gaskets and he says it might need a radiator flush or something (i need to double check on that). It has 176,000 miles is a 4 speed automatic. I am tempted mainly by the good body condition and the miles (my current vehicle a 92 honda civic lx has 325k!). I havent test driven yet but I got the vin number. Okay Clubcivic Is 700$ a decent deal at a stock 88 CRX with smog passibility unknown?
[/IMG]

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It depends. Test drive it first! :lol:

$700 for it running fine --- yes
$700 for it running like s*** --- no

Not sure what you mean with the driver side tire issue (bearing, ball joint or tie rod if the wheel is moving in ways it's not supposed to) but that + the CEL being on + "maybe" needing a radiator flush leads me to believe this car needs some work. A $700 car could turn into a $1700 car real quick.

200STM

Im going to look into it, he drives it to work 5x a week at 10 miles a day, so if its making it across our town it might be ok. Im going to check it out, Im trying to remember what that drivers side tire problem is he said like its rotting away or something i checked the spots behind the wheels no rust from what I seen. Electrical works fine has everything inside stock to the damn working cassette and dials where u can move the ac/thermo (both working condtition) my civic needs a dial to move the ac to heat. Im going to see if I can test drive it asap. Ill do a quick 4 mile run around a few blocks and see for myself if its a good feel. i really appreciate explode. Im tempted mainly by how cheap but also very weary, i can sell my 92 civic for a good amount to fix this but i need to estimate what the damage will be. Gotta admit the body is nice its dirty in the picture but silver with that red stripping looks nice hopefully we got a winner here. ADVICE!!!: this could be my 2nd car as in I want to make sure what to look out for when Im test driving and getting a better observation what should I look out for Club Civic bros?

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
325K miles? yeah. that's a Honda.

700$ is not bad but you're going to have to put some money into it to get back to being dependable.

Offer him 500$.